• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Food pyramid

What if I said that grains were born out of necessity rather than being a legitimate food group?

I would lol. Grains are a perfectly legitimate food group.

Some of the longest lived groups of people have diets very high in grains.

Firstly since you are the one making the ridiculous statements why don't you prove that grains are not a legitimate food group.
Baz, I am simply suggesting that eating grains were born from necessity which seems to be the case when you look back as to why and how agriculture came about, it's all documented.

Can you prove to me otherwise Baz?

Baz, I am simply suggesting that eating grains were born from necessity which seems to be the case when you look back as to why and how agriculture came about, it's all documented.

Can you prove to me otherwise Baz?

So that somehow makes it a non legitimate food group?

Grains were around before agriculture.

Japan the nation with the longest life expectancy eat 6-10 serves of grain per day. No bad for a non food with no nutrients.

So that somehow makes it a non legitimate food group?

Grains were around before agriculture.

Japan the nation with the longest life expectancy eat 6-10 serves of grain per day. No bad for a non food with no nutrients.

So you attribute the Japanese longer life expectancy to simply eating a lot of grain?
Many of the poorest African nations which have the lowest life expectancy in the world also eat a lot of grain.

By the way, the people with the longest life expectancy is a nation called Andorra, located in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain where a lot of meat and dairy is consumed.

Last edited:
So you attribute the Japanese longer life expectancy to simply eating a lot of grain?
Many of the poorest African nations which have the lowest life expectancy in the world also eat a lot of grain.

By the way, the people with the longest life expectancy is a nation called Andorra, located in the Pyrenees mountains between France and Spain.

Did I say that at all???

My point was if grains were a non food as you suggest or contain zero nutrients like mick suggests they seem to be fine for some of the longest living people to eat.

Grains are NOT a legitimate food as they need to be processed before the body can even digest them, you can't just pick up grains and eat them.

If you believe other wise than that is fine, you eat what you want and I eat what I want, but don't make it out like people that eat proper non processed foods 95% of the time are crazy.

Grains are NOT a legitimate food as they need to be processed before the body can even digest them, you can't just pick up grains and eat them.

If you believe other wise than that is fine, you eat what you want and I eat what I want, but don't make it out like people that eat proper non processed foods 95% of the time are crazy.

Lol mick you crack me up.

Show me again were grains have zero nutrients.

Mick if you are going down that line of thinking with grain I hope you don't cook any of your food at all.

I would also put money on it that I eat more unprocessed type foods than you do anyway.

The germ of a grain of wheat is particularly high in nutrients.

It's just that we don't really get to eat it.

The germ of a grain of wheat is particularly high in nutrients.

It's just that we don't really get to eat it.

You don't NEED to eat any one specific food but you should eat a range of foods and there is no reason to exclude grains

You don't NEED to eat any one specific food but you should eat a range of foods and there is no reason to exclude grains

I'm not entering into yet another food fight, I'm just adding that there is nutritional value in a grain of whole wheat.

Lol mick you crack me up.

Show me again were grains have zero nutrients.

I never said they have zero nutrients, what I did say is that they can not be digested without first being processed into something else.

The human body was never designed to eat most grains. As such grains eaten in it's true state do have zero nutritional value as they will go in one end and emerge from the other end in a pile of fertiliser, ready to grow.

The reason you exclude certain foods is because some foods were never designed to be eaten in the first place. Once they are processed grains can then be somewhat used by the body, but most people can still not deal with the enzymes, gluten and lectins contained within them, where they will actually do more harm than good.

A bowl of salad and a steak will have more nutritional value than any grain product in the world.

All positives and no negatives to not eating grains.

so win win to limiting grain intake as much as possible, as I am sure we will never avoid them 100% of the time.

I never said they have zero nutrients, what I did say is that they can not be digested without first being processed into something else.

The human body was never designed to eat most grains. As such grains eaten in it's true state do have zero nutritional value as they will go in one end and emerge from the other end in a pile of fertiliser, ready to grow.

The reason you exclude certain foods is because some foods were never designed to be eaten in the first place. Once they are processed grains can then be somewhat used by the body, but most people can still not deal with the enzymes, gluten and lectins contained within them, where they will actually do more harm than good.

A bowl of salad and a steak will have more nutritional value than any grain product in the world.

