• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hard Gainer

A

antlax

I am in my mid thirties, and have been strength training since my early 20s. I currently weigh 75kg, and I am 170cm tall. I find it difficult to gain weight (predominantly muscle), and increasing the weight on some exercises is slow. I think I am eating well enough (If I eat more, I tend to put on a lot more fat, and little muscle), and I have used various lifting programs. Can anyone give me suggestions/examples for a lifting and eating program (be as specific as possible). I have read lots of information about what are the best approaches, but I would like to see some programs that have worked for people.

Sustonen does wonders lol.

But seriously i would recommend doing the beginners program in the stickys on this site, either Fadi's or PTC's. I think a lot of posters will recommend those.

What are your current numbers? Squat/bench/deadlift at least.

I find it hard to believe that someone has been strength training for a decade and is 75kg, if they have been eating to gain.

Hardgainer is a misnomer - there's no such thing.

If you're having a hard time gaining weight, it's because you're not eating enough. Eat lots, sleep lots, take the linear progression train to perfectville.

Stuart Mac Robert has written some extremely useful articles.
Visit his site, most of his books are available via ebook.
I have most of the magazines.

Hardgainer is a misnomer - there's no such thing. If you're having a hard time gaining weight, it's because you're not eating enough. Eat lots, sleep lots, take the linear progression train to perfectville.
To continue where the wingman has left off, I would say if you are eating plenty and still not gaining, then a good hard look at your metabolism may be in order. Having said that, you've mentioned that you can't eat anymore and if you did, you'd only gain fat. I was eating between 13500-15000 calories a day with 10% body fat. I did not put on weight! My problem at the time? Ultra-fast metabolism. Solution when I switched over to bodybuilding from weightlifting? Slow down the metabolism by stopping plenty of extracurricular activities. Getting back to the subject of eating more and gaining fat. If this is occurring to you, then a good hard look at your training, or rather the effort you’re applying in your training (weight training that is) would be in order.

So in a nutshell, what brother wingman has said re one being a hard gainer being a misnomer is true, and I am proof of that fact.

The only time I would accept no weight gain would be if you were Olympic weightlifting and eating normally. But even then, after few years, you would have no choice but to increase bodyweight due to the effect training frequency has on your body, as opposed to the type of training that you are involved in, namely power training.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I have a plan for you, its very simple, take Fadi's advice for a start, that will help you.

You want a food plan, OK

Breakfast
350g of any meat with 300g of potato any type, cup of mix veggies any type.
Lunch
350g of any meat with 300g of potato any type, cup of veggies any type.
Dinner
350g of any meat with 300g of potato any type, cup of veggies any type.

Add a protein shake in between those meals, or with them. That's what i eat and I am trying to lean up to about 100kg, so it should bulk your ass up.

Training Program
Do the beginner program that Fadi has written, or the PTC one, they are much for muchness. The main thing is to stick to it for at least 3-6months and progressively add weight each workout, or every other workout, eventually you will only add weight once a week.
Do this, it will work, if you add a bit of fat that is ok as you have such a fast metabolism as Fadi says, you will quickly burn it off when you hit goal weight anyway. Adding a small amount of fat won't hurt you, so get to it and let us know your progress etc.

Good luck mate
Graeme

I have used various lifting programs. Can anyone give me suggestions/examples for a lifting and eating program (be as specific as possible)

Cute

I have used various lifting programs. Can anyone give me suggestions/examples for a lifting and eating program (be as specific as possible)

Cute
Seems he hasn't found one that works...or just maybe he doesn't train with enough intensity...hmmmm????????????

Fadis program, PPP, Rippetoe, westside, shmestide....just pick up the bar do a deep knee bend, pull from the floor.... Sorry.

All you really need to do is work hard, very hard and make it progressive.

Using shreks quote as a mantra.

Food? No rocket surgery there either, if anything stay a little hungry.
The intensity of work that you do will look after the rest.

Thanks for the replies.
Current lifts:
B/B bench press 3 x 5 88kg
Squat 3 x 5 125 kg
Seated D/B shoulder press 3 x 5 32.5kg

I lift each set to failure. I really find progressing to greater weight difficult, and weight gain is slow. Perhaps I need to change to a simple beginners program for a while.

A couple of strange questions!
The Hamburglar: Not sure what the press to bench ratio should be? Or even its importance - could you explain. And to humour your question, some pecs, not well defined.
AndyMitchell: And I don't mind reading, but relevance?

I wrote that Stuart Mac Robert has written a lot specifically beyond brawn.

Reading is a good place to start.