• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym versus nutrition

If you think your eating enough, your not. If your enjoying your meals, you wont gain weight.
This probably applies to naturally skinny guys only, for us non-sticks (That's not a stab at you Sticky :)) it's just over eating.

It has amazed me that all the guys I've spoken to who want to put on weight, every single one of them has been surprised when I said, "eat more." To me it seems like common sense - you want your body to weigh more, that material has to come from somewhere.

But apparently not.

This probably applies to naturally skinny guys only, for us non-sticks (That's not a stab at you Sticky :)) it's just over eating.

LOL, all good mate.
But very true. Getting from 69-86kg was HARD work. I did not enjoy any food haha. Now, sitting down at 80-81, I can eat without having to worry about spewing :D.

It has amazed me that all the guys I've spoken to who want to put on weight, every single one of them has been surprised when I said, "eat more." To me it seems like common sense - you want your body to weigh more, that material has to come from somewhere.

But apparently not.

I have a mate just like that.

Apparently though he's just a 'hard gainer', and after about a year of telling him otherwise, he's happy to just keep trying new and different 'weight gainers', and i've given up.

I mean... i've gone from 70kg to 100kg (over a few years mind you, and without even looking at 'weight gainer')... but what would i know about putting on weight (my diet still has a fair way to go before im happy with it though).

/end rant

i've always had the stance that if your nutrition isn't rite then theres NO POINT in going to the gym to try and get bigger, DIET is the #1 Starting block for any form of bodybuilding, just a matter of gettin' teh gob around some of them calories.

Fuk you and your strong son Markos lol. If I could deadlift 140kg first go... I started at Squat - 40kg, Bench - 30kg, Deadlift - 60kg :(

Anyway, you say if you are enjoying your food you are not eating enough. I enjoy my food, And I've been putting on 2kg/month for the last couple of months. Is that not enough? I'm 85kg and 186cm currently.

A coach and all the good people from starting strength say I should be eating way more and putting on more than 1kg/Week, but then Nutrition experts who read lots of research like Lyle Mcdonald and Alan Aragon say you can only put on 1kg lean mass a month. In this article for example: bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html Lyle recommends gaining 2kg/month, of which about half would be fat.

Last edited:
Max has gained 30kg in 30 months.

The difference in the amount of food he needed to eat at 50kg and 80kg is enormous.

Initially 1kg a month is easy, after 30 months it gets old.

Max didnt deadlift 140kg first go, he did 140kg in his first comp, a month after training seriously.

Your progressing really well, being able to maintain that rate of progress is the key, most last 6 months tops, but when somebody can do it for 2-3 years, everyone thinks they are genetic freaks lol

I jsut want to say, if someone has had good gains in their first 6 months, how could they quit. I can understand if they have had no improvements, but if the gains are good, they'd have to be mental to fold it in.

I've put on 10kg in 9 months, a few months of which I was unable to train due to injury, of which I dropped my calorientake a little. All this following Markos' advice ;).

if someone has had good gains in their first 6 months, how could they quit.

Paul, you and I have the massive advantage of knowledgable people on this forum.

Go into the average commercial gym, see how many are deadlifting and squatting heavy.....

They all get disheartened after they fail to look like arnie after 6 months like the latest magazine said they would.

I realise its simlpy not easy, but if you are getting good gains, surely the avergae joe can see its worth it haha.

Its like pulling your money out of an investment when its made good returns over the last 6 months.

To be honest fellahs, the vast majority of gym-goers don't stick to any one routine or diet for 6 weeks, let alone 6 months.

And if they do stick to the routine for 6 weeks, then they do not progress it. Looking at their programme cards we see that they're using the same weights, reps and sets for the whole time.

Usually after 4-8 weeks they either quit having a routine altogether and just wander randomly from one favourite exercise to another, or else they get a new routine from one of the enter-trainers.

Last night I was talking to another trainer, I asked, "Who's giving the rehab-style exercises out?"
"Like what?"
"Like that girl squatting on an inverted bosu ball."
"Oh her, I gave her that exercise."
"Does she have stability issues? Some injury being rehabbed?"
"No."
"Then what's the purpose of the exercise? What is she trying to achieve?"
"She gets bored easily, likes new stuff."

And indeed some people actually believe that doing a heap of different exercises will stimulate more change than simply doing a few exercises and progressing in them. They believe this without having ever actually met anyone for whom it worked.

Frankly I'd be impressed by any regular gym-goer who could stick to a single routine for a whole 6 months.

But a kg a month is not normal.

There is a guy on here who claimed that Nick was a genetic freak lol

This guy resorted to steroids before he had made significant progress. As you guys know I am not at all against steroids, but I am against taking the easy road.

I have spent much time reading about the mind. You can tell so much by a persons words or actions in just a minute. A simple line on a forum sometimes tells me everything.

"I can bench........." novice who cant squat

" I know I need food to grow but how do I get bigger arms" will stay small and weak forever

"This is what I ate today" has no idea about nutrition whatsover

These observations have come about from decades of experience listening to people in gyms and forums, its why I appear short to some

But a kg a month is not normal.

There is a guy on here who claimed that Nick was a genetic freak lol

This guy resorted to steroids before he had made significant progress. As you guys know I am not at all against steroids, but I am against taking the easy road.

I have spent much time reading about the mind. You can tell so much by a persons words or actions in just a minute. A simple line on a forum sometimes tells me everything.

"I can bench........." novice who cant squat

" I know I need food to grow but how do I get bigger arms" will stay small and weak forever

"This is what I ate today" has no idea about nutrition whatsover

These observations have come about from decades of experience listening to people in gyms and forums, its why I appear short to some

People talk shit all the time. I never trust anything anyone says :p People always change. This is especially true on forums writing is really REALLY random.

ill use myself as an example....

i lifted for 6 months on the advice of the local gym goers, magazine articles ect....got no where..still weighed in at 65kg.

stumbled upon this site...absorbed all this fantastic information on diet, nutrition, hard work ethic and LISTENING SKILLS!!!!!!!

i listened to the fantastic people on here, did as they said, didnt alter this and alter that ect ect.

I am now at 94kg and have definately increased my strength. But im only still a beginner by far and i love nothing more than reading an intelligent post with priceless information and applying it to my lifts/life!!

Yeah i can deadlift over 200kg....big F***ing woop! i just watched a video of a fella doing 400kg x 5 WTF!!!

spend less time questioning S*** and more time LISTENING and LIFTING!!!