All positives and no negatives to not eating grains.

so win win to limiting grain intake as much as possible, as I am sure we will never avoid them 100% of the time.

Wrong again. The human body is not designed to eat grain? Says who? The human body is not designed anyway, who designed it. It evolved and evolved perfectly fine to eat grains today. If it didn't we couldn't live on them and people certainly do live on diets very high in grains and live long healthy lives.

Like I said I hope you stick true to your grains not being digested raw and eat all your other foods raw.

Many foods not just grains are more digestible when cooked.

No negatives to avoiding grain. Um how about the one of avoiding a whole food group for no real reason and missing out on the nutrients that come along with it.

No negatives to avoiding grain. Um how about the one of avoiding a whole food group for no real reason and missing out on the nutrients that come along with it.

Well that is your opinion backed by nothing. And who cares if its designed or evolved the end result it the same you are just playing on words to confuse the real issue.

I don't see grains as a food group just like I don't see plastic as a food group,
imagine all the nutrients you miss out on not eating plastic or tree bark or gravel:rolleyes:

The sooner you understand that the human body CAN NOT digest grains the sooner you will know what I am trying to tell you. May be read up on it and learn something.

Many people actually refer to grains as anti nutrients, as they actually poison your body and put unnecessary stress on your digestive system.

Like I said eat what you want, I don't really care, I just know I have dropped at least 8-10kg of pure fat, and lost zero muscle (probably gained some) simply eliminating grains and processed sugars. I feel better all over, eat as much as I want when I want, never go hungry, and do not miss having them one bit.

That's it for me.

Here is a bit of light reading explaining why grains are not supposed to be eaten:

QUOTE:

Consider our friend, the apple. When an animal eats an apple, it profits by getting a meal. It swallows the seeds and then deposits them in a pile of dung. With some luck a new apple tree might grow, and so the apple tree has also profited from the arrangement. In nature as in finance, it is good business when both parties make profit happily. Consider what would happen if the animal were greedy and decided to eat the few extra calories contained within the apple seeds- then there would be no new apple tree to continue on the good work. So, to stop this from happening, the apple seeds contain toxins that have multiple effects:

* firstly, they taste bad- discouraging the animal from chewing them

* secondly some toxins are enzyme blockers that bind up predators digestive enzymes- these also act as “preservatives” freezing the apple seed enzymes until sprouting- Upon sprouting of the seed, many of these enzyme blockers disappear.

* thirdly, they contain lectins- these are toxic proteins which have numerous effects. They act as natural pesticides and are also toxic to a range of other species including bacteria, insects, worms, rodents and other predators including humans .

Of course, the apple has other defenses- to start with it is high above the ground well out of reach of casual predators, and it also has the skin and flesh of the apple to be penetrated first. Above all though is the need to stop the seed from being eaten, so that new apple trees may grow.

Now, please consider the humble grain. Once again as a seed its duty is mission critical- it must perpetuate the life cycle of the plant. It is however much closer to the ground, on the tip of a grass stalk. It is within easy reach of any predator strolling by. It contains a good source of energy, like a booster rocket for the new plant as it grows. The grain is full of energy and in a vulnerable position. It was “expensive” for the plant to produce. It is an attractive meal. Its shell offers little protection. Therefore, it has been loaded with toxic proteins to discourage predators- grains are full of enzyme blockers and lectins. You may be surprised to learn that uncooked flour is very toxic- please don’t try eating it as you become very sick. And yes, I don’t recommend al dente pasta (if one must eat pasta at all).

Beans too are full of enzyme blockers and lectins. Potatoes contain enzyme blockers, lectins and another family of toxins called glycoalkaloids. Glycoalkaloids (GA) unlike lectins and enzyme blockers aren’t destroyed by cooking, even deep-frying. GA are particularly high in green or injured potatoes, which must never be eaten even if trimmed heavily and well-cooked. Many people have told me that they eat small amounts of raw potato- this is a dangerous habit and it should be discouraged very strongly.

These toxins in foods are commonly referred to as antinutrients.

Well that is your opinion backed by nothing. And who cares if its designed or evolved the end result it the same you are just playing on words to confuse the real issue.

