• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Flat bench or fid???

Elvis

Hello all,

This is my first post so go easy on me.
After playing around with a cheap bench and weights for a year or so the bug has bitten to get a bit more serious about lifting iron. I'm about to set up a home gym. Im looking at the mm commercial rack, an abc Olympic bar, a few hundred kilos of iron and a bench. My main focus is on getting strong doing the big 3 lifts. My question is: Will a commercial flat bench be ideal or a fid? I've read alot of posts stating the fid's aren't as strong or comfortable? If I'm training for strength should I be doing incline or decline benching? Im only wanting to buy commercial quality gear to last me a long time.

Thanks Danny

Will they? I would have said flat bench a while ago but now after adding inclines I would try and find a good adjustable one.

There you bazza you proved me wrong
I'd go for the adjustable bench also or if money and space is not a problem you could get both

There you bazza you proved me wrong
I'd go for the adjustable bench also or if money and space is not a problem you could get both

Both would be great if money was no problem, competition style flat bench and really nice adjustable. I love inclines these days, helps flat and overhead strength.

Also like I have said before a wide 30cm is a must. My flat bench is 25 and I hate it. Did some flat bench on a piece of shit, wobbly adjustable bench but it was wider and to my suprise I could actually get tight and set up properly, shoulders weren't hanging off the sides and it was a lot better to bench on. I think many of my bench issues may be due to a poorly designed bench.

You won't find a good FID that's 30cm, this is why a lot of people go for flat 30cm ones. There are threads on this, I posted a list in one a while ago of the back dimensions of all of them. I believe the powerlifting federation limits on bench width is 32cm, 30cm is more common.

You want low bench height for leg drive (something I havent got in my bench technique yet, but you should shoot for it)

I bought a 250kg rated incline bench for $200 second hand and replaced the 25cm back rest with a 34cm I made myself. It's not as paddy but I much prefer it anyway. You notice it at like 80kg+, very noticable at 100kg+. I have not had this modification engineering approved or anything, but I use squat stands with big safeties so I feel ok on it. I highly doubt it will break anyway just looking at the way I've done it. I would use it over any of the more expensive incline benches up to 250kg (ironmaster etc., they are all too thin)

If I had to get one without the option of modifying I would go with a cheap incline bench rated maybe to 250kg for incline movements, and then a good flat 30cm+ bench for heavy flat benches. It's unlikely you will incline bench over 250kg total (weight + bodyweight) for reps unless you're a machine / very big.

I might add I had shoulder pain benching until I modified my bench to 34cm (and had some training), though 30cm might have done the trick too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies,
Im hopefully heading down to gym direct in the next few days so ill try a few out, i presume they would have them all in stock. Im leaning towards a commercial flat bench, I can add an incline/decline later on.

Thanks again, Danny