• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help with Bench

Vman

Hey guys,
So ive come to realize my bench is really lacking with the amount of weight im lifting.
Most other areas are seeing improvements with going up in weights but my bench feels like its got nothing.
My squats have gone up to 80kg but im struggling on 40kg for bench :(
My weight is 81kg at 5ft 10.
My chest workout includes incline bench, flat bench, dumbbell flys and dips, am i over working my chest or not enough? I do 4 sets of each to 8 reps or failure.
Any help would be great.

To begin with we need to know where the bench is stopping.

Assuming form is correct most raw benchers have trouble getting the bar off their chest or the first few inches.

This is mainly due to a lack of lat and shoulder strength, which give the initial push.

My tips would be this:

1) Focus on your overhead press as much as your bench - if it wont move your bench wont either
2) you need to be doing heavy back work - both pull ups (try to get to 15 reps) and heavy bent rows (pick a set weight and do as many reps as you can for 5 sets, try to get everything 10-15 reps)
3) apart from benching dont do much else - maybe 2-3 sets of low inclines or dumbell presses.

I am also having major drama's at increasing my bench, though in my case it is due to a previous injury, but I have found that light, high rep DB bench presses, have helped with my stability during the movement, and have therefore helped in a small way with my BP confidence.

There's a famous russian motto.

"If you want to bench press a lot, you've got to bench press......a lot'

since you're posting this here, is it safe to assume that you're more focused on size more than strength? What's you're appraoch to bench pressing? Are you doing a training log here?

are you able to show us a vid (of yourself) doing a lift ?

Assuming form is correct most raw benchers have trouble getting the bar off their chest or the first few inches.

This is mainly due to a lack of lat and shoulder strength, which give the initial push.
Oliver,

Good avice and insight. I know my bench is weak but I also know its because I have a weak back and shoulders. Working on these so I can round out the torso and see some bench improvement. I sometimes stall halfway too but the top is the easy bit.

Cheers,
Mike

Hey,
Thanks for the few tips will keep it in mind.
I do over head press and thats at the same as my bench currently.
With my back work i do wide grip pull ups as well as dumbbell rows and with a lat pull down.
Yes im focusing more on size then strength here but would imagine to a degree they go hand in hand. Im not doing a training log here but i should probably start my own personal one for my own benefit.
My approach to bench is getting 8 reps out and having it heavy enough to fail on 8 reps or just after it.

So if you do 8 reps of 40kg, what do you do? Are you adding more weight & still working on 8 reps? Try 42.5k & doing 6 reps, for example.....if you get three sets of 6 reps...add more weight

He's benchibg 40kg FFS he needs time under the bar and someone showing him how to press correctly, not weak point training.

To the op. Post up your exact program and diet. Also a vid of you squatting, benching and deadlifting if possible.
Posted via Mobile Device