• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Have I hit a wall? :S

Justy

I'd really appreciate a reply to the questions I've posted in my journal by tomorrow midday'ish. Click here for my journal.

Here is my entry, and questions. I'd rather have a reply in my journal thread, rather than here though... either or. I just need a response/opinion on what to do.

>>>>>>>FRIDAYS JOURNAL ENTRY>>>>>>>

Gym routine, Friday 20th May, 2011:
Squat 1 x 10 reps, 1 x 4 reps of 100kg *See side note, AND Questions.
Bent row 3 x 8 reps of 67.5kg (+2.5kg)
Bench press 3 x 8 reps of 80kg
Standing Military press 3 x 8 reps of 35kg
SLDL 3 x 8 reps of 112.5kg
Barbell curl 3 x 8 reps of 35kg

Side note:
  • There are 2 reasons I think contributed to my squat sucking today.

1. I think I've hit a wall with my squats. Either that or... Today I woke up (earlier than usual, at 11:30am - don't judge me :p), and had to do a session at 12:30pm, as opposed to 6:30pm as usual (with 1600 calories of digested food under my belt). I had breakfast 45 minutes or so before my session. I don't think I had sufficient energy, nor was I in the right frame of mind (having to rush myself due to work 90 minutes away from the beginning of my session). Basically, not enough energy, wrong frame of mind/rushed, and wrong time of day as to when I perform at my peak.

2. Before I changed to this routine, I didn't take any time off to recover properly from my strenuous once-a-week leg day, which occurred 3 days before starting this routine. With my prior routine, it would take me 6-7 days to recover (well enough) to perform another leg day. Starting this routine on the 3rd day of my 6-7 day recovery cycle means I wasn't fully recovered when I started this. I've been noticing every day I've been squatting, it's been getting harder and harder although it's the same weight. Pretty distraught that I didn't complete 3 sets of 10x100kg today. FML.
  • Before you ask - yes, I am eating enough protein/calories. I've gained almost 1.5kg in the past week and a half.

Questions for AusBB:
Should I:
  • A: Lower my squatting weight to 90kg? Or a lower weight?
  • B: Skip upcoming Mondays squats?
  • C: Skip Monday, & Wednesday squats?
  • D: Skip squats entirely for next week?
  • E: Skip Mondays entire routine?
  • F: Skip all of next week, but continue my current bulking diet?
  • G: Other? Any suggestions?

1. how many hours u sleeping a night?
2. Weight gain doesn't always mean u have put on 1.5kgs of muscle in that week.
3. It usually takes 2-3 meals before u can train at your peak. After waking up your body takes awhile 1-2 hours before it generally kicks into gear. I have never had good lifts after waking up.
4. Try doing squats on a monday. Mondays are when most are strongest as the body has had the rest on the weekend and glycogen levels are high. Mind you that depends on if you went drinking on the saturday or not etc

For this week i would do squats on wed.. Changing the days u train also break through plateaus..

Did a quick read over your log, so you had 1 bad session? Don't over think it, just keep going. If you really want start back a bit lighter do it. Don't skip anything, I doubt your over training.

1. how many hours u sleeping a night?
2. Weight gain doesn't always mean u have put on 1.5kgs of muscle in that week.
3. It usually takes 2-3 meals before u can train at your peak. After waking up your body takes awhile 1-2 hours before it generally kicks into gear. I have never had good lifts after waking up.
4. Try doing squats on a monday. Mondays are when most are strongest as the body has had the rest on the weekend and glycogen levels are high. Mind you that depends on if you went drinking on the saturday or not etc

For this week i would do squats on wed.. Changing the days u train also break through plateaus..

1. Anywhere between 6 and 12.
2. Yeah I know :L. It's getting cold so I don't really mind the added fat haha.
3. Me neither. Thanks for confirming.
4. I do squats on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for this routine, as opposed to just Fridays with my old routine - my legs are getting pretty solid already from this.

Did a quick read over your log, so you had 1 bad session? Don't over think it, just keep going. If you really want start back a bit lighter do it. Don't skip anything, I doubt your over training.

Cheers - I'm thinking I'll do this.

I am going to prescribe a 1 tsp of htfu.

Everyone has bad days. Eat up, rest up and smash it next session. Don't take any time off, lowering the weight might work. You may need to only up the weights weekly rather then every session.

And some of my best training sessions have been fasted.

i posted in your journal but ill also post here.

i think the routine has too much volume. cut squats to 3x5 and kept adding weight each session. the first 1-2 weeks wont be too challenging but it will prepare you for when your doing 130+ for 3x5.

But Haz isn't it Marko's program? Also if I was you i'd re-arrange the order (not sure if marko's wanted it that specific way or not).

Squat 3 x 10 reps
Bench press 3 x 8 reps
Standing Military press 3 x 8 reps
SLDL 3 x 8 reps
Bent row 3 x 8 reps
Barbell curl 3 x 8 reps

or swap SLDL and military press.

I am going to prescribe a 1 tsp of htfu.

Everyone has bad days. Eat up, rest up and smash it next session. Don't take any time off, lowering the weight might work. You may need to only up the weights weekly rather then every session.

And some of my best training sessions have been fasted.

I'm not sure on everyone elses opinion of having 'lighter' days, but it could be worth, if you're squatting 3xweek and doing as Leachy suggests (increasing weight weekly), going Day 1: 3x10 (the session you make the increase), Day 2: 5x3 (or something similar) @ the same weight as d1 then Day 3: 3x10 @ 60-65% of d1
This is (if my memory serves me correct) similar to either the after starting strength or practical programming recommendation for when you just can't recover from trying to increase your squat every 48 hours as a true novice would

yeh its Markos program and i think it has too much volume. its fine for beginners who squat 60kg and bench 40kg. but its harder to recover from 3x10 at 100 than it is at 60kg.

just my preference. and starting strength is 3x5 mon/wed/fri. starting strength adv is monday 3x5/wed 2x5 with 80% mondays weight and friday is 3x5 add 2.5kg from monday.
you could do that arrangement if you wanted to stay in the 10 rep range.