• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Fkn LOL at this routine

BigJim

My mate (MediumMike) is over in Canada at the moment. One of the regulars at the gym he has been going to there has written him up a program to help him get the best out of his gym work.

What do you guys think?

Monday - Chest

MidChst: Push Ups

x1 Set of 30 (3 Styles)

UprChst: Reverse Grip Bench

x3 Sets of 8-12

UprChst: Incline Bench OR Incline Dumbbell Bench

x4 Sets of 8-12 (Last Set 6)

UprChst: Incline Cable Flies OR Incline Dumbbell Flies

x3 Sets of 8-10

MidChst: Bench Press OR Standing Cable Press OR Dumbbell Bench

x3 Sets of 8-12 (Last set Pause Reps)

MidChst: Peck Deck OR Cable Flies (under and up) OR Dumbbell Flies

x2 Sets of 10-15

LwrChst: Decline Bench

LwrMidChst: Dips

x3 Sets 10-12

MidChst: Push Ups

x1 Set Max Out

(8Weeks no Freeweights, 8Weeks cycling Both)

(Do Just as many Incline Sets as Other Chest Sets, in Total)

Tuesday - Quads/Hams (Superset Quads with Hams)

Leg Extensions (Toes Out)

x2 Sets of 10-15

Squats (Toes In)

x3 Sets of 6-10

45' Leg Press (Toes Out)

x3 Sets of 8-12 (Rest Pauses)

Hack Squats (Toes Straight)

x3 Sets of 6-10

Lunges (Feet Straight Out, Body Straight Up)

x3 Sets of 10-14

Leg Extensions (Toes in)

x4 Sets of 6-8

(For Squats - Toes in, Narrow Stance for Outer Quads and Toes out, Wide Stance for Inner Quads (Overemphasize the Arch in your Lower Back, Look straight ahead, Keep your butt over your heels. When driving Back up, move your hips before you move your knees.)

(45' Leg Press - Knees should Brush your Chest without Glutes coming off the leg press seat)

(Squats and Leg Presses should briefly lock out, or just short of lockout)

(For Leg Extensions - Do Full Contractions, Lock out briefly and flex your Thighs)

(For Lunges - Make sure to do the Full Stretch and Contraction)

Hams: Romanian Deadlifts

x4 Sets of 8-12

OutrHams: Lying Leg Curls (Pyrimid Sets)

x3 Sets of 10-15, 8-12, 6-10

InrHams: Seated Leg Curls (Rest Pauses)

x3 Sets of 6-8

(Lying leg curls with your hips on the bench target the biceps femoris (outer hams). Take as long as 5 seconds (2 seconds up, 3 seconds down). Pause briefly at contraction with your ankles as close to your glutes as possible.)

(Seated leg curls target your semitendinosus and semimembranosus (inner hams))

(Accept PAIN as a necessary component of full-bore quad and hamstring workouts!!!)

Wednesday - Back

UpprLatWdth: OverHand Wide Grip Pullups OR LwrLatWdth: Triangle Bar Chins

xX Sets until 25 is reached (when 2 Sets are possible, go up in reps or attach weight)

UpprLatWdth: Wide Grip Pull-downs

LatThknes: Dumbbell One-Arm Bench Rows OR Incline Bench Lying Dumbbell Row Twists (Overhand Grip at the Bottom, Palms Facing your Sides at the Top)

x3 Sets of 6-10

LwrLatWdth: Underhand Shoulder-Width Pulldowns OR Underhand Narrow Grip (V-Handle) Pulldowns (keep Elbows in for both) (MAY CUT OUT, NOT FEELING IT)

x3 Sets of 8-12

UpprLatThknes: Wide Grip Seated Bar Rows (to Chest) OR MidLatThknes: Narrow Grip (V-Handle or Single Handed Grips) Seated Rows (to Stomach)

x3 Sets of 8-12

MidLatThknes: Barbell Row (Brent Lift) OR LwrLatThknes: T-Bar Row (V-Handle or Single Hand Grips) (Grounded Bench Bar, One Side Weighted)

x3 Sets of 6-10 (Last set Pause Reps)

