• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Get Some Big, HUGE, Strong and Powerful Triceps

Mass is built in the kitchen
Strength is built in the gym

Far too often people forget this.

the bench press is great exercise for getting stronger at the bench press

The overhead press is a great exercise for getting stronger

In my recent newsletter I posed the question as to what is the best exercise to test strength.

I eventually ended up with the clean & strict press.

You can name any exercise and give me a strong guy performing well in it at PTC, and I'll highlight a weakness elsewhere.

Dave squats 180kg, cant clean bodyweight
Nathan deadlifts 190kg, cant bench bodyweight
Ricco benches 140kg, squats 80kg

I have bucketloads of examples.

Only 3 guys have ever cleaned and strict pressed 100kg at PTC, all 3 squat over 200kg, bench over 150kg and deadlift over 200kg.

Its a long newsletter so I want go into too much detail, but you see the link with a strong standing press, you have no weakeness. There are 2 others who have competed at PTC, I have seen footage of their 100kg strict press, they too squat 200kg, bench over 160kg and deadlift over 260kg.

The bodyweight of the 5 lifters in question are

90kg
93kg
104kg
110kg
130kg

Clean & MP 100kg, you wont ever have to worry about another lagging lift, trust me.

I deliberately chose a non competition lift, performed by unassisted drug free lifters, as to not taint there efforts.

Last edited:
It's not easy writing stuff on a phone, thankyou.

For a long time, at least twenty years, seems like shoulder injuries and lifting weights go pretty much hand in hand. The bench press usually gets the blame yet some authorities insist overhead lifting is harder on the shoulders than bench pressing. The lab coat types will doubtless argue this to a draw, What do you feel?

I just wonder if these injuries were more common, less common, or about the same back when people did less bench pressing and more standing pressing, as well as more of the snatch and clean and jerk.

Any other insights into keeping healthy shoulders welcome.

I don't bench much, at all really, mainly dip and press.
My emphasis is is building a strong healthy back and shoulder girdle.
No and again I try the bench press 80kg for 12 or whatever, but someone who lifts 100kg overhead for reps of 5 would have biult some pretty good strength and development.

You want big floppers? use a pec dec.

Have you ever tried bench pressing with a narrow grip (ie a thumbs width from the smooth) and arching your back slighty? it takes ALOT of stress off the shoulder girdle. Also you should train your bench and military press equally so you dont have imbalances.

Alot of those 'injury periods' were from powerlifters bench pressing ONLY, a similar deal with bodybuilders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uycwsLn2JDU

minus the feet thats pretty much the perfect bench press.

We do speed work for the lower part of the lift, and direct tricep work, dips, cgbp, floor press, rack press, board press for the lock out.

I so Agree, I like your training posts mate. I found Tri's get so 'conditioned' to one exercise, variety with speed made an amazing difference.