• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Heavy Squats & Calf Exercise

H

Hubbo

First up Hi to all!!! (this is my first post)

I'm relatively new to weights - having done light-ish weights off and on for a little while, but time to get serious!!! (but a bit of a learning curve)

Any way, Squats. This seems to be a very key exercise for quads and I'm wondering how people do this exercise - as increasing the weight I'm finding it harder to get into a squat position with the weight up to my shoulders. I think this may become a limiting factor. Do people all use racks for heavy squats? My squats are relatively light (35kg - don't laugh!!!). Obviously I'm a little way off 100kg+ that some people do but do you guys lift from the ground or from a rack? Or will this become easier once upper body improves to lift the weights????

I do all my stuff from home with barbell, dumbells, and bench. I would prefer to stay away from spending money at the gym.

Also, what exercises do people do for calves? I've tried using dumbells and barbells with standing calf raises but I normally have to stack on heaps of weights before I start to feel sometime as well as doing heaps of reps. Justing looking for some tips here please, would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

I was doing squats by grabbing the bar from the floor until I got to about 40 kg and then I didn't feel comfortable jerking it over my head. I think it is good idea to join a gym or buy your own power rack (the power rack should pay for itself many times over though, and it is safe for all types of exercises when you're exercising on your own). If you can't do either of those do more repetitions for the time being.

As for your calves, try doing one leg at a time off a step. I find I can really pack on the weight using both legs, but doing one leg at a time I can generally only do approximately 12-15 repetitions (I weigh about 95 kg).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I've been looking at a few posts on YouTube regarding the squats and correct form - I think I'm ok with that. Just a pain in the butt (and difficult) trying to heave the barbell over my head without taking myself out in the process.

Ok, just had a look at the power racks... I'm sold. When is Christmas again???? oh..... crap....