• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help me with my carbs

marshalmax

Hi all. New to forum. Looking forward to reading more and getting to know people.

I have a question about calories.

I am 40 Male and weigh 75kgs. Been gyming for 3 years a began at 68kgs. Target is 80kgs with low body fat.

Problem I have is I cant eat much.

I eat a very natural good diet.

What I struggle with is this. My base caloric requirment for maintenance calculates to be around 2500 calories.

Based on this I need to take on 3000 calories when bulking and 2000 calories when cutting.

My problem is I struggle to get to 2000 calories on a good focused day let a long a day during my bulking cycle. The result of this is that I am very very slowly shredding month to month year to year. This is not what I want. I want to stack on during bulking and shred during cutting.

QUESTION 1
If I am getting less than even 2000 cals per day normally, then why and I not shredding at a faster rate? Could it be that my more realistic caloric requiremnet for maintenance is closer to 1500 than 2500?

QUESTION 2
I am looking for ideas on how to get 3000 calc per day and I am not open to eating 4 chicken breasts. I already eat chicken and brown rice and tonnes of veges per day along with tuna, salmon and lean meats. Is there really any good meal replacement shakes that dont have nasty things in them that I could take 2 or 3 times a day?

Being 40 I need to be aware that excess cals will go straight to my belly before anywhere else so I need to be careful.

Hi all. New to forum. Looking forward to reading more and getting to know people.

I am 40 Male and weigh 75kgs. Been gyming for 3 years a began at 68kgs. Target is 80kgs with low body fat.

What I struggle with is this. My base caloric requirment for maintenance calculates to be around 2500 calories.

Based on this I need to take on 3000 calories when bulking and 2000 calories when cutting.

My problem is I struggle to get to 2000 calories on a good focused day let a long a day during my bulking cycle. The result of this is that I am very very slowly shredding month to month year to year. This is not what I want. I want to stack on during bulking and shred during cutting.

QUESTION 1
If I am getting less than even 2000 cals per day normally, then why and I not shredding at a faster rate? Could it be that my more realistic caloric requiremnet for maintenance is closer to 1500 than 2500?

QUESTION 2
I am looking for ideas on how to get 3000 calc per day and I am not open to eating 4 chicken breasts. I already eat chicken and brown rice and tonnes of veges per day along with tuna, salmon and lean meats. Is there really any good meal replacement shakes that dont have nasty things in them that I could take 2 or 3 times a day?

Being 40 I need to be aware that excess cals will go straight to my belly before anywhere else so I need to be careful.

hit your protine for the day then add cals with high calorie dense food, Peanut butter, nuts ect.

Just eat, dosent have to be chicken, tuna and rice.

There are so many good foods to make, If you can cook it helps a shit load.

you could even do what your doing, And just add a 2l milk each day....

Question 1 - because you eating far to little, are you actually counting? or your guessing 2000 cals? Whats your macros look like?

question 2, See my first post

If you struggle to get to 2,000 cals per day you're doing something wrong. Drink milk, eat peanut butter sandwiches, 100 grams of cashews, large bowl of pasta, ice cream, etc.

2000 calories is nothing, just meet your daily protein requirement and then have a big mac or a couple of double cheese burgers.

A bowl of spaghetti, and/or a few protein shakes with milk and dextrose added will get the cals up quick.

Most people have the opposite problem, I am struggling to stay below 2500 cals to try and lose some fat, I need at least a 1000cals to feel half way satisfied for a meal, so I generally have about 1200cals for dinner and split the rest during the day.

QUESTION 1

QUESTION 2

Hi

We may be able to get you on a faster track to your goals if we understand you and what you eat a bit more.

I dont mean to answer your questions with questions but thats kind of how this has to work :)

Firstly How did you work out your calorie requirements?
How did you weigh yourself?
What formular did you use to calculate calorie requirements?
How are you calculating your food consumption?
How many Calories do you expend per week?

Can you post up your weight in:
1/ Total Lean Mass
2/ Total Mass

Can you post up everything you eat for the day? You cant just say "I eat a very natural good diet' and wonder why you not gaining or loosing..

Post up what your eating some way like this...

Coles Quick oats 100gm
Musashi P30 Powder 100gm
Coles Low Fat Milk 250ml
Coles Band Chocolate muffin 1
Fillet Steak Raw weight 300gm
Gravox Mushroom Gravy 1 Tbs
White Rice Dry Weight 100gm
Chicken Thighs Raw Weight 700g
Tip Top Multigrain 2 slices
Coles Unsalted Butter 20gm
Fish Oil 1000 Caps 6
Muscle Max Pre Workout 30gm
Biggest Looser MRP 55g

You cannot miss a thing, If you drink a 250ml of V can it needs to go in your calculations.

