• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Good deadlift tip

0ni

Registered Rustler
Figured this one out a few days ago in my morning session. Great for the guys with longer femurs and most females.

Typically when the bar gets to just under the knees or middle of the shin you'll notice this is the position that the bar starts to slow down. The momentum of the pull usually makes this tap out just above the knee and the hips are typically very far away from the bar.

What is the most efficient position? Hips as close to the bar as possible. So the thing you see A LOT of is people bending the knees and shoving them forwards to get the hips closer (hitching). Of course this is not allowed in PL so many people will simply miss the lift as they are not strong enough to complete the lift in this position.

But, there is a better way to get the hips closer to the bar and that is abducting the knees. Remember, to abduct is to take away or move apart (think children and vans with no windows). So what you can do is initiate the pull and shit will happen very fast so as soon as you know the weight has broken off the ground and is flying towards the sticking point, force the feet apart and really spread the floor. By the time you react to your brain telling you this (100-200ms) the bar will be in the right position, hips far from the bar and your knees will actually move out the way of the bar, the hips move towards it and the bar slides right through until lockout. From there, it's mostly your lats and traps keeping position- if you're going to miss, your back is probably getting bent out of shape.

This is almost identical to a kettlebell swing. I actually think SWING when I do this. I have suspected hardstyle kbell swings to be a good deadlift assistance but I was trying to get my swings to feel like my deadlift. The answer was to get my deadlift like a swing!
Although I can't do swings with my deadlift stance without smashing my legs to bits but I will work on it. A low pulley cable pull-through is ideal though- go for higher reps. 15-20 and of course you're doing them like you would a swing.

Will give this a burl next session, suits my pulling style. I can break anything from the floor to above the knee but crap out just above the knee and usually hitch it on my max effort deads.

My problem is breaking it from the floor, after that im sweet, any break through tips?

Figured this one out a few days ago in my morning session. Great for the guys with longer femurs and most females.

Typically when the bar gets to just under the knees or middle of the shin you'll notice this is the position that the bar starts to slow down. The momentum of the pull usually makes this tap out just above the knee and the hips are typically very far away from the bar.

What is the most efficient position? Hips as close to the bar as possible. So the thing you see A LOT of is people bending the knees and shoving them forwards to get the hips closer (hitching). Of course this is not allowed in PL so many people will simply miss the lift as they are not strong enough to complete the lift in this position.

But, there is a better way to get the hips closer to the bar and that is abducting the knees. Remember, to abduct is to take away or move apart (think children and vans with no windows). So what you can do is initiate the pull and shit will happen very fast so as soon as you know the weight has broken off the ground and is flying towards the sticking point, force the feet apart and really spread the floor. By the time you react to your brain telling you this (100-200ms) the bar will be in the right position, hips far from the bar and your knees will actually move out the way of the bar, the hips move towards it and the bar slides right through until lockout. From there, it's mostly your lats and traps keeping position- if you're going to miss, your back is probably getting bent out of shape.

This is almost identical to a kettlebell swing. I actually think SWING when I do this. I have suspected hardstyle kbell swings to be a good deadlift assistance but I was trying to get my swings to feel like my deadlift. The answer was to get my deadlift like a swing!
Although I can't do swings with my deadlift stance without smashing my legs to bits but I will work on it. A low pulley cable pull-through is ideal though- go for higher reps. 15-20 and of course you're doing them like you would a swing.

Coincidentally, I found heavy kettlebell swings (64kg for 10+ reps) carried over greatly. Haven't been doing them recently and have found it much harder to get the hips through.

My problem is breaking it from the floor, after that im sweet, any break through tips?

I'm going to need a video mate, could be any number of things

Coincidentally, I found heavy kettlebell swings (64kg for 10+ reps) carried over greatly. Haven't been doing them recently and have found it much harder to get the hips through.

I prefer to go much lighter personally. I get a lot out of a 20kg bell. I use my abs and hips to throw it between my legs so it goes down faster than gravity will allow then reverse the movement. It's called the RKC hardstyle swing and is vastly superior, imo. I prefer to do 5x5 or a single set of max reps (20+) after deadlifting

Nick Best is someone that does this. I do it when pulling from a block pull but cant seem to do the same from a standard height

Personally, I always found the deficit deadlifts improved the top of the lift. Especially when done stiff legged. Not saying it's a bad exercise though- you're using a larger range of motion just like a close grip bench does. The whole "weak point" thing is questionable imo. Pausing reps an inch off the floor then finishing the lift would work far better imo.

This is my experience about where you fail on deads. It's all about how you start the lift.

It's almost like a seesaw sort of thing. Start the deadlift with hips high and forward torso lean and you will blast off the floor and at max weight stall around knees.

Get hips down and more a upright torso at the start and the start of the deadlift will be hard but you are in a better position to finish the lift.

Now I am not saying either way is better because there is no point being at a better position at lockout if you can't get it off the floor to start with. It depends on you body structure and strengths what way works better.

The longer the torso, the closer the hips need to be to the bar at the initiation of the pull, the more acute the knee angle needs to be and the more upright the torso needs to be

If you haven't and you can I'd first get after the Squat, usually when the squat improves so does the Dead-lift.

But I also like what canobi and Bazza20 are writing.

I'm going to need a video mate, could be any number of things

I prefer to go much lighter personally. I get a lot out of a 20kg bell. I use my abs and hips to throw it between my legs so it goes down faster than gravity will allow then reverse the movement. It's called the RKC hardstyle swing and is vastly superior, imo. I prefer to do 5x5 or a single set of max reps (20+) after deadlifting

Ok ill be goin for a max withn the next few days hopefully 150-155 at 70kg