• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Grip Strength

That would be like saying if you can do your daily tasks, ie get up, brush your teeth and get to work etc etc then what would be the point in training with weights, as you can already do what ever you need to do.

No it wouldn't.

If you don't rely on straps your grip should progress with your deadlift & should never fail imo.

I agree Bazza, if you're not struggling with grip then there is no real need to do grip work.
But saying "I deadlifted 200kg just fine, no grip work so grip work is bullshit" is a laughable comment at best. Nobody gives a fuck about a 200kg deadlift and it doesn't mean shit. 300kg is pushing it honestly. But then again doing extra grip work will never hurt things and I don't know why people are so reluctant to do it, other than laziness or apathy

As an aside I do most of my pulling exercises with straps. Not deadlifting but my shrugs, rows and pulldowns. I find it a million times easier to pull with my elbows instead of my arms if it's not my hands physically gripping the bar

Grip and forearm work is an activity one could do everyday.
In my case holding onto the bar has been my limiting factor in my last set of deadlifting 5x5 my grip would fatigue before the larger muscles around the hip to a point where it would become risky to carry on in that it changes my form and it starts to deteriorate, just trying to hold onto the bar.

Extra grip work incorporating farmers walks I think have helped me hold onto that bar a little longer.

With farmers walks I'll walk with 45kg dumbbells until my grip fails, if that is half way through the journey I'll pick them back up to complete.
As with all exercise I believe there is an advantage to doing some mechanical work for grip from time to time as opposed to just static grip work.

In my case holding onto the bar has been my limiting factor in my last set of deadlifting 5x5 my grip

5x5 deads is a grip workout in itself.

But then again doing extra grip work will never hurt things and I don't know why people are so reluctant to do it, other than laziness or apathy

Because I spend long enough in the gym as it is, why waste more time doing something that MAY give me a benefit when I have to DL 300kg in the future?

5x5 deads is a grip workout in itself.

Because I spend long enough in the gym as it is, why waste more time doing something that MAY give me a benefit when I have to DL 300kg in the future?

1. It is indeed.
2. How the fuck should I know, you don't have to do extra grip work, it's optional.
I couldn't give a continental if you do it or not, it's your body.

You could have a good thirty years of productive weight lifting to do, i dont know how old you are, but you workout what's best for you.

I heard today that Pee toughens the hands for increased grip.
Anyone keen to try? Not me....

Well at least I can safely say I'm not the weirdest member of this board

Too much of weight lifting can cause bone or muscles dysfunctional.It's not about lifting too much of weight but basically its about gaining good physic.
You can never gain good physic by eating a lot or lifting a lot,Access of everything is negative so don't go over the top.

no.

Digging up an old thread. Closing a 2.5 is not what I would call 'ridiculously strong'. Most men could probably close a 2 or a 2.5 if they trained long enough with grippers. The step from a 2.5 to a 3.5 is however astronomical (not to mention the #4) and requires plenty of genuine hand strength. You would for example not find anyone able to close a 4 that cannot also hold on to a huge weight with a barbell. Initially people do poorly with grippers because it is a rather technical movement. A large percentage of people who start training with Ironminds grippers believe that they one day will be able to close a #4 because of rapid initial gains. Needless to say almost all fail even after years of dedicated training. For quite a few the hand literally starts to fall apart as they approach the #4 level and they retire from grip training with various injuries. Always best to focus on allround grip strength.