• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hard-boiled eggs

minithemeezer

This is an odd question, but can I hard-boil eggs tonight for my salad tomorrow? I've never cooked an egg for delayed consumption.

If yes, keep shell on or take off?

Yes to both as long as it's refrigerated. I always boil my eggs the night before, take shell off and store in airtight container to take to work and they taste delicious.

Yes.

Orthodox Russians boil eggs each Easter for the following Easter, paint them up and store them, and eat them without harm. So refrigerated for a few days is no worries at all.

i boil a whole bunch at a time and just leave them rolling around in the fridge with the shells on until i eat them. pretty sure ive eaten them after theyve been in the fridge for a week before... but theyre usually gone in a few days.

Originally Posted by Silverback
Soft boiled are better for the egg than hard boiled.

In what way?

Hi Nicole,

This is not a do it this way but not that way reply from me; I'm simply answering your question. So here goes...

You'll find amongst other reasons given on the benefit of having a soft boiled egg over a hard one is to do with cholesterol oxidation. I've written before about raw eggs and how their protein is left in the undenatured state as opposed to becoming denatured when heat (high heat) is applied as when cooking an egg. Egg would have to be my #1 food.

Here's some more info for you:

When cooking an egg, the cholesterol in the yolk is altered when simultaneously heated and exposed to air. Therefore, eggs should be cooked without breaking the yolks (i.e. poached, boiled, over easy, etc.), instead of scrambled or made into omelets. A raw blended egg should be drunk fairly quickly, or refrigerated, because leaving it out at room temperature will start cholesterol oxidation, albeit more slowly than by cooking.
{Health Scientist Panelist, Allan Spreen, MD, on e-Alert, April 3, 2003}

When one heats the egg yolk, changes occur in the fragile elements that serve to support the vital life force within the egg. The egg yolk, in many ways, is not very different from your own cells. Once your temperature goes above 105 degrees, you will start to suffer serious health problems. Similarly heating the yolk above 105 degrees will also start to cause structural changes in many of the highly perishable components in the yolk. The most obvious one is cholesterol. The more the yolk is heated, the more likely oxidation will occur. Our blood vessels do not have receptors for cholesterol, only for oxidized cholesterol. So, you can eat as many eggs as you like, without worrying about cholesterol, as long as you don't cook the yolks.
{"Biotin, the forgotten vitamin," mercola.com, July 2002} Editor's comment: Dr. Mercola's website is one of the most visited health sites in the world.

Okay Nicole, just to balance things out a bit and give a slightly different point of view regarding the whole cholesterol issue (and not just cholesterol oxidation or raw vs cooked eggs etc), here's what Dr. Ravnskov has siad:

Uffe Ravnskov, well known expert on cholesterol, and author of the book, "Cholesterol Myths", adds the comment "The idea about oxidized cholesterol is yet another myth used to explain away the many studies that have failed to find an association between high cholesterol and CVD. Oxidized cholesterol is a risk factor only, probably reflecting lack of antioxidants or excess of free radicals in your body. The amount of oxidized cholesterol produced by heating eggs is trivial. And the main cause of an imbalance between omega 3 and omega 6 is a high consumption of vegetable oils from corn and sunflowers."
{Personal e-mail to June Russell, Sep. 5, 2005} *

* June Russell is a retired health educator, researcher and journalist.

PS: Just have the egg the way you like Nicole as long a you're loading up on antioxidants (from vegetables and fruits) whilst at he same time reducing/eliminating all refined vegetable oils on the market shelves from your home and body.

Fadi.

Last edited:
^^ Thank so you much, Fadi. I actually prefer the taste and texture of a soft-boiled egg (the practicality alone of having runny egg yolk serving as a salad dressing is magical) but I was unsure of any issues of storing uncooked yolks. I've been doing it a few weeks now and all is good :).

Can you send some my way, Spewbucket? I'm quite craving a soft-boiled egg with a sprinkle of sea salt :).

I might have to start a new thread on oils as that's a whole other subject and list of questions.