• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help from the Strength training crowd

Mackie

Fridge Kunce
Hi All,

This has probably been covered a bunch of times previously, sorry if it has, just looking for a little clarification.

Ive been doing hypertrophy based training for a little while and am due for a routine change in about a week or so - as mentioned just after a little clarification on the 5/3/1 routine as im going to do a block of strength training for some strength gains and to keep my body guessing.

I found this via google search:

Week 1. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5
Week 2. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3
Week 3. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1
Week 4. Deload week – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

I should be sweet working out my 1RM's and percentages of, just wondering do you complete ALL your usual exercises per muscle group or do a selection of compound movements and say an upper body / lower body split twice a week?

Thanks in advance peeps!

What do you guys think about doing 5/3/1 for bench twice a week? Reckon it would be too much volume?

I was doing 5/3/1 with Bench twice a week and it didn't feel like too much volume, didn't feel like too much weight either.

What do you guys think about doing 5/3/1 for bench twice a week? Reckon it would be too much volume?

I always benched twice with 5/3/1. Did my 5/3/1 numbers and 5x10 bench then back up my Mil Press 5/3/1 with CG bench usually, 5x10.

5/3/1 bench only once, but use bench twice a week as assistance.

You could bench 5/3/1 twice a week but you'd probably be best subbing it in for mil press and possibly using a different variation like a close grip, partial ROM, floor press, pause press or pin press.

Bench twice a week, OHP once a week, behind the neck press once a week. If you want to press a lot you have to press a lot.

Personally, depending on how frequently you train and recovery, you could probably bench 3 x week

eg
bench 5 week
Squat 5 3 1 w pull/gm variation as an accessory
bench 3 week
deadlift 5 3 1 w squat variation as an accessory
bench 1 week

be conservative, and aim for more volume over a number of sets, instead of just relying on 1 top set (I know it sort of stops being 531 then, but 5x3 is significantly more volume than 1x8 for example)

I have done 531 for a while, 5 years +, and quite like it.

All the program variations mentioned work.

Currently been running a push/pull/press full body variation and love it.

Day 1 squat, sldead, military
Day 2 power clean, bench, row
Day 3 deadlift, incline, row or sldead

Its very time efficient, works and leaves me with energy for other sports/activities.
Usualy do 65,70,75% x10 for everything but squat, bench, dead. Cleans are for power 5 sets of 3.

Just into my last session week 1 today - squats and leg curls - come at me legs day... Not feeling any different but enjoying a different training regime..

Really should test 1RM's at some stage... I have had a look at a few online 1RM Calculators but haven't actually tested them in the gym yet... Only noted PB's for reps

Just into my last session week 1 today - squats and leg curls - come at me legs day... Not feeling any different but enjoying a different training regime..

Really should test 1RM's at some stage... I have had a look at a few online 1RM Calculators but haven't actually tested them in the gym yet... Only noted PB's for reps

You are supposed to start at 90%. Which is equal to a 4 rep max.