• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

foam rollers, pipes and balls, oh my!

McKwl

Overloaded Member
So, having heard great things about foam rolling, what would you recommend - an actual foam roller, a "rumble roller", a pipe with or without a wrap or some kind, tennis balls, or what? :confused:

Lots of stuff out there. Just wondering what you've found to be the best.

horses for courses... I have tennis balls, pvc pipe and foam roller.. all are good at times. also ordering a rumble roller this week ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Whatever works for you, the only issue with a foam roller is over time they compres down and become soft which isn't as effective, but does take a lot of use for this to happen, tennis balls and cricket balls are also good and they all work if done properly.

The iron edge foam roller is better than PVC in my experience. It is just as dense and has the bumps which really get into the muscle. The rumble roller is just another level really and looks like a torture implement.

I like PVC on my quads and it band. Rumble roller is good for my lower back, but I haven't got one at the moment so just using PVC all over.

I used to get pain in my groins when squatting. Disappeared as soon as I started rolling my it band.

I love using my rumble roller. The calves make me scream the worst, but I've learnt to toughen up a bit and now only shed a couple of tears.

I am trialling a few different rumble rollers. I don't like anything soft, so we'll see. If they're any good i'll bring them in

I have both a foam and rumble roller. Both are the firmest variety. I also have a PVC pipe.
Cricket balls and spikey balls, golf balls and hard weighted balls for specific spots.
For a comp I take the rumble roller and cricket ball. Otherwise I just like having the selection at home.

So, having heard great things about foam rolling, what would you recommend - an actual foam roller, a "rumble roller", a pipe with or without a wrap or some kind, tennis balls, or what? :confused:

Lots of stuff out there. Just wondering what you've found to be the best.

Tried them many times. Found them to do nothing at all. Good waste of time.

If you are keen to try one don't waste money on them, make something yourself.

Hockey Ball for glutes / hip flexors / it bands / quads

Theracane for traps / upper and mid back / QL and Multifidus in the lower back / biceps / triceps and forearms. Especially if you work a computer all day the Theracane is the best damn invention ever!

Rounded rocks in the garden for super deep spots in my glutes, I've got a lot of muscle and fat on my ass so I need something very hard to reach down there, no gay jokes now hahaha!

Cricket balls and spikey balls, golf balls and hard weighted balls for specific spots.

Don't you find that the cricket ball slides all over the place?? It doesn't roll very well. I need to find a ball with a bit better traction, don't know what..

Don't you find that the cricket ball slides all over the place?? It doesn't roll very well. I need to find a ball with a bit better traction, don't know what..

Use it more to target a direct area rather than rolling it all over, short stokes over really tender spots to break up the muscle fibers.

Lacrosse ball, foam roller (or home made pvc pipe) and a small hard ball for doing your feet. Rubber bouncy balls work well.