• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Hamstrings – the most over-rated muscle group for squats

Oni, I reckon you can afford to adopt a more knees forward position with your squats, which will result in a more upright position. It will allow you to utilised quad drive more. I am long femured person as well. Sitting back just didn't work for me.

Oni, I reckon you can afford to adopt a more knees forward position with your squats, which will result in a more upright position. It will allow you to utilised quad drive more. I am long femured person as well. Sitting back just didn't work for me.

Got any videos of you squatting?
I've looked at all the dudes with similar proportions to me and they all squat in a similar fashion. I'd like to be able to abduct my knees more, I think this would help- but it feels like my hips won't allow it as I can't really stretch into this position. I don't really feel like my hamstrings are loaded either

UgILP4F.png

fI1KW7Q.png

tonyfratto.jpg

Steve.png

Maybe my stance needs to be wider. I don't sit back btw, I break at hips and aim to drop straight down

Ditching low bar squats would be a good start

My high bar squatting is even worse
Plus I need to lift the most weight possible, lengthening my levers won't help things. Sure I'll be more upright but it would take a good 40kg off my squat

My high bar squatting is even worse

Plus I need to lift the most weight possible, lengthening my levers won't help things. Sure I'll be more upright but it would take a good 40kg off my squat

Probably a good reason to do more of them.

I do plenty of high bar and front squatting

Do more then.

When I could squat my favorite was no handed SSB squats. If you lean forwards at all the bar dumps you. That sort of squatting got me stronger than any low bar squats ever did.

Do you really believe you are the only one ever with long arms and long legs to squat or bench.

Well I am going to ignore the people here that don't compete in powerlifting and can't squat due to medical reasons and sought after the advice of people that actually put up decent numbers like Scott, Dan America, Pritchard and Jamie Lewis

My squats are fine but I could do with slowly widening my stance over time

"i actually dont think your squat looks too bad. if i was coaching you in person there are a couple of little adjustments that i'd make but nothing essentially wrong with it. a little lean forward isn't that bad for raw squatting provided you dont lose your lower back posture" - Daniel America

"From the front, it doesn't look to bad, from the side would give a better idea." - Scott Wasson

"It's fine, stop worrying about stupid shit" - Jamie Lewis

"The squats look alright and the stance and movement good. Work on holding the knee drive out throughout." - Pritchard

Yeah I'm probably going to ignore the people that say I am not upright

UgILP4F.png

you're folded up like a deckchair... :D

oh.. what was the point of thread again?

Last edited:
Yeah I just need to find a way to magically shorten my femurs :rolleyes:

Yeah that sucks. My femur to tibia is 1:1. Long arms make deadlifting a breeze but sitting back shoots my hips too far back and torso way foward.

Still finding that sweet zone due to a fucked hip, but higher bar placement stops me folding over.

A good peice of advice i got was to try and sit down directly between your knees, this will push your knees out and help keep you upright, rather then pushing back or dropping forward.

What you really think if you followed these top lifters advise you would have seriously maxed out at a natural 80kg bench. Lol. Don't give me the levers shit.

Maxed out at 80kg on bench press as a natural? So he jumped on AAS to break through this "plateau"? My recovery ability is crap due to a nervous system disorder, and I still hit 80kg on bench after a couple of months, training by myself as well.

Should I jump on the gear to get passed 100kg? It's starting to feel really heavy.