• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Heavy bicep curls

I don't just think it is just for biceps, but every damn thing.

When it is done correctly...with heavy resistance.
The leverage is so great that when the weight is in the mid point or half way it works your back as much as a set of heavy SLDL's and the downward pull on the shoulders work the entire shoulder girdle.

Very few could strict curl with bodyweight, an amazing feat of strength.

BB Standing Curls - 155 for 5 reps - YouTube

This is ok but he's resting at the top and bottom.

I think my form is even stricter, but could be wrong. Will post when i again do reps on 60kg. Was on track to do it around now, before i got crook.

but doing it with bodyweight is unreal.

Last edited:
Nice, my best is 55kgx2, I dont feel too bad about that weight now after looking at this blokes arms, lol.

Haven't got 60kgx1 with super strict form yet.

Good exercise the barbell curl
My thoughts on resting at the bottom, when you get to curling heavy poundages you either need to rest at the bottom to be able to continue moving the weight thus getting a full ROM or you sacrifice the ROM by stopping short and achieving greater time under tension.
I think both methods are effective though for building the biceps.

Last edited:
joe, you are not far away. 4 reps on 55kg will given you it when you are fresh.

for me 4 reps on 90% is equal to my 100%.

We are about same upper body strength but you are on way up and i may be on way down given my age. But i will try my darnest to slow process and curls are one of my favorite basic exercises.A 70kg stict curl sounds nice to me.

I have done 60kg x2 or 3 strict form before but I find going slightly lighter and doing more reps is better for the arms as far as getting a pump and growth is concerned.

yes, i train mainly on lighter weights, and strict form, only once a month going 85-90% or 4-6 reps.

I've done 4x12x40kg in this manner, never gone really heavy like 5 reps though
I usually follow it up with 4 sets on the scott bench

I've never curled over thirty I don't think, I'm usually too stuffed as I've always left it for last.
My reps are usually; 8~12 just one set sometimes two.

Not giving away too much but gooby is the guy zyzz wanted to look like
if you're all following me

Goose, wha is your sports or gym background over years?

Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now

“Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now” is a collection of more than 40 individuals from across the country who have shared how they have fine-tuned their strength and fitness regimen to suit their goals and needs. Do not be fooled into thinking that this is some “old farts” catalog that discusses “this injury or that one.” And it certainly isn't a “poor me” attitude that these contributors focus on as there's very little mentioned of what cannot be done any longer. To the contrary, this compilation has a very strong focus on what CAN be accomplished. These individuals are not to be deterred by age or contraindications as they have found and established desirable goals and have stopped trying to put the “square peg in the round hole” as they've grown through the years. Sharing their fitness program in these pages is, to say the least, inspiring and thought provoking. There is much to glean from these contributors and when you think there's no hope, read through these pages, knowing that no matter what, strength and fitness can and should be for a lifetime! – Fred Fornicola

Victoria Albano, Clarence Bass, Liam “TAKU” Bauer, Jim Bryan, Matt Brzycki Mike Buckley, Glenn Citerony, Mark Collins, Michael Conway, Charles Davall Theresa Deckebach, Bill DeSimone, Fred Fornicola, Logan Franklin, Jeff Holt Dan John, Sunir Jossan, Hank Kearns, Tom Kelso, Jim Kielbaso, Kristopher Kotch Michael Lucchino, Tom Mantos, Jim Mardis, Dan Martin, Vicki Masterson Keoni Ronald May, Steve McKinney, John Mikula, Andy Mitchell, Tom Mitchell Bill “Wicked Willie” Peel, Bill Piche, Rick Rignell, Dan Riley, Dennis Rogers Doug Scott, Bob Sikora, Peter Soderman, Janice Vale, Wayne Westcott Brian Wilt, Dwayne Wimmer, Richard Winett

“Exercise has been part of my life for more than forty-five years. It is far more important for me and all adults to participate in meaningful exercise to help maintain or possibly improve the quality of life. For some adults it is difficult to find the motivation and easy to understand evidenced based information. “Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now” should provide both the information and the inspiration to help get you started or find new ideas to add to current exercise regimen.” – Dan Riley

"We, the Baby Boomers and seniors, are the fastest growing demographic in America. Building and maintaining vibrant health and fitness benefits us individually, of course, but also collectively as a nation. “Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now” takes a look at how some of us "just do it" at any age." - Logan Franklin

“It's still unusual for people to be training diligently and hard in their middle to older years. So much of the available information and materials are geared toward people just starting to train or for serious, but younger people. I thought by being involved in this project I would gain a lot of understanding about how people have stayed motivated and adapted their training as they've become older. At the same time, I wanted to contribute my own experiences to this project because I believe they can be helpful to others”. – Richard Winett

To order your e-book copy, visit Strength and Fitness for a Lifetime: How We Train Now or email Fred Fornicola at fredfornicola@gmail.com. The cost is $10.00.

I had an interest in bodybiulding when I was younger, I've played a lot of sports generally pretty good but master on none.
I played mostly penant squash and tennis, which I really enjoyed, but never enjoyed the politics of sport.

I was asked by Fred to write about myself in this book.

Goosey, Thanks for that.

You said, 'I had an interest in bodybiulding when I was younger, I've played a lot of sports generally pretty good but master on none'.

You sound a bit like me. we are winners because we still have a passion for exercise after many decades. A lot of people, as soon as they realise their limited potential, unfortunately give it away.

I have a good friend, vim van weenan, 81 years old. Won state medals at throwing in 1950s, had world records in powerlifting in his 70s, and was leading hammer thrower in world last year. He is still deadlifting 180-200kg raw, walks many kms each day and so on.

I am competiing in vic master saths this weekend, just shot and discus, and will see a lot of talented athletes.

Last edited:
Goosey, Thanks for that.

You said, 'I had an interest in bodybiulding when I was younger, I've played a lot of sports generally pretty good but master on none'.

You sound a bit like me. we are winners because we still have a passion for exercise after many decades. A lot of people, as soon as they realise their limited potential, unfortunately give it away.

I have a good friend, vim van weenan, 81 years old. Won state medals at throwing in 1950s, had world records in powerlifting in his 70s, and was leading hammer thrower in world last year. He is still deadlifting 180-200kg raw, walks many kms each day and so on.

I am competiing in vic master saths this weekend, just shot and discus, and will see a lot of talented athletes.

I don't see many 50 y/o's pushing and pulling the iron sparto, in fact I don't see any.

These days if I play a sport my left knee blows up for the next few days and my left shoulder aches, I'm a lefty.

Squatting and deadlifting plus all the other exercises I do does not cause any pain, so I'm grateful.