• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

drinking

Flea

what are peoples views on drinking alcohol, as oppose to working out..
does it effect muscle growth etc..
I enjoy having a beer or rumbo, I try and not drink on days I work out..
but week ends are another matter :rolleyes:
curious to other people views, did you give it up all together or just cut back?

It's empty calories. It adds to the total energy going in, but it has little other nutrition.

So it's all about whether you're trying to bulk up or slim down. If you want to bulk up, then it does no harm to have some alcohol - say, no more than six standard drinks a week (a standard drink is one light beer stubby/can, half a glass of wine, or one shot of spirits). But really you should be getting your calories from sources with other nutrients in them. If you're trying to slim down, then give up the booze entirely.

The booze doesn't magically affect muscle growth, but it certainly affects whether you feel like going to the gym the day after :D

The booze doesn't magically affect muscle growth,

Actually it does apparently.
I said this on another post and I can`t find the article (I have it somewhere in a pile of mags) but it actually does inhibit protein synthesis.Drink on a non workout day if you must but after a workout is not advisable.
If you have to drink a bloody mary (tom juice and vodka base) or a grapefruit and voda or gin are the best to go for.That`s probably not practical or you maybe don`t like it so have a few beers in moderation.

For me drinking is just about always a big negative on my training. When I drink it's usually a bender with the boys which means a night with no sleep, not eating for a very long period while i'm drinking, and standing outside in a taxi line in the cold for an hour at the end of the night. A night like that will generally mean I get a cold during the week because my immune system becomes really weak. In this instance it isn't only the alcohol that affects me but also the other activities that are associated with drinking.

A beer or two at a time isn't too bad. I drink the low carbs one coz I find there nicer anyway. Generally I don't drink nearly as much as I used to and I don't really want to either because I know how bad it is for my body. I'm pretty sure alcohol also reduces the bodies ability to metabolise fat.

For me drinking is just about always a big negative on my training. When I drink it's usually a bender with the boys which means a night with no sleep, not eating for a very long period while i'm drinking, and standing outside in a taxi line in the cold for an hour at the end of the night. A night like that will generally mean I get a cold during the week because my immune system becomes really weak. In this instance it isn't only the alcohol that affects me but also the other activities that are associated with drinking.

A beer or two at a time isn't too bad. I drink the low carbs one coz I find there nicer anyway. Generally I don't drink nearly as much as I used to and I don't really want to either because I know how bad it is for my body. I'm pretty sure alcohol also reduces the bodies ability to metabolise fat.

pretty much how I am.. go pretty good during the week but once the weekend rolls round I drink like a fish :rolleyes:

I've also read something alone the same lines, so if your drinking to excess ever weekend, its really going to hamper your progress. Even if you aren't training it cant be good for you.
Moderation is the key, but it did take me a few years to learn that. And I still forget once or twice a year, lol.
Mike

Actually it does apparently.
I said this on another post and I can`t find the article (I have it somewhere in a pile of mags) but it actually does inhibit protein synthesis.Drink on a non workout day if you must but after a workout is not advisable.
If you have to drink a bloody mary (tom juice and vodka base) or a grapefruit and voda or gin are the best to go for.That`s probably not practical or you maybe don`t like it so have a few beers in moderation.

yeh i never dring during the week because once you start drinking alone...thats when you are an alcho :)

because i train on a friday night i only have a few beers on a saturday night.

I still like to have a "quality of life" I enjoy my beer alot. Over the weekend I will buy 2 x 6 packs of Hahn Super Dry (Low Carb). I usually consume 4 on Friday night, 4 on Saturday night and 4 on Sunday.

I feel I deserve it as I work hard in the gym each week and stick to a pretty regimented diet. I am also someone who stays lean quite easy, so it doesn't seem to affect me in that regard. I guess it would differ from person to person.

Because I have never drunk, I feel awkward telling people the problems that drinking has on your lifting.

The results are horrific, but do your own research rather than having a non drinker ear bashing you.

My wife has been a drinker since she was 17. Loved spirits as a young girl, then wine as she got older.

At the age of 43, after reading what I already knew, she hasnt touched a single drop, gave all her booze to our next door neighbour, who also trains with us, but she is a borderline alcoholic. Its now been 20 months since she has had a drop.

Do your own research if you really want to know. Its not good though, so if you dont want to stop, dont read.

Lifting isn't everything to some people though. As much as I love getting into the gym and going hard, there is ALOT more to me as well.

I enjoy a beer while watching