• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Getting Big Article Summary

S

Stiffy

So I saw this article elsewhere and noticed it was nicely written with all points referring to what I assume are a lot of peer reviewed Research. I went through it and have a quick summary of it for you all. Coz I'm a nice guy.

http://www.theissnscoop.com/getting-big-stuff-to-know/

• Several factors regulate the adaptive response, including hormones, genetics and protein synthesis.
• After a latent period after exercise of about 45 minutes to an hour (33), MPS rises sharply (2-3 fold) between 45 and 150 min. This increase in MPS may be sustained for up to 4h in the fasted state after exercise (33), and in the presence of increased AA availability up to 24-48h after exercise (34,35) or even 72 (103) before returning to baseline
• Training to failure and recruiting as many motor units as possible seems optimal
• Lighter loads lifted to the point of failure result in a similar amount of muscle fiber activation compared with heavier loads, and both fiber types are stimulated to a roughly equivalent extent (44,45).
• There appears to be no difference in the hypertrophic response so long as fatigue is induced. Lifting heavy or lighter loads, there’s roughly equivalent hypertrophy and strength gains comparing powerlifting style training (low reps, higher loads) versus hypertrophy style (higher reps and moderate loads), this time with equalized volume and also to momentary muscular failure, there was no difference in the hypertrophy magnitude after 8 weeks for “well-trained men”.
• However lifting moderate loads for moderate repetitions is less taxing to the nervous system, joints, and is time efficient compared to higher loads and low repetition ranges, subjects from the hypertrophy group could do more volume if necessary
• Training to failure could sometimes lead to overuse injuries (51,52) and for some people could even reduce the levels of IGF-1 hormones responsible for muscle growth after at least 11 weeks (53).
• So in short, so long as momentary failure is achieved it doesn’t matter how many reps are performed and under what load.
• Repetition duration appears to have no significant impact on hypertrophy
• Eccentric strength is approximately 20–50% greater than the concentric strength (61), even predicted to be up to 64% greater (62), and stimulates greater adaptations (63) and appears to be more effective at increasing muscle mass than concentric training. Eccentric exercise preferentially recruits fast twitch muscle fibers (64,65,66,67) and perhaps recruitment of previously inactive MUs (65,68). This results in an increased mechanical tension in type II fibers, which have the greatest potential for muscle growth (64,69,70,71). A single bout of eccentric exercise results also in a greater increase in IGF-I mRNA expression than a single bout of concentric exercise (72).
• Heavy negatives, assisted negatives, or supramaximal eccentric actions with a weight greater than concentric 1RM are some techniques that can applied for this goal. Since a muscle is not fully fatigued during concentric training (73), the use of heavy negatives is recommended. Isometric muscle actions can also induce hypertrophy (76, 77) and should be included in a training program. Faster concentric repetitions (1s vs. 3s) are more beneficial for hypertrophy Faster/heavier eccentric repetitions leads to greater hypertrophy in type II fibers, and strength gains than slower/lighter eccentric repetitions (79). Faster speed eccentric contractions release more growth factors, more satellite cells, and greater protein synthesis than slow speed eccentric contractions (80,81). A 2-3 second tempo is hypothesized to be ideal for maximizing a hypertrophic response (80).
• Very slow velocities (i.e., superslow training) is suboptimal for strength and hypertrophy Full ROM is associated with significant greater strength and hypertrophy gains than a shorter ROM
• investigated muscle activation for two hamstrings exercises: the stiff leg deadlift and the lying leg curl. Activation of the upper hamstrings was similar between exercises, but the activation of the lower hamstrings, both medially and laterally, was significantly greater in the lying leg curl
• (For maximal hypertrophy of an entire muscle various exercises must be executed to purportedly stimulate growth in a regional- specific manner. In other words, exercise selection and variety is necessary.
• Generally hypertrophy becomes evident after around 3-4 weeks of resistance training suggesting a more efficient response after a detraining phase
• Concurrent training results in decrements in strength, hypertrophy and power (although overall power is the major variable affected), however while some individuals experience strength decrements others experience substantial gains. The interference effect may be a result of overreaching and overtraining and stimulates competing adaptations over a long-term training program. The longer the endurance activity the greater the interference.
• Endurance exercise can decrease the speed of contraction in fast-twitch fibers (5 times faster) and increase the contraction speed in slow-twitch fibers after 10 days of training, interestingly they return to baseline after a detraining period (Endurance exercise before resistance training impairs the upregulation of translation initiation via the PI3K-AKT-mTOR signaling (104,105,106); and inhibits important elongation factors (eef2) responsible for increasing protein synthesis and maintains this inhibition for the duration of the activity In concurrent training, running, but not with cycling, results in significant decrements in both hypertrophy and strength (104), possibly because cycling is more biomechanically similar to the exercises performed for strength and resistance training. Running has also a high eccentric component, as opposed to cycling consisting primarily of concentric actions. Eccentric actions create greater damage, increasing muscle damage in long distance running. Moreover, sprinting (cycling) or HIIT (running) mimics the exercises and intensities often performed for strength and resistance training, and should be used on non-training days, if necessary for some reason.

Lets see what the heavy hitters of the Ausbb forum think, might just tag a few in if I may
@Silverback ; @Shrek ; @spartacus ; @Fadi ; @Darkoz ; @jzpowahz ; @vonfram88 ; @Bazza20 ; @Rugby88 ; @0ni ; Apologies to anyone I missed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Excellent summary [MENTION=12409]El Stiffy[/MENTION] ; are you drumming up votes for this year's "most helpful post" award?

One thing I'd like to question, "Very slow velocities (i.e., superslow training) is suboptimal for strength and hypertrophy"

How slow is super slow?

Excellent summary @El Stiffy ; are you drumming up votes for this year's "most helpful post" award?

One thing I'd like to question, "Very slow velocities (i.e., superslow training) is suboptimal for strength and hypertrophy"

How slow is super slow?

It says "A 2-3 second tempo is hypothesized to be ideal for maximizing a hypertrophic response (80)." So I assume slower than that.

Super slow training was a big thing in the late 80s and early 90s from my memory.

It's well written, and I like it.

From what I've seen, Training to failure, or fatigue doesn't work for some, it's very subjective.

trainng to fatigue, increases the intensity of work, the duration of the workout, would last (depending on condition) anywhere between 10 to 30 minutes, any longer and the intensity of work diminishes along the the effect it produces.

Yep, that's one of the big points I found. A lot of writers nowadays don't advise going to failure. I certainly do on the last sets. Thanks Silvergoose.

Ken Hutchins is responsible for super slow, I think it is a 10/10second cadence, no pause on the turnaround.

you need the proper machines, the ones that produce minimal friction, otherwise the movement at that pace becomes a stop start affair.

the protocol works, but for me it's as boring as bat shit to do.

duration of a set should be between 90 to 120 second, as opposed to counting rep's

Last edited:
It says "A 2-3 second tempo is hypothesized to be ideal for maximizing a hypertrophic response (80)." So I assume slower than that.

Super slow training was a big thing in the late 80s and early 90s from my memory.
Thanks mate, clearly I missed that bit

Good summary Stiffo
I like the article, to the point, easy to understand
I don't think there's anything there that I don't agree with

I have long agreed with following. This is what I have tried to apply, although getting near failure is normally on my last set with short rests..

Training to failure and recruiting as many motor units as possible seems optimal
• Lighter loads lifted to the point of failure result in a similar amount of muscle fiber activation compared with heavier loads, and both fiber types are stimulated to a roughly equivalent extent (44,45).
• There appears to be no difference in the hypertrophic response so long as fatigue is induced. Lifting heavy or lighter loads, there’s roughly equivalent hypertrophy and strength gains comparing powerlifting style training (low reps, higher loads) versus hypertrophy style (higher reps and moderate loads), this time with equalized volume and also to momentary muscular failure, there was no difference in the hypertrophy magnitude after 8 weeks for “well-trained men”.
• However lifting moderate loads for moderate repetitions is less taxing to the nervous system, joints, and is time efficient compared to higher loads and low repetition ranges, subjects from the hypertrophy group could do more volume if necessary

training till failure you just cant train 6 or 7 days a week

doing it 3x a week is max is fine so long as lots of rest to recover is given (while not in the gym

I will train to absolute failure in every session - be it doing heavy max-ot workout, or training to failure with high reps.....I also include "super slow" negatives - last rep or 2 - perform rep, hold for 20 seconds, slowly down for 20 seconds....

Unfortunately many if not most equate high intensity training; high load, heavy weights on the bar, call it by whatever name you wish, it’s all high intensity, and it’s equated with maximum muscle fibre hypertrophy. So is it the best way to trainfor maximum muscle hypertrophy? I say no, and here’s why.

CNS adaptation work has never been at the forefront whenever the main aim was muscle hypertrophy,... metabolic work is where it's at; metabolic workis what makes muscle grow. No need for a study here, as the whole world of Olympic weightlifters stand as a witness and clear evidence of what I've just stated above.

You may be concerned that lighter weights with very high (25-50) reps may not be sufficient to exhaust these high threshold type of fibres. This type of fibre is the type IIB fibres, and they are characterised by their ability to generate high force/power/speed, and are low on endurance. But rest assured and know well, that most bodybuilders confuse the issue of muscle fibre exhaustion with muscle fibre recruitment. One is CNS dependent, whilst the other is muscle fibre fatigue dependent (metabolic work again).

And yes, there is good news on the horizon: the size principle (where load increases muscle fibre recruitment is a fact), this rule is/can be broken when the rule of muscle fibre fatigue is applied. Again, this is achieved via the very high rep sets.

Now if your interest and main aim lies in gaining pure strength and/or power, then you ought to train like an Olympic weightlifter trains, and focus your attention on neural-efficiency above all else, because that’s the only way you’re going to be able to get maximum muscle fibre recruitment in an instant when you need it most.

Last edited:
Can you be so absolute given that many champions in sport have enormous power despite training in variety of ways.

no, not weightlifting or powerlifting. Specificity of sort in terms of skill and conditioning needs would support your argument.

I am talking more about sports conditioning in general.

no, not weightlifting or powerlifting. Specificity of sort in terms of skill and conditioning needs would support your argument.

I am talking more about sports conditioning in general.

I wasn't really referring to sport conditioning spartascus. However I do agree with you that "many champions in sport have enormous power despite training in variety of ways". In fact I've witnessed first hand how sprinters at the AIS train to gain maximum power in their chosen sport, but still, nothing compares with the specific type of power I was referring to when it comes to Olympic weightlifters, i.e., training specifically for neural-efficiency with the end gaol that is maximum muscle fibre recruitment over a one second (or so) period of time, as in the snatch lift for example. A 100m sprinter trains for power, i.e., speed coupled with strength, but is also interested in extending that power over a longer period than simply one second.

yes, weightlifting has its very own specificity.

As for weightlifting, as you know, there is some variation with intensity for programs, say soviet v Bulgarian in 1980s.