• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help me with my carbs

I do nearly zero cardio these days but have a fairly high NEAT. Yesterday's bag work was first real session in a while. Done in 32mins.

We are not saying to eat only junk food. Just include something that you may consider junk if you need to up your cals. If the majority of your diet is based on whole unprocessed foods then you will be receiving plenty of micronutrients.

If you want to know about nutrition I would suggest the following:
Emma-Leigh
IIFYM - What does it mean? - Bodybuilding.com Forums
Lyle McDonald - Bodyrecomposition
Nutrition 101 – www.body-improvements.com

Last edited:
As jaz says, there's no need to go from 1 extreme to another. There's a lot you can do to make it high calorie diet without going unhealthy. Lets say, instead of going for premium 5 star mince. You can go for 4 star with slightly more fat and calories. Pretty much the same protein content.

You could remove 10% of your veg and replace it with something more healthy and calorie dense. Like avocado, natural peanut butter, sweet potato etc...

Just because it's more calorie dense, doesn't mean it has to be unhealthy. Also just add more olive oil to everything.

Okay I have taken on board everything said and I really do appreciate it. I want to go to the next level and am just frustrated because I thought I was doing the right things long term.

1 of my questions remain, if it am continuously failing to reach my goal cals daily then why am I not losing body fat?

And shock horror this morning I had scrambled eggs with bacon and a slice of thick white Turkish bread with butter when usually I just have the eggs and 1 inch of the bread unbuttered.

Bring on the cals

I guess I need to post my workout next as that leaves a lot to be desired but am overseas for the next 3 weeks working so we'll see what sort of net connection and spare time I get in the mid east.

Thanks

It might help also like I said previously, because your lifts are so low, especially deadlift is lower than squat. Do one of the beginner workouts.

Got some time now oh iPhone so see how it goes

Last night I did:

Bench press 60kg x 8, 67kg x 6, 45kg x 22
DB bench press 22.5 x 8, 25 x 8, 25 x 6 superset with shoulder width press ups till fail
Romanian dead lifts 60 x 8, 70 x 8, 75 x 6
Seated barbell rest bicep curls 35 x 8, 8, 8
Seated db free bicep curls 12.5 x 10, 15 x 6, 15 x 5
Seated upright pec deck 5 x 10, 7 x 10, 8 x 8

Also slow reverse crunches and 10mins stretching

Followed immediately by Max's bulk shake x 2 scoops

60mins afterwards fresh made magorita pizza, apple juice, movenpick icecream x 1 scoop, piccolo coffee

Last edited:
It might help also like I said previously, because your lifts are so low, especially deadlift is lower than squat. Do one of the beginner workouts.

Sorry but where do I find those? Sorry but I am not a forum junkie so new to all this

Okay so my training currently is 3 to 4 times a week of:

Day 1
Slow reverse crunches 3x20
Bench press 3x10
Db bench press 3x10
Romanian deadlift 3x10
Seated barbell rest bicep curls 3x10
Seated db free bicep curls 3x10
Upright pec deck 3x10

Day 2
Slow reverse crunches 3x20
Squats 3x10
Leg press 3x10
Shoulder press 3x10
Bw+ slow step ups 2x10xeach leg
Pull ups 3x10
Tricep push downs 3x10

In reality I am constantly switching and changing as I read new blogs and articles

Last edited:
http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html
^ simple and effective beginners program.

You will probably find the one above more appealing, but "starting strength" is also very good.

Since it appears you are actually genuine, you need to separate out the concepts of micro nutrients (vitamins, minerals etc.) from macro nutrients (calories from fat, protein and carbs) when thinking about diet.

If you consume less calories than you burn in a week, you will lose weight, some of it fat, some of it muscle. If you consume more calories than you burn in a week, you will gain weight, some of it fat, some of it muscle. The proportion of fat vs muscle gained / dropped is closely linked to how much protein you are consuming (recommended is a minimum of weight in kg x 2) and the stresses you are putting your muscles under (lifting weights).

The health benefits of getting the right micro nutrients are basically unrelated to weight loss / gain. I am not disputing that eating good quality fresh food is an excellent idea, but the laws of thermodynamics are much more important when considering your weight :p

Last edited:
There are plenty of beginners programs about and ways to follow them, I have tried a few of them and being 44 years old the progress was still fast but caused me some injuries very quickly.

