• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Golf

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Anyone here play Golf?
Played my first round of golf today , only 9holes , i was ready to go home after the first hole it gave me the shits , but i stuck at it , took me a dozen and half times to hit the ball but i slowly worked out the technique behind hitting the ball and got onto a few crackers

there was two of us playing the other player was a beginner too but had played a few rounds before , it took us just under 2 hours to do 9holes but we did have to stop to let a few others pass first

now i am on the hunt for a cheap set of clubs going to hit up cashies and the op shops and see what i can come up with

Play quite area times in my teens but not lately.
Wouldn't playing again.
Love watching it on TV.

played as a kid. Just got given my uncles clubs and a new buggy, so I'm looking to start playing regularly. Maybe get a couple of lessons.

ok i hit up cashies , shit they were asking a fortune ( like normal) , the op shop i went to had a set of clubs but it was old as the hills , put out a few scouts looking for some clubs so hopefully something will turn up

hey admin where abouts are you located and you right or left handed.

Check out ebay, thats where i got my first set from (mixed irons) did me the trick untill i was able to actually hit the ball.

Managed to get myself a new set pretty cheap off an auction website :)

I played alot of golf as a junior and have just started playing again the past couple of years now I have some "free time" again, its very addictive.

My advice, dont rush into having lessons to start with unless you want to take things seriously long term.

DONT try and hit the ball too hard, swing within yourself AT ALL TIMES.

IF your going to stick with it, spend a little extra and get your clubs fitted as the added benefits are countless.

Most importantly, ENJOY YOURSELF. My motto for the golf course is that "Im playing because I can, not because I have to"

I loved golf as a younger bloke and played up until about 2yrs ago, but I stopped and sold my clubs to a mate about 3 months ago and went out and bought a nice mountain bike to go riding with the wife and kids.

ok update on this , have sourced a set of clubs. My brother brought a new set so i got the hand me downs

In the past i could never see me playing golf, but i gave it a shot and found it was an ok game , could never see myself playing lawn bowls either a friend talked me into having a game , not as easy as it looks , all the angels and wind direction to take into account

Good to hear you got some clubs of your own Graeme, my tip is get them checked (length, swing weight, grips etc) from a local pro/club building to make sure that they do more good than harm for your game ;o)

I used to play quite (1-2 times a week) a bit about 2-3 years ago but now I’m only playing about once a month.
Lost the enjoyment out of it when i couldn’t just show up and get better and i wasn’t a fan of spending hours chipping and putting to see improvements. Playing once a month with friends now and it’s the most I’ve enjoyed it in a long long time.

Also if anyone wants to flex their e-penis and say how far they can drive it would be appreciated. Techniques got more to do with it than everything but im curious as to whether a 'trained' lifter can get it out there longer than a half competent golfer.

I get out driven by the local pro showing off with one handed driving than me giving it my all. They're always straight as an arrow too :(
Technique is way more important.

Decided i'm going to get lessons at some stage, even though I've been playing recreationally for quite a few years. Got to get out there regularly though. When I had nothing better to do, I would play 3-4 times a week on my own, got down to under 40 for nine consistently but that blew straight back out when I stopped playing so often.

Technique than flexibility than 'power' l think. Having said that my technique is dog shit compared to what it used to be but l can muscle my way out of trouble more often than not when l get stuck every single swing.

Where abouts do you play?

I can get it out there between 230 and 250, just not consistently and not always straight, but then again I don't play nearly as much as I used to.....I think I am hitting my 9 iron around 150 and increase an extra 10m for each club or there abouts.

I've never been great, got as low as 14 handicap as a kid...but due to my long build I had a hell of a swing arc and easily broke 250m. I remember accidentally driving onto a group on the green of a 331m par 4. Getting on in 2 for the par 5's was fairly easy, but unfortunately, my downfall with golf was always my temper. Lol

I've never been great, got as low as 14 handicap as a kid...but due to my long build I had a hell of a swing arc and easily broke 250m. I remember accidentally driving onto a group on the green of a 331m par 4. Getting on in 2 for the par 5's was fairly easy, but unfortunately, my downfall with golf was always my temper. Lol

l'd love to see how you'd go with a driver specific for long drives. The shaft length is a little longer at 45-47 inches over the normal 43ish. You'd have a stupidly big arc which wouldn't do great things for consistency but if you ever got a hold of one, holy shit.

Usually just around Wembley or Hammersly these days.
Sometimes get out to Joondalup or Secrets if I can be bothered driving.

l dont mind Wembley at all, the old course is looked after a bit better than the tuart course (not sure if l've remembered them the right way around). Greens are decent and there is a drivable par 4 one each 18 to keep things interesting.

Great game!

Played a lot as a junior but lost touch with it in the last 10 years or so! Played for the first time in 3 years, may be more last Sunday and starting to get that golf bug back again! Was happy to pull 230-250m drives after so long out of it... 3 putts killed me though!

If ya starting out... don't bash it, let the club do the work and don't over think ya swing...enjoy it! after you have played consistently and have a bit of confidence in the game definitely worth getting a few lessons with a pro at a club! I went to Ron Wood at Glenelg Golf Course (Adelaide), got clubs fitted and it was the best thing I ever did!

Have fun!

Couldn't agree more. Get clubs fitted to you even when you're just starting out not to develop bad habits (l've got some shocking ones from using clubs way too long for me) and get some lessons... Also practice putting as 3 putt bogeys / pars will make you want to go postal....