• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Genuine fast and easy way to add an inch to your arms...

We only do strict deadhang wide grip chinups at PTC. I have about 20 lifters that can do 15 plus, including one woman.

I think the record is 22.

No kipping allowed.

I have a question with wide grip pull ups. I grip as wide as possible when doing WG pull ups, do I lift so my chin clears my grip (hands) or do I lift so my chin clears the upper bar? If I am explosive I can get my chin above the upper bar, but if I am controlled up and down I will just clear my hands.

It might sounds stupid but PT's at my gym are conflicting. I was thinking that you lift until you clear your hands.

Always do the largest range of motion you feel comfortable with. That gives you the most work on your muscles.

If you're "explosive" on chins/pulls then you're not using your back and arm muscles, but using your momentum from leg swings - as in the kipping pullups above. That's why Hulk can do 25 kippings but only 15 regular ones. He's using less of his back and arm strength and more of his legs and bodyweight momentum.

So it's a cheat along the lines of having someone help you on every rep on the bench. Can be a useful technique for some to get past sticking points, and very useful for gymnasts and crossfit types - who don't care about the strength/size of individual muscles, just overall strength - but not something someone focusing on size or strength of individual muscles would do for every rep of every workout.

Do the largest range of motion you're comfortable with.

Last edited:
When I say explosive, I mean that I move fast. I assure you there is no swing in my movements, no leg pumping etc. I have always considered that a cheat. Maybe when I am starting to fatigue I will use them a bit though.

I focus on keeping the core tight and my legs hanging. Every rep is to a dead hang. As soon as I lose my core, I also lose my legs. You can do explosive movements in all excersizes and slow controlled ones as well. I am probably more comfortable with my chin coming up above my hands though becuase it is easier.

I assure you there is no swing in my movements, no leg pumping etc. I have always considered that a cheat. Maybe when I am starting to fatigue I will use them a bit though.
So... no cheating except for when you do? :p

As I said, there's nothing wrong with that. You do what you have to do to get the work out of your muscles to get stronger and bigger. I'm just saying, if you do it in every rep as in kipping, then it doesn't help traditional individual muscle strength and size improvement goals. It does help overall strength, balance etc as gymnasts and crossfitters like.

Josh said:
I am probably more comfortable with my chin coming up above my hands though becuase it is easier.
As I said, do the largest range of motion you're comfortable with. Your own comfort is the best guide to what is a good and safe range of motion for you. This isn't some competition where everything has to be done the same way for everyone.

That's why your PTs are in disagreement. They're not thinking of what's best for you, but of what some arbitrary standard says.

Chins and pullups, past chin or just past eyes, kipping or dead hang, are good. We can argue about which are best, but can't argue that they're all good. I don't know of anyone who does any version of them regularly who has spaghetti arms. I know of lots of people who do endless sets of curls who do :p

16.jpg

Thats the height we pull to

What's a good 1 rep max weighted chin up?

I did a strict BW of 85kg + 50kg of plates the other day, but not trained for it.
Could probably improve quite a bit if training for explosiveness.

HAHA, Kyle you got me. You bastard. hehe

I just think of it like a chin up where your chin comes above the bar which is the same height as your hands. I'm going to mess around and see what I like the best, not just because of ease but what feels like it is working me the most. I have an idead already.

Do you do wide grip pull ups on that bar Markos?

What do you think of the bars like this /-------\ ?

Wow, those are some crazy sleeves.

Last edited:
They are pulling to collarbone, Josh. I only pull to get my chin over. I think both of us have some work to do :D

Ah shit. When I get tired I even put my chin up in the air so it is higher. haha

We havent really tested the most weight Hulk.

I was once ribbing a 135kg lifter cause he couldnt do chins, and he claimed I couldnt either at 135kg. I was 95kg, so I strapped on 40kg and did a handful of deadhang overhand wide grip chins.

I really dislike the way the movement feels with weight. I'm a bit of a purist and love bodyweight chins. I know that strength pretty much rules my ideas with training, but the strict dead hang overhand chin is a thing of beauty, I hate destroyong it with weight.

For back strength, we deadlift and clean.

We use weight in the Strongman comps, thats why Max and Nina have weight hanging off them, around 15% from memory.

I am the strictest judge in the world when it comes to chins, overhand, totally relaxed dead hang starting position, way over the bar

15.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Everyone does them the same way. I had an ass clown claim an x ammount. Didnt get half my way. Did I mention I was strict lol

So that is the position for the WG Pull Ups?

tyson002_004.jpg

I use a bar that is shaped like this and grip in the same position that this guy is. Should we be using a flat bar?

Thers no right way Josh, I've always preferred straight bars myself, PTC was my homegym before I had clients lifting there, so it is set up for me.

whatever bar you enjoy chinning on is fine, as is grip. I dislike underhand grip, but its just as beneficial as neutral or overhand.

Last edited:
PTC - what in your opinion would be the main difference in the wide chins and the shoulder length chins the guys in your pics are doing?

Only diff in terms of lifts is the narrow ones i can lift more vs the wide grip. Seem my outer back gets a better workout with the wide grip compared to the closer ones.

Chins are the same as bench press, in that narrow grip means more use of arms, and a wide grip means more use of the torso's muscles.

So that is the position for the WG Pull Ups?

tyson002_004.jpg

I use a bar that is shaped like this and grip in the same position that this guy is. Should we be using a flat bar?

my bar at home is shaped like that but i prefer the flat bar Markos has