Its better to work everything out by the week but daily will be a good start

This will help us to help you bro

Last edited:
Okay here we go:

For base calorie intake I used a common formula from a few of the bodybuilding guys I follow being

body weight in pounds x 17-20 = base calories required per day
75 x 2.2 x 17 = 2805 calc per day base

+ 500 for bulking - 500 for cutting

Morning at wake I juice 1 kg of 10 different vegetables (apple, broccoli, carrot, cabbage, capsicum, tomato, celery, beetroot, cucumber, beans). I weighed each portion and compared it to 100grams of the same on calorieKing.com.au for a total of
11 prot, 1 fat, 36 carbs, 195 cals

Morning Smoothie of 1/2 cup Almond Milk, heaped spoon of Greek Yogurt, 2 x raw eggs, heaped teaspoon of cinnamon, tablespoon of flaxseed oil, tablespoon of macadamia oil, handful of raspberries, handful of blueberries, half a banana for a total of
30 prot, 33 fat, 25 carbs, 513 cals

1 x Piccolo coffee (espresso with tiny portion of milk)

Morning tea of 2 x soft boiled eggs for a total of
14 prot, 12 fat, 0 carbs, 180 cals

Lunch of 1/2 can tuna, 1/2 can vege soup, 1 cup of cooked brown rice for a total of
39 prot, 4 fat, 60 carbs, 434 calcs

After gym I have a Muscle Milk ready to drink of
34 prot, 17 fat, 17 carbs, 357 cals

Dinner is lean meet such as lean beef mince, 200g mixed fresh vege, 1 cup of cooked brown rice for a total of
40 prot, 12 fat, 56 carbs, 490 cals

So all this day would be
154 prot, 66 fat, 194 carbs, 1990 cals

On a cutting phase I remove the rice from both meals and the breaky smoothie.
Some days I get 2 boiled eggs in at morning and/or afternoon tea.

On a cheat day 1 day a week I may have small coke (never diet), pizza (homemade), icecream, chocolate (90% dark), pasta, glass of red wine. I never drink more than 1 glass of alcohol on any day, nor do I drink V or Red Bull or shit like that, nor fast food.

My PT from Goodlife about 2 months ago measure my stats and said I was 25% body fat.

disregard 100% clean eating. Eat more food in total. (liquid cals if you have to, milk is a good choice)

2 pop tarts = 400cals. Takes about 2mins to eat and won't fill you up at all.

How tall are you? 25% of body fat at your weight is pretty high? What are your lifts like? Squat/deadlift/etc?

You can half the veg in the morning, it contains lots of fibre which will fill you up, but not many calories for obvious reason. Replace it with something calorie dense. What's the deal with cheat day? Are you trying to bulk up or lose weight?

My goal is to bulk up with less body fat. To get to 80-85kgs but lean. Not show lean but.

I try to bulk 1 month then cut 1 month but it often overlaps.

Cheat day was a thing I picked up Tim ferris' 4hr body book.

I eat healthy because I believe not doing so will increase the chance of my cals going to my 40yo belly.

I will posting a pic as a reference.

I appreciate the help so far.

I am 175cm

To be truthful my weights are not impressive. Being only 3 yrs in gym and not much sports prior I still have low strength compared with what I prob should have. I train 3 times a week usually 6 exercises of 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps to failure.

Bench is at 70kg
Squats at 80kg
Dead lift around 60 kHz
DB bicep curls at 12.5kgs

Last edited:
My goal is to bulk up with less body fat.

That's an oxymoron right there. You don't have a say where your body fat will go. It doesn't matter what it is. Just because you eat fat, doesn't mean that it will go to fat. Your body will decide on where to put the extra calories.

Like Semillon said, 1000 Cals is still 1000 Cals. Also like above, if you are so worried about the shape of your gut, I would focus more on your squats and deadlifts. Also age is non-issue. I'm 35 and I had lots of surgeries and my body/skeleton is a wreck. Too many nasty injuries to mention. My deadlift and squat are 2 times my body weight after 3 knee surgries, (bench is around 1 x BW, but I've nasty wrist injuries). I also don't have any belly issues. I know lots of guys in their 40s who don't either.

If after 3 years that's all you can do, I would go on the beginner program and focus on compound exercises. Like squats, deadlift, bench, military press, pullups, chinups. You will have more progress in 6 months than you did in last 3 years. I'm actually surprised that your deadlift is less than your squat.

Last edited:
your body sees macros and micros not food names. Eat more. 10-15% above maintenance with adequate P&F and the remainder carbs.

Cheat day is not required (for bulking or cutting) physiologically but can help psychologically. Don't really see the point if you are bulking though.

1000 calories of broccoli will have the same effect on your belly as 1000 calories of donuts.
I agree 1000 cals too much from any source is still 1000 cals too much. But I also figured it was the source of those calories that made a difference as well. 1000 calories from donuts will be cheap sugar and cheap nasty fats = both bad for the organs to deal with whereas 1000 cals of brocoli are all natural.

Okay so I will drop the cheat day and get back almost daily oats and pasta and milk.

Dude I got better things to do than troll fucking forums.

I will check out your suggestions but what I have said about quality of sources is not an overnight thing I came up with. I have read dozens of articles and books on nutrition including some by Vince Del Monte, Sean Nalewanji, Dr Sarah Carbot. I didnt think I was that way off.

I took a look at jwpowas log and I can see what he eats but that is fine for someone doing 3 x mma sessions a week. Thats a lot of cardio work there.

Here is me so far.

myfront.jpg

myback.jpg

myside.jpg

I am working through the articles on nutrition and I understand and agree with what is being argued but 1 thing he is not mentioning is years of undue stress on organs and such from having to deal with higher qualtities of fake and low quality substances such as artificial sugars and fatty acids and bad quality flours and starch and such. Yes it may not affect how big or healthy looking you get but at what cost internally.