• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Forearm/Wrist pain while curling

SWH

I've been getting sharp pains up my forearm when I bicep curl with barbells and e-z bars.

The pain is right in the middle of my forearm, between my elbow and wrist. I did break my arm a few years back and I have some metal plates and screws on the bone in that area but I don't think that is a problem because I experience more pain in my other arm compared to the previously broken one. Has anybody had this happen to them or can anybody give me some advice? thanks.

Hmmm, this is weird cause I get a similar thing. I only get it when I'm going as heavy as I can on them. But I have also noticed that when (and if) I do my bro curls, if I go a little lighter than I don't get it. So I now focus on more reps, say 12-15. The other way I stopped it was to use dumbells.

Graeme

It's common, I get it too. I don't get it with hammer curls with dumbells so I do those instead.

Yeah thats what I decided to do today. I just grabbed some dumbbells and did a few concerntration curls instead. I suppose theres not much of a difference anyway so yeah i might just stick with dumbbells from now on

Dude, concentration curls are a different exercise. Hammer curls are done with thumbs facing up and curl both dumbells together not this alternating shit where one arm has a rest between reps.
Concentration curls are pointless for you as a beginner

I know the difference lol I just thought it would be the same because the dumbbell is held horizontally just like you use a barbell? so it must be like similar to a barbell curl compared to hammer curls. but i'll hammer curl anyway

Sam Heihei, it's Saturday, not sure if doing hammer hammer curls is going to fix your problem as the forearm gets worked a fair bit with this exercise.

You said you get the pain with bb curls, so you switched to db concentration curls. How about trying db alternating curls? These will target the gunz more directly than hammer curls and get the girls swooning. Nothing else matters.

Sam Heihei, it's Saturday, not sure if doing hammer hammer curls is going to fix your problem as the forearm gets worked a fair bit with this exercise.

You said you get the pain with bb curls, so you switched to db concentration curls. How about trying db alternating curls? These will target the gunz more directly than hammer curls and get the girls swooning. Nothing else matters.

Its not to do with working my forearm muscle. Its a joint pain more than anything, the feeling is sharp and sticks around for a while afterwards not like feeling pain in your muscles.

If your trying to make out that I just curl all day long or something I don't. But barbell curls were a part of my program. So just looking for a substitute so I can continue without having pains in my forearms

I've had this, it's like shin splints in your forearms. It's either bone or tendon related, or both..

Preacher curls with an ez-curl bar are what caused it for me, as suggested give the ez bar curls a rest for a while (took mine 6+ weeks to go away completely).

I went back to dumbells exclusively after the pain was gone and it hasn't come back.

I stopped using a barbell but it feels so much worse or more noticable at least. Even when doing simple chores like lifting is really hard on the wrist only when lifting something in the same manner as i'd usually curl with a barbell. A small amount of pressure is enough to make it hurt after the pressure is relieved. Even spotting a friend is really hard to do now.

Try widening your grip....

Move your hands out till its stops hurting... Then come back in a bit till you find the right spot...

Try widening your grip....

Move your hands out till its stops hurting... Then come back in a bit till you find the right spot...

I'm not sure that will work anymore since any sort of pressure triggers the pain now. I can barely spot my friend without using an overhand grip

I'm not sure that will work anymore since any sort of pressure triggers the pain now. I can barely spot my friend without using an overhand grip

Well that's your answer mate. STOP doing any form of curls, totally stop until you are feeling better.

Is it in your forearm, or is it the wrist or just below the wrist?

Measure down from your wrist how far it is to the pain mate, as it could be something else. It sounds as though you have fairly damaged something in your forearm/wrist, so it would be wise to get to the bottom of it. I would go to the sports doc mate, not worth the risk.

Well that's your answer mate. STOP doing any form of curls, totally stop until you are feeling better.

Is it in your forearm, or is it the wrist or just below the wrist?

Measure down from your wrist how far it is to the pain mate, as it could be something else. It sounds as though you have fairly damaged something in your forearm/wrist, so it would be wise to get to the bottom of it. I would go to the sports doc mate, not worth the risk.

Its in the forearm. I'm going to PTC tomorrow and theres a sports physio there so i'll get it seen to tomorrow

Forearm pain due to gripping and curling is fairly common for beginners I think. I used to get it worst when releasing the grip so always did that slowly. My forearms are pretty decent now and don't seem to get it as much.

How do you go with chin-ups? Might be a better way to target those biceps ;-)

Although in your case the severity and previous injury definitely warrants getting it checked out. Do let us know what they say.

Forearm pain due to gripping and curling is fairly common for beginners I think. I used to get it worst when releasing the grip so always did that slowly. My forearms are pretty decent now and don't seem to get it as much.

How do you go with chin-ups? Might be a better way to target those biceps ;-)

Although in your case the severity and previous injury definitely warrants getting it checked out. Do let us know what they say.

Thats exactly what I get . Its not too bad until you let go of the bar then its really strong and no matter how slow it still ends up hurting lol. How did yours go away did it just go over time? And the injury wasn't anything to do with this, the physio said it might just be some soft tissue build up but nothing serious. I do chin ups 3x a week so yeah thats pretty much my alternative but I did replace my barbell curls with hammer curls anyway and it seems to be going okay, still i'd like to be able to have no pain in the forearms lol

You should also try not to hold the barbell too tightly, keep your wrists locked and towards the top of the movement don't roll your wrists in towards your body.