• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Has powerlifting consumed you?

LiftinLarge

I'm at a stage of my life where,taking a step back, I've noticed that powerlifting and the goal of getting strong as fuck has consumed me.

If I'm not lifting, I'm either youtubing pl videos, finding better ways to execute lifts, etc, thinking about lifting or even dreaming about lifting. That's just retarded.

It has come to the stage where my wife has complained that I PL 24/7, which is kinda true. If I'm not doing it real life, then I'm doing it virtually.

I dunno. Sometimes I wonder whether all this obsession is worth it, risking injury, and even if I do eventually become strong as fuck, so what? Where to from here? There's no end goal in sight.

I have been consumed more or less by the iron bug. Maybe I should take some time off to enjoy the finer things in life?

What are your thoughts?

Stop thinking about it and just do it. If you consume yourself too much over something it'll become boring and obsessive and this is your end result.

You know the basics, stick to em. Lift your weights for the hour (?) or so that you do, and do something else with the spare time.

Your not a powerlifter unless your competing, your just a dude that lifts.

I used to be all about the healthy life/lifting/recovery 100% of the time but honestly its fun but there are other parts of your life that need attention don't neglect social life, partner or career for the sake of a little more muscle or kg's on the bar.

Doing anything to excess in the long term is never sustainable.

I'm at a stage of my life where,taking a step back, I've noticed that powerlifting and the goal of getting strong as fuck has consumed me.

If I'm not lifting, I'm either youtubing pl videos, finding better ways to execute lifts, etc, thinking about lifting or even dreaming about lifting. That's just retarded.

It has come to the stage where my wife has complained that I PL 24/7, which is kinda true. If I'm not doing it real life, then I'm doing it virtually.

I dunno. Sometimes I wonder whether all this obsession is worth it, risking injury, and even if I do eventually become strong as fuck, so what? Where to from here? There's no end goal in sight.

I have been consumed more or less by the iron bug. Maybe I should take some time off to enjoy the finer things in life?

What are your thoughts?

if you competed and you were serious for results and I was your coach, I would be seeing you every night.

Your not a powerlifter unless your competing, your just a dude that lifts.

I used to be all about the healthy life/lifting/recovery 100% of the time but honestly its fun but there are other parts of your life that need attention don't neglect social life, partner or career for the sake of a little more muscle or kg's on the bar.

Doing anything to excess in the long term is never sustainable.

Yes.

Stop thinking about it and just do it. If you consume yourself too much over something it'll become boring and obsessive and this is your end result.

You know the basics, stick to em. Lift your weights for the hour (?) or so that you do, and do something else with the spare time.

Completely agree. Issue is, I get so absorbed and 'in the zone' when I make strength gains that I get carried away too easily. When I see weights which were struggling the session before fly up with ease, it's like a massive adrenalin hit, wanting more, wanting heavier, and wanting it sooner.

Lifting is addictive, like most would agree. It's controlling the addiction, to not allow it to affect other aspects of your life, that's the hard part me me.

yep, dont worry just do it
i changed my shifts at the charcoal chicken shop i work at to suit my training, and the nights i couldnt change we train from 10 or 11 at night to anyhere between 2 and 4 in the morning.
theres is a fine line between dedication and obsession, and i have crossed the line, but who gives a fuck

yep, dont worry just do it
i changed my shifts at the charcoal chicken shop i work at to suit my training, and the nights i couldnt change we train from 10 or 11 at night to anyhere between 2 and 4 in the morning.
theres is a fine line between dedication and obsession, and i have crossed the line, but who gives a fuck

Respect

*I once lied to get out of work early because I was squatting wraps that night.
*I knocked back a promotion because it didn't fit my training schedule.
*I decked out one side of my garage to build a decent home gym. I promised my husband that it was going to be converted back into the double car garage that it used to be so he can purchase another project car.
*I booked a Strength Coach course for later in the year so I can share the love.

No. Not addicted.

:p

Maybe you should work towards competing LL? Perhaps that would give your passion for the iron a purpose & your Mrs would understand the obsession a little more?

Its human nature to want to do & be better. Theres many reasons that spur each of us on of course. But if your trigger is getting stronger & relishing in that process, perhaps participating in PL'ing competitions will give you something tangible to work towards? And your wife an understanding of what's driving you?

It could be fun for you both too :)

Well you have to decide if lifting is worth losing your wife over, or just be normal about it.

ie go to the gym (or train at home) for an hour or two X amount of times a week and be done with it, no point giving it away and sitting around bored hating life.

Spending too much of your life doing any one thing is not healthy, unless of course that is the only thing you want to do, and you don't care about having a social life, wife, family, work etc etc

Ad.jpg

Powerlifting has Definately consumed my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. The first thing I think when I leave the gym is my next session. There is more to it than lifting weights, its about self improvement, mateship, hard work, fun, goal setting, it can be a distraction from life's shit when you need it to be and if your lucky enough to be involved in it enough you can help other people reach their own goals whch I think is almost equally satisfying.

Powerlifting has Definately consumed my life and I wouldn't have it any other way. The first thing I think when I leave the gym is my next session. There is more to it than lifting weights, its about self improvement, mateship, hard work, fun, goal setting, it can be a distraction from life's shit when you need it to be and if your lucky enough to be involved in it enough you can help other people reach their own goals whch I think is almost equally satisfying.

I agree 100%, and opened a powerlifting gym because of it.