So I have used the basic guide of many of the beginners programs around and devised a program for a person that recovers slower that a 22 year old buck, with possibly lower test levels. Progress and adding weight is a slowed down a bit to allow for recovery and reduce risk of injury.

I currently have a basic routine three times a week,

Squat 3x10 reps
Bench press 3x8 reps
Bent over barbell rows 3x8 reps
Barbell shoulder press 3x8 reps
Dead lifts 3x8 reps
Barbell curls 3x8reps

Pick a weight where you can JUST complete all set as specified, do that for three workouts (three times a week ie mon wed fri) if you complete ALL SETS for all three workouts, add some weight to all exercises, may be enough weight that your next workout might look like 8, 7, 5 or what ever, as long as you can no longer complete 3 sets of 8 reps.

Build your way back up till you can complete 8, 8 and 8 reps (10, 10, 10 for squats) with that new weight, once you manage to complete all reps as required for ALL exercises for TWO CONSECUTIVE workouts add weight again and repeat.

Simple but effective. After you complete your workout feel free to add any isolation exercises or ab work you like but don't over do it, as you grow while you rest, not while you train, that's why plenty of good sleep and food is needed to give you growing time!!

I tend to add some incline benches, tricep push downs, occasionally will do chins, dips, ab crunches, not all of them the same day though:)

Some cardio on the rest days can also be a good thing to keep the heart and lungs healthy and operating as they should.

Try it and see how you go mate.

PS start a workout log and chart your workouts and progress

Last edited:
Thanks guys I will begin that program today and use it for as long as I can get to the minimum target PTC put in that link. I will start a log too. This will be good for accountability and asscrunching (ooh, I mean motivation!).

So basically from all the new reading from this site, I need to aim for 3000 odd cals a day but make sure I fill my protein (75kgs x 2 = 150grams (good sources such as lean meats, beans and shakes)) and fats (40% = 150grams (good sources such as nuts and oils)) and then add carbs (20% = 300grams) from anything I can find with preference to but not exclusively to good sources such as rice, bread, milk, pasta, oats?

What you have described there is a good recipe to put on some more size and get stronger.

You would not do yourself any harm by bumping up the protein level up to 200g, the bodyweight x2 recommendation is a minimum target as I understand it.

What you have described there is a good recipe to put on some more size and get stronger.

You would not do yourself any harm by bumping up the protein level up to 200g, the bodyweight x2 recommendation is a minimum target as I understand it.

Ok thanks.

So I could keep my morning 500ml vege juice plus my morning 500ml fruit smoothie to cover my nutrient requirements.
morn tea of boiled eggs or muscle milk shake
lunch of lean meat, soup and rice or pasta (easy to prepare in advance)
afternoon tea of eggs, porridge or muscle milk shake to push to 80% or 90% of daily protein and fat targets
then anything i like from that point on to get to 100% daily targets including carb heavy meals if needed

Ok thanks.

So I could keep my morning 500ml vege juice plus my morning 500ml fruit smoothie to cover my nutrient requirements.
morn tea of boiled eggs or muscle milk shake
lunch of lean meat, soup and rice or pasta (easy to prepare in advance)
afternoon tea of eggs, porridge or muscle milk shake to push to 80% or 90% of daily protein and fat targets
then anything i like from that point on to get to 100% daily targets including carb heavy meals if needed

Now you are getting it.:)

Not sure what this muscle milk is you speak of though, is it milk from muscly cows or something??:p

Just buy some bulk WPI from No Bull or Bulk Nutrients, at least you know what you are having.

These I used to purchase from Goodlife on my out after training. Now I get them in bulk and take then on way out from training. Recently I found they are not best for after training and better as a mini meal so I take 1 or 2 a day between meals.
CytoSport Muscle RTDs : Protein Supplements Australia

I also have Max's Supershred and Supersize for when cutting or bulking but have not had any for a while.

And I still have Tony Sfier's Whey Protein (unflavoured and 100% - nothing else added) which I have not used for at least 6 months.

Just over priced cheap protein mate, I can see the convenience side of it but not worth the money IMO.

Just buy quality pure protein for 1/4 the price.