• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GABA pre-workout

Rugby88

I have Ep1c Calendar kunce
Been looking at different things that suggest GABA pre-workout can be beneficial - I have been taking it on and off before bed for a number of years and think it really is a great supplement but there is thoughts that in can enhance the natural hormonal response to lifting....

I have tried it the last 3 workouts - a mix of 2 1/2 grams l-tyrosine, 5g GABA and 200mg of caffeine and I have had 3 of the best workouts ive had in a long time.....

Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise: Volume 35(5) Supplement 1 May 2003 p S271
THE EFFECTS OF GAMMA AMINOBUTYRIC ACID ON GROWTH HORMONE SECRETION AT REST AND FOLLOWING EXERCISE
[F-12L FREE COMMUNICATION/POSTER ERGOGENIC AIDS]

Powers, M E.1; Borst, S E.1; McCoy, S C.1; Conway, R1; Yarrow, J1

1University of Florida, Gainesville, FL

Gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) is a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in growth hormone (GH) secretion. GABA is manufactured and sold as an ergogenic aid with the claim that GH secretion will increase following ingestion.

PURPOSE

To examine the GH and immunofunctional GH (IFGH) response to GABA ingestion during resting and exercise conditions.

METHODS

Seven resistance trained males (21.33±1.28 yrs, 176.75±4.07 cm, 81.12±10.63 kg) participated in four randomly ordered testing conditions; rest following placebo ingestion, rest following GABA ingestion, exercise following placebo ingestion, and exercise following GABA ingestion. Subjects ingested capsules containing either 3-g of GABA or a sucrose placebo after initial venous blood samples were taken. During the resting conditions, the subjects remained in a reclined position while blood samples were taken every 15-min for a total of 90-min following ingestion. During the exercise conditions, each subject performed a resistance exercise protocol immediately following ingestion. This consisted of a single set to failure with 70% of a previously determined 1-RM for 11 different exercises separated by a 1-min rest period. Blood samples were again taken immediately following exercise and every 15-min during a 90-min recovery period. ELISA was performed to determine serum levels of GH and IFGH.

RESULTS

GABA ingestion had no effect on resting levels of GH and IFGH. A significant increase in GH [F(6,36)=.3.32, p = .010] was observed following exercise with a greater increase observed when GABA was ingested. GH levels were significantly greater following GABA ingestion, as compared to placebo ingestion, 15- and 30-min post exercise. A significant increase in IFGH was also observed following exercise [F(6,36)=2.76, p = .026], however GABA ingestion did not have an effect on this measure.

CONCLUSION

While no changes were observed in a resting state, the results of this study partially support claims that GABA increases GH secretion, as greater levels of GH were observed following exercise when GABA was ingested.

Well the studies show it... so ill probably try 500mg upon waking with shake, 3g pre workout with Craze and another 1g before bed.

Should be interesting...

I have been using 3-5g before bed and 3g before training...I dont know if it is doing much or not...but I have been having GREAT workouts with big increases in strength since around the time I started using it...

Well the studies show it... so ill probably try 500mg upon waking with shake, 3g pre workout with Craze and another 1g before bed.

Should be interesting...

Also how do you like Craze? looking for a pre-workout without the 1,3 dim in it and this looks like the best one out atm....

This is my new science pet (non astronomy) interest.

After doing enough research I'll run a mini experiment & record a ton of info. What site did you pick that study up from?

This is my new science pet (non astronomy) interest.

After doing enough research I'll run a mini experiment & record a ton of info. What site did you pick that study up from?

It was just posted on a forum (copy n paste into a thread about GABA pre-workout)...didnt have a link sorry!!

How are you going to run this?? i.e what doses etc are you going to take...VERY keen to see the results...

Seems like a good way to waste money. [F(6,36)=.3.32, p = .010] is a tiny, tiny increase in growth hormone. Don't be misled by "significant". Significant means that they can be sure if made a difference compared to placebo, not that it's a significant increase for bodybuilding.

"I have tried it the last 3 workouts - a mix of 2 1/2 grams l-tyrosine, 5g GABA and 200mg of caffeine and I have had 3 of the best workouts ive had in a long time....."

I suspect that it's the tyrosine giving you the great workouts

Seems like a good way to waste money. [F(6,36)=.3.32, p = .010] is a tiny, tiny increase in growth hormone. Don't be misled by "significant". Significant means that they can be sure if made a difference compared to placebo, not that it's a significant increase for bodybuilding.

"I have tried it the last 3 workouts - a mix of 2 1/2 grams l-tyrosine, 5g GABA and 200mg of caffeine and I have had 3 of the best workouts ive had in a long time....."

I suspect that it's the tyrosine giving you the great workouts

As I said - I dont know if its doing anything or not...but the mix of L-tyrosine/GABA has been great...yes it may just be the l-tyrosine but I think the GABA is worth keeping in for awhile longer to see the results...

antidotal evidence is useful for scientific research though not highly rated, which I think is fair enough.

To have a truely impressive increase in testosterone, growth hormone, cortisol...chemical asstance is likely needed as this would take the person out of homeostasis. For a man to go from producing 32 ng/dl of testosterone to 45...he's going to need some serious assistance.

yeah man just give it a go if you like
I love tyrosine pre-workout I get immense focus and because it's a precursor of dopamine/adrenaline you don't get any sort of crash afterwards, quite the opposite instead lol

What is 32/45 ng/dl in mmol?

your warmup will stimulate more hgh release.

gaba is a neurotransmitter, putting more in your mouth does not equate to more in your brain. Especially since GABA does NOT cross the blood-brain-barrior.

gaba is also found in many foods we eat, so if you have well balanced food choices, there will not be a deficiency requiring supplementation.