TtalBk: Body Lifts on Smith Machine Bar

x3 Sets Max Out, Bar on Hight 4, Hight 8 and Hight 12

LwrBk: Dead Lifts

x3 Sets of 6-8

LwrBk: Good Mornings OR Back Crunches

x3 Sets of 8-12

LwrBk: Floor/Mat Exercises (Stretch, One-Arm One-Leg Raisers, Supermans)

x6 Continuous Sets of 6-10

(Train high/low style, do higher-rep sets of one exercise and lower-rep sets for the following exercise. Go light on machine exercises, focusing on isolating muscles and holding contractions and go heavy on free-weight lifts)

(Use an overhand thumb less grip on Pullups. The more you hold the bar in the palms of your hands, the less active the biceps will be in the exercise)

(Triangle Bar Chins. Lower lats. Hook a triangle bar over a chinning bar. As you pull yourself up, lie back and try to touch your mid-abdominal area – not your chest – to the bar. Lower all the way back down)

Thursday/Sunday - Abs/Cardio/Calves

Calf: Smith-Machine Calf Raisers OR Donkey Calf Raises

x3 Sets of 15, x3 angles (45 in total)

Calf: Calf 45' Leg Press OR Calf Horizontal Leg Press

x2 Sets of 6-10, x2 Sets of 30-50 (First 20 controlled and slow, last 30 power press 10 at a time, then squeeze hold for 2secs at the top) (Alternate Sets)

Calf: Seated Calf Raisers SS Calf: Tibialis Raisers

x3 Sets of 10-20, SS x3 Sets of 10-20

(Point toes down (Outer) or up (Inner))

(Two seconds at the top, One second at the bottom)

(Keep most sets in the 10-20 range, but sometimes do higher (20-50) or lower (6-10) reps)

(Stretch your calves between sets and immediately after training them (Highest and Lowest Points, Toes down and up))

(The soleus is isolated when your knees are bent at a 90-degree angle, so always include seated calf raises in your calf routine for at least three sets of 10-20 reps)

(The flexor muscles are trained with tibialis raises. Sit on a lying leg-curl bench, hook your toes under the leg pad and, while keeping your knees steady, raise the pad up and back toward your shins. Very little weight will be required)

Upr/LWrAbs: Prayers to Crom OR Standing, above the head cable crunches from behind the head to infront OR Facing cable crunches head to hips

x3 Sets of 20-25 (Short Bar, Underhand Grip)

Obqs: Cable Oblique Raisers OR Dumbbell Oblique Raisers

x3 Sets of 20-25

Lwr/UprAbs: Leg Raisers (Candlesticks) Slow control, full extensions, rotate hips on way down instead of arching back

x2 Sets of 10-15

UprAbs: Crunches on an Angled Bench (Small motion, tence, Weight above head, arms/weight not touching body) SS Obqs: Crunch Twists to Knees (Small motion, tence, squeeze obliques) SS 45' Hands to the roof raisers (Small motion, straight up)

x2 Sets of 10-15

InnrAbs: Stomach-to-Spine Holds

x1 Set of 10 (10 second flex holds)

(Train at a slow, steady pace, focusing only on your abs. Hold each contraction for one or two seconds and flex)

Crdio: Bike x 15mins

Crdio: Walker x15mins

Crdio: Treadmill x15min

Friday - Bies/Tris/Wrists

Bies: Underhand Chin-ups

xX Sets until 20 is reached (when 2 Sets are possible, go up in reps or attach weight)

Bies: EZ-Bar Curls OR Barbell Curls against a wall/Elbows against your sides (Last Set Negative Forced Reps) Narrow Grip OR Wide Grip

x3 Sets of 6-8

Bies: Seated Dumbbell Curls (Drop Sets) Pinkies Up OR Thumbs Up

x3 Sets of 8-12

Bies: One Arm Cable Curls OR Machine Curls (Both Sets Aided Exhausion Forced Reps) (Elbows in hard against Obliques)

x2 Sets of 8-12 (Each side for Cables)

(Curl slowly. Take approximately two seconds to raise the weight, hold the contraction for one second, then take approximately two seconds to lower the weight)

