• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Exercise Routine Help??

brian_wong

Im 14 and I'm starting to do a bit of weights training (im 60 kg and skinny as s***)

Ive got 3 different routines (all using either no equipment or dumbells, i dont have any barbells)
its not very well done and im looking for some adjustments that will make my training a little more effective and perhaps not so time consuming

1st Day (upper body)

Bicep Curls (Twist, Hammer and Concentration)
3x8 reps of each type (1 min rest)

Tricep Dips (elevated)
8x8 reps (1 min rest)

Shoulder Press
3x8 reps (1 min rest)

Arnie Press
3x8 reps (1min rest)

Standing DB upright row
4x8 reps (1 min rest)

Day 2 (mid body)

Bicycle Crunch
8x15 reps (1 min rest)

One armed row
4x8 reps (1 min rest)

Back raise
4*8 reps (1 min rest)

Pushups (elevated, diamond and wide)
3*8 reps of each type (1 min rest)

Day 3 (lower body)

DB Squats
4x10 reps (1min rest)

Standing Calf Raise
5x10 reps (1min rest)

Lunges
4x10 reps (1 min rest)

Day 4 - rest day

Thoughts:
-might drop day 4 as a rest day and make it a 3 day cycle
-the tricep exercise IMO is not enough for my triceps
-need an exercise to work the glutes
-please dont suggest chinups, i can barely do any

Brian,
You should do full body workouts 2-3 times per week 1 working set of each after warm up, not upper, mid and lower.

Squats
Bench press
Row
Chin up
Shoulder Press
Calf Raise

Do not worry about bicep curls or tricep work for a while, they will get adequate stimulation with the benches, military's, rows and chins.

You can add deadlifts if confident enough.

Last edited:
If you are too weak put a chair under legs and give yourself a spot, but if you do not have a bar the dumbell rows are sufficient for now.

Yes you can keep crunches and push-ups are no substitute for chins, they work different muscles, just stick with rows for your back and dumbell presses or push ups for chest.

to put on 10 kg of muscle in one year

might need to be more realistic about it.

you arent gonna put on 10kg of muscle in one year doing mostly BW exercises and a few hammer curls. i'd just concentrate on getting some strength up and eating like crazy, access to some real equipment will make a big difference too.

goals like adding 10kg of muscle are a long way off for you yet

Remember he is 14. Growth can be crazy then. IIRC, I was 1.50m/47kg at 12 and 1.80m/67kg at 16, and most of the growth was around 15. Was it all muscle? Of course not - but very little was fat, you could see my ribs.

Just natural development of an adolescent can put on lots of weight, I was skinny but there were plenty of big guys around.

Brian, if during this time of great natural growth you have a decent fitness and strength programme, and combine it with eating lots of good food, you will build a solid foundation for your adult physique. Just don't focus on particular goals like 10 or 8 or 12kg of muscle growth. Your normal ups and downs of growing up mean that's impossible to aim at that precisely.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, drink plenty of milk, eat those big pasta, potato, rice or noodle meals your family is probably eating, lift weights a few times a week, go for runs/cycles a few times a week, go to bed and get up early, and you should be right. Enjoy the journey.

Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, drink plenty of milk, eat those big pasta, potato, rice or noodle meals your family is probably eating,
Please add plenty of protein to these foods Brian. Chicken, tuna, steak, eggs as well. Protein is what will build your muscles.