• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Farmers handles

kal-el

Im about to make up some farmers handles and was wondering if their is anything specific I should take into account.

distance between plates, handle design, total length etc.

Im not sure whether or not Im going to make them out of solid round bar or piping yet. Pretty sure the handles will be either 28mm, that way I can put fat grips on if I want to.

So far the rough design will be 50mm round bar with two pieces of flat steel welded to the 50mm bar and to the 28mm bar to make the handle. Im going to cut a piece of pipe and fit it over the 50mm bar as a collar and weld that on as the inside collar.

So any tips hints etc

thanks

Hey mate, I just made a set. Not sure if I'm reading your post right, but are you going to run flat bar as the base? If so you're going to be better off using rhs as you will need bloody heavy flat, otherwise it will flex like a bitch. I used 75x50 x2.5mm rhs as the base, mitred both ends and capped off. Will have them back from the powder coaters on Wednesday. Let me know if you want photos / measurements.

The only thing you have to account for is fitting the plates on if top loaded, and how long you want the handle

Handle length would be ~12cm
Need to allow ~25cm from plate loading point to handle

We made these View attachment 5004
Farmers walks out of some steel beams and an old weights bar. Lots of welding and a coat of paint! They weigh 45kgs each. If you want more specific details let me know!

Edit. That pic is terrible, I'll get a better one

Last edited:
These are what I thought for dimensions etc

Jimmy hopefully this gives a better idea of where I mean for flat bar. I think the way you made yours is different to my design? But dimensions and pics would be great none the less, thanks.

Hamburgler, I think youre talking about the same design style as Jimmy?

5005d1345951244-farmers-handles-farmers-handles.jpg

Attachments

• farmers handles.jpg
    farmers handles.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
We made these View attachment 5004
Farmers walks out of some steel beams and an old weights bar. Lots of welding and a coat of paint! They weigh 45kgs each. If you want more specific details let me know!

Edit. That pic is terrible, I'll get a better one

That pic is pretty bad but they still look like some serious farmers walks.

Yeah if you could give measurement thats would be great. The main thing Im concerned about I guess is having enough room between plates so I dont bash my knees on them.

Yeah sorry misunderstood, I thought you meant you were going to have them like the ones in Taurus photo but with flat bar instead of where he had I-beam. I made mine like the photo so the plates can't move if you tilt the handles forwards or backwards while walking. Will post up some photos during the week.

The design I'd use is the same as the Iron Edge ones

The other design is pretty pox
Plates will roll when the handles placed on ground, it destroys the plates when you drop it (presuming using on the driveway etc) and the plates will slide off

Tauras thanks for the pic, where did you get the railway steel from?

Burgler, I was thinking about that I just thought the economy style would be easier and cheaper to make. Although I guess using some box the IE way wouldnt be much harder, I just dont have box lying around and have some of the 50mm.

Jimmy cheers, if you could chuck up some rough dimensions too thatd be good.