I don't see grains as a food group just like I don't see plastic as a food group,
imagine all the nutrients you miss out on not eating plastic or tree bark or gravel:rolleyes:

The sooner you understand that the human body CAN NOT digest grains the sooner you will know what I am trying to tell you. May be read up on it and learn something.

Many people actually refer to grains as anti nutrients, as they actually poison your body and put unnecessary stress on your digestive system.

Like I said eat what you want, I don't really care, I just know I have dropped at least 8-10kg of pure fat, and lost zero muscle (probably gained some) simply eliminating grains and processed sugars. I feel better all over, eat as much as I want when I want, never go hungry, and do not miss having them one bit.

That's it for me.

Here is a bit of light reading explaining why grains are not supposed to be eaten:

QUOTE:

Consider our friend, the apple. When an animal eats an apple, it profits by getting a meal. It swallows the seeds and then deposits them in a pile of dung. With some luck a new apple tree might grow, and so the apple tree has also profited from the arrangement. In nature as in finance, it is good business when both parties make profit happily. Consider what would happen if the animal were greedy and decided to eat the few extra calories contained within the apple seeds- then there would be no new apple tree to continue on the good work. So, to stop this from happening, the apple seeds contain toxins that have multiple effects:

* firstly, they taste bad- discouraging the animal from chewing them

* secondly some toxins are enzyme blockers that bind up predators digestive enzymes- these also act as “preservatives” freezing the apple seed enzymes until sprouting- Upon sprouting of the seed, many of these enzyme blockers disappear.

* thirdly, they contain lectins- these are toxic proteins which have numerous effects. They act as natural pesticides and are also toxic to a range of other species including bacteria, insects, worms, rodents and other predators including humans .

Of course, the apple has other defenses- to start with it is high above the ground well out of reach of casual predators, and it also has the skin and flesh of the apple to be penetrated first. Above all though is the need to stop the seed from being eaten, so that new apple trees may grow.

Now, please consider the humble grain. Once again as a seed its duty is mission critical- it must perpetuate the life cycle of the plant. It is however much closer to the ground, on the tip of a grass stalk. It is within easy reach of any predator strolling by. It contains a good source of energy, like a booster rocket for the new plant as it grows. The grain is full of energy and in a vulnerable position. It was “expensive” for the plant to produce. It is an attractive meal. Its shell offers little protection. Therefore, it has been loaded with toxic proteins to discourage predators- grains are full of enzyme blockers and lectins. You may be surprised to learn that uncooked flour is very toxic- please don’t try eating it as you become very sick. And yes, I don’t recommend al dente pasta (if one must eat pasta at all).

Beans too are full of enzyme blockers and lectins. Potatoes contain enzyme blockers, lectins and another family of toxins called glycoalkaloids. Glycoalkaloids (GA) unlike lectins and enzyme blockers aren’t destroyed by cooking, even deep-frying. GA are particularly high in green or injured potatoes, which must never be eaten even if trimmed heavily and well-cooked. Many people have told me that they eat small amounts of raw potato- this is a dangerous habit and it should be discouraged very strongly.

These toxins in foods are commonly referred to as antinutrients.

Again we are not designed we evolved, its different. We evolved to digest grains. No confusing the issue. No designer said we were not designed to digest grains because we can. It is different. The only processing required to release the nutrients is cooking. This is common with many foods. So if you want to stick true to this I hope you don't cook any foods at all then incase you release more nutrients and processing is bad. I am assuming you do since you always avoid that question. So why is it fine to cook other foods but not ok to cook grains?

Equating grains with plastic. Lol. Are you on drugs? How many people do you see living off plastic processed or not.

Mick the body can digest gains. Billions of people are doing it every day.

Anti nutrients. Well I hope you don't eat nuts, legumes, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, most fruits, sweet potato, tomato, infact virtually all plant foods we eat contain some anti nutrients. So if you don't want anti nutrients I am hoping you have stopped eat all plant foods as well as grains?

Well done you lost weight but plenty of people have lost weight and still eaten grains. The two are not exclusive. You feel better, which is great and to be expected when you lose weight.

Finally mick your cut and paste quote is not a bit of light. You are meant to reference stuff you cut and paste but I see you took it from a Paleo fanatic site. Which is far from a respected information source. Do we need to now go through and poke holes in all the Paleo stuff now?