• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

gaining muscle with sports training

W

wannagetbig

Hi guys,
new to the forum - seems like there is vast amounts of excellent information here.

My question relates to gaining muscle/diet while sports training. Im looking to put on muscle but play Aussie rules football and have started pre-season training, which means two intense trainings per week, plus around 2-3 extra personal sessions of running, cross-training (Swimming) to improve fitness

i hit the gym about 4-5 days a week for weights, and have been doing so for about 4-5 years

so, while i am very well aware it is difficult (and are likely to see little to no leg muscle gain due to all the intense running), can this goal be achieved, while still improving my fitness (which is DEFINITELY necessary, i.e. have 3k time trials every two weeks or so, beep test etc.)

By the way, im 180-1 cm tall, and around 92-3 kg

Thanks in advance

Hey mate,
I'm only new here too. But as long as your nutrition is pretty spot on, and your eating in a surplus - regardless of how much you're training, you should be able to put on some lean muscle. And even lean out a bit. Just make sure you are getting adequate sleep each night and at least one days rest a week.

I've been training for my first triathlon over the last few months which has meant I needed to cut my weights down a bit and drastically increase my cardio.
3 days weights and 1hr+ of swimming, riding or running each morning.

But by keeping my diet in check I've gone from 96kg, 9%bf to 99kg, 6%bf.

First of, welcome wannagetbig and bearattack.

bear attack pretty much answered the question. But i recommend seeing a sports dietitian (i put sports in bold because do not go see a diabetic dietitian) , i see one every month and he measures my gains, and also cause i so some sports during the week he gives me eating plans ect.

plus around 2-3 extra personal sessions of running, cross-training (Swimming) to improve fitness

Go have a look at the Strength and Conditioning for Footballers thread and read through it and see if you might think about changing any of the above.

thanks everyone for the replies

quick question for Dave - not to sound ignorant but after going through a number of pages of that thread i think i missed the point of it? Was it that you don't need extra fitness sessions etc?

i should add that i also train for triathlons over the summer (hence the swimming, riding etc..)

Well my point was you don't need that extra running sessions and in fact can do it with some really good complex/metabolic training sessions. But since you have now added you do triathlons then that makes it a bit redundant.

thanks Dave
the routine there sounds very interesting, and will definately have a closer look at such training and give it a go!