Tries: Close-Grip Bench OR Upright Dips (Last Set Rest Pause)

x3 Sets of 8-12

LngTries: Lying EZ-curl bar triceps extensions (Skullcrushers) OR Seated Overhead EZ-Curl Bar Extensions

x3 Sets of 6-10

LatTries: Overhand Bar Cable Extensions (Drop Set each Set)

x3 Sets of 10-15

MdalTries: Underhand One-Arm Cable Extensions (Both Sets Aided Exhausion Forced Reps) OR One-Arm Bent Over Bench Extensions (Drop Set each Set)

x2 Sets of 8-12

(When your arms are straight by your sides with an overhand or a parallel grip (palms facing each other, also known as a neutral grip), the lateral heads are worked most, as during conventional pushdowns)

(When your arms are straight by your sides with an underhand grip, the medial heads are hit most. To give your medial heads their due, consider adding reverse-grip pushdowns to your routine)

(When your elbows are moved in front of your body or overhead, the long heads are targeted. Overhead extensions are best for “going long,” so always include some form of overhead tri extension in your routine)

(Lock your elbows in place for all reps until you reach failure)

Wrsts: Rope Curling Wrist Raisers

x3 Sets of 3

Saturday - Shoulders/Traps

RerDelts: Rear Delt Bent over cable Lifts

x3 Sets of 8-12

RerDelts: Lying Bench Rear Delt Raisers (Little Finger High) (Drop Sets)

x3 Sets of 15-20

RerDelts: Standing Head High Rear Delt Pinches

x2 Sets of 15-20

Shoulders: Seated Overhead Smith Bar Press (Last 2 Sets Rest Pauses) (Infront OR Behind the Neck)

x4 Sets of 5-6 (8-12 every other Week)

Shoulders: Brandon Curry Seated Boxing Twists to Almost straight OR Arnold Press

x3 Sets of 8-12

SdeDelts: Dumbbell Side Raisers (Rest Pauses)

x3 Sets of 10-15

FrntDelts: Single Arm Dumbell Front Raisers (Drop Sets to Two Arm Raisers)

x3 Sets of 16-20

Traps: Vertical Shoulder Lifts (Barbell Upright Row) (Last 2 Sets Rest Pauses)

x4 Sets of 8-10

Traps: Barbell Shrugs (Front)

x4 Sets of 8-10

Traps: Dumbbell Shrugs (Standing or Seated) OR Cable Shrugs (Both Behind)

x2 Sets of 10-12

(You should hold the position at full contraction and squeeze at the top, then slowly lower your shoulders to feel a stretch at the bottom)

tl;dr the 2nd half. Looks crap too me and I doubt many people would progress with that routine. Just shows how good some PTs are.

a) I didn't understand any of it
b) it just looks shit and overcomplicated
c) that's coming from me which says something
d) that's Canadia for you

Leave Canada out of it Grimmyaihme....they're the world curling champions FFS.

holy crap thats the worlds biggest routine.

There is no way I would be able to finish half of that.

I do 5 exercises max for legs, at the end I feel like I want to vomit. I go home and pretty much curl up into a ball and sleep all night and yes its legs so includes calves.

If I can follow the routine correctly there are 9 exercises for Tuesday "legs" and that doesn't include calves

TLDR, read the 'chest' section, then got confused so gave up on the rest.

I think its way to comlicated, KISS, damn Canadica

I read the part about squatting with toes pointed in, then I cringed and couldn't read anymore.

if i cant do a workout in less than max 40min (inc warmup).. its way too much volume.. That looks like your about to get ready for a marathon in lifting..

Leave Canada out of it Grimmyaihme....they're the world curling champions FFS.

2 things that don't make sense to me in this world include this routine, and curling. Worth noting that this guy is from NZ, he's not Canadian.

This mate of mine is a good bloke and has a heart of gold, but unfortunately has no interest in getting stronger, he just enjoys doing his isolation work at the gym and making lots of loud noises.

......But while we are taking the piss, here's a couple of stories from the time spent with him at the gym....

- Could hear some intense yelling from down the hall as I walked to the gym. Thought someone was doing a new PB or something. Walked in to see Jamie doing a set of 5kg db flys.

- Asked me for advice on SLDL so I showed him how to do it. The next week we are at the gym with a mutual friend and he tells him to keep his legs locked out the whole time because there's more of a BURN. He was lifting 40kg.

- He complained about his chicken legs. I said he should squat. His response was "I prefer 45 degree leg press because squats don't give me enough of a burn the next day". I laughed for a good 5 minutes. He has squatted once at this gym, and that was a few quick sets of 40kg.

- In about a week he should receive his order of pre & post workout protein, Jack3d and creatine.