• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Got my scan results back. Advice?

pumpiniron

Sorry i started a new thread about this. I didnt think anyone would look at my old one so i started this one.

I got my Ct scan results back and it said.

No evidence of disc herniation or spinal canal narrowing. No bony abnormality identified. The doctor reckoned it must be torn ligaments..... he reckoned it should take 1-2 months to fully recover, i asked if there was anything to speed up recovering and he said that rest,ice, anti imflams are all that is needed.

If thats the case how should i alter my program as i cant do heavy deadlifts or squats at the moment? thx

Dont do any exercises that put any stress on the lower back for a good month, do heaps of stretching...then slowly get back into it....

As I said once your return way up the pros and cons of even doing squats/deads..etc..

p.s this coming from a person who rushed back into things and have re-injured myself about 5 times...

I was doing stretches the pysio reccomended when she thought it was a slipped disc, but i reckon those stretches made my back worse.

Last edited:
Sorry i started a new thread about this. I didnt think anyone would look at my old one so i started this one.

I got my Ct scan results back and it said.

No evidence of disc herniation or spinal canal narrowing. No bony abnormality identified. The doctor reckoned it must be torn ligaments..... he reckoned it should take 1-2 months to fully recover, i asked if there was anything to speed up recovering and he said that rest,ice, anti imflams are all that is needed.

If thats the case how should i alter my program as i cant do heavy deadlifts or squats at the moment? thx

Man, that's pretty f*cked up right there. I tore the ligament off the bone in my hand once and it was at least a month before it stopped hurting. Given that we are talking about your back here, I don't know if I'd be racing into the gym again. I'd give it at least a month to heal before hitting any weights.

However, I'd be doing light exercise (bodyweight) to keep moving, so long as it doesn't hurt. If doing something hurts, then stop, that includes the stretches that you were doing. I could be wrong, but the stretches for a bulging disc are probably the wrong sort for torn ligaments. In fact, I would have thought stretching would be contraindicated for torn ligaments until they have had time to reform/reconnect. After that, do light stretching and exercise to keep the scar tissue pliable.

Remedial massage may also help to draw blood to the area for quicker healing, just make sure that the therapist is competent with back injuries.

In fact, I would have thought stretching would be contraindicated for torn ligaments until they have had time to reform/reconnect.

This, don't stretch it but keep your hips mobile to allow you to not overuse your lower back too much during movement.

This is really great news. I was hoping that the scan would reveal no disc damage. Once a disc is herniated it never really fully heals, so take this as a wakeup call. You may have just saved yourself a lot of pain later in life.

Its very similar to my experience, which I described in your other thread.

I disagree with a number of recommendations in this thread to not do any back work. This is probably the worst advice at this point.

When you suffer a bad muscular injury in the lower back, you can quickly experience rapid atrophy loss of strength in a set of deep stabiliser muscles known as multifidus. These muscles provide intra-discal stabilisation and control. If they become dormant, as is often the case after a low back injury, this sets you up for further back injuries and in particular disc injuries.

The current thinking with back rehab is to get the multifidi going as soon as possible and building up their strength.

As soon as swelling dies down, you should set about working these muscles. A very simple activation exercise you can do is called a ":bird dog" - google it. at first you might only be able to do strict bird dogs using single arms or single legs only (ie not at the same time). It is very important not to rotate or twist or hyperextend your spine laterally when raising your arms/legs. If your multifidi are activated, your spine will stay rigid in a neutral position without twisting/rotating/rounding/extending while your arms and legs move freely.

If you only had to do one back rehab exercise, this is it.

Work up to doing 3 sets of 10 each side every single day, religiously. In 3 months your back will be heaps stronger for it.

after 2-3 weeks, you can start squatting and deadlifting, light at first and building up slowly. You should keep on doing bird dogs throughout this phase. Don't wait too long before starting lifting because you will lose too much strength and actually risk further injury. The other problem with not lifting is your muscles will shorten and tighten up, potentially setting up even more faulty movement patterns which will increase your future risk of injury. Your body will want to move away from pain - if you don't correct this movement pattern by lifting it will become ingrained and even harder to change in future.

Also seriously consider getting a lifting coach before lifting heavy again. Your injury happened for a reason. Its a wake up call and a chance for you to fix things. It will not only prevent injury but allow you to handle even heavier weights in future.

Best of luck!

Go see a physio, do the exercises they tell you to do, then lift what whatever you feel comfortable lifting

Go see a physio, do the exercises they tell you to do, then lift what whatever you feel comfortable lifting

Yeppers ^^ what he said.

And physio will refer you to someone like me more than likely. Remedial Massage is good for ligament damage, it actually makes up the bulk of my client base at present. BB's, PL's, sportsmen and women, tennis players, footy players etc - along with some specific sport injury therapies and some TLC, you should be fine in no time.

(I don't do the TLC by the way - you can pay for these services in a different section of the newspaper) :p

thanx everyone for your wise words, strong enough.. i will go with your program u have layed out for me, it sounds promising, thanx buddy.

should i continue to ice the area everyday until its fully healed?

It depends on the effect you are after. According to my first aid book, ice increases tissue stiffness, decreases circulation, decreases metabolism, decreases inflammation, decreases pain, and decreases muscle spasm.

Keep icing until the inflammation, pain and muscle spasms go away. After that, I'd say its optional.

Your hamstrings could be a mess, and possibly the root cause.

Rest the back, walk it out and address the strength and flexibility of your leg bicep.

Your hamstrings could be a mess, and possibly the root cause.

Rest the back, walk it out and address the strength and flexibility of your leg bicep.

X 2 - my hamstrings and hip flexors were the main cause of my shitty lower back...