• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Get Some Big, HUGE, Strong and Powerful Triceps

lol, its a bit hard to point to the ordinary guy to show development because naturally the ordinary dont feature in much.

I agree that dips and presses are awesome for upper body development (benching and overhead pressing work all the muscle bellies of the chest and shoulders) but to say that benching 'sucks for upper body development' is completely wrong.

I have some old pictures around the place of me after 6 months of rippetoes doing flat bench, overheads and rows strictly and id say chest development was one of my best points besides the shoulders.

I think if somebody does benches and their variants, presses and pulls then I dont think they're going to have problems with 'upper body development'.

Oliver I don't think you understood the joke. That was the reason I said 'sorry couldn't help myself'.

Markos pretty much summed it up. Benching is terrible on shoulder health so it gets a big negative there and when there are other great exercises out there that can do the same thing then I would put it further down the list.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oliver I don't think you understood the joke. That was the reason I said 'sorry couldn't help myself'.

Markos pretty much summed it up. Benching is terrible on shoulder health so it gets a big negative there and when there are other great exercises out there that can do the same thing then I would put it further down the list.
Posted via Mobile Device

it was another persons argument that it did 'little for the upper body' i had a problem with.

try getting your bench grip a thumbs width from the smooth and focusing on the military press just as much as you bench - you wont have any problems.

military presses and dips are not without their faults. many people cannot control their scap and therefor presses become less effective and possibly harmful. im pretty sure Boyle doesn't overhead lift with hiss personal training clients.
and dips are know for causing pain in some and done incorrectly can put the shoulder in an unsafe position of full extension.

im not an expert on this. just things i've read.

bench allows for the most external loading of the upper body(ignoring dead lifts)

Heavy benches without overhead pressing and rows, will destroy your shoulders.

Heres an interesting story. Back in the 60's at York, Hoffmans gym, there was a team of powerlifters and a team of Olympic lifters. Hoffmans was THE gym and the strongest lifted there.

All of the Olympic lifters could press 300lbs and all of the powerlifters could bench 400lbs.

They had a comp to see if each group could emulate the other. Every Olympic lifter benched 400lbs but no powerlifter pressed 300lbs.

What does that tell you about pressing strength? Neither group ever practiced the others lift. Olympic lifters never benched back then, they still dont now, and I know that powerlifters rarely press overhead standing up.

Picking a BB up from the ground and pressing it overhead is still the greatest measure of strength that exists in my opinion. No rack, no supports, no varying depths, just a man and a BB.

Probably started by cavemen and rocks lol

He did say overall upper body development not mass builder. He then said Markos summed it up which was about shoulder health, strength transfer (MP to BP, BP not to MP) and basically function (people push heavy stuff up over their head more often but rarely push it off themselves when they are on the floor).

BP will build mass it will not be as good for strength, function, shoulder health etc.

Is that better?

He did say overall upper body development not mass builder. He then said Markos summed it up which was about shoulder health, strength transfer (MP to BP, BP not to MP) and basically function (people push heavy stuff up over their head more often but rarely push it off themselves when they are on the floor).

BP will build mass it will not be as good for strength, function, shoulder health etc.

Is that better?

Whilst I'd argue its awesome for strength you've got it.

When you talk about 'upper body development' I take it to mean mass, especially considering we're on the bodybuilding side of the forum.

Is that better?

It's not easy writing stuff on a phone, thankyou.

For a long time, at least twenty years, seems like shoulder injuries and lifting weights go pretty much hand in hand. The bench press usually gets the blame yet some authorities insist overhead lifting is harder on the shoulders than bench pressing. The lab coat types will doubtless argue this to a draw, What do you feel?

I just wonder if these injuries were more common, less common, or about the same back when people did less bench pressing and more standing pressing, as well as more of the snatch and clean and jerk.

Any other insights into keeping healthy shoulders welcome.

I don't bench much, at all really, mainly dip and press.
My emphasis is is building a strong healthy back and shoulder girdle.
No and again I try the bench press 80kg for 12 or whatever, but someone who lifts 100kg overhead for reps of 5 would have biult some pretty good strength and development.

You want big floppers? use a pec dec.

Static scapulae makes it a screwed up shoulder motion which promotes scapula dysfunction and in turn leads to impingement (among other problems). Overhead pressing uses the scapula properly so it promotes proper scapulohumeral rythym but can place the acromion in a position to provide impingement more easily during the lift. Both have negatives but the overhead press has less and as Markos pointed out is more functionally relevant. They are my thoughts on it. I like to swap the bench press for weighted pushups to promote a healthier should girdle and still get the benefits of horizontal pushing. I would give it to the bench press in regards to better mass
development of the pecs but military press brings out the delts more and dips are great for triceps (this is not including variations like close grip bench etc and is just comparing these 3 exercises to one another). Would much rather use a pushup for pec development though to keep my shoulder girdle healthier. I also think a large wide and thick back does much more for the look of the upper body than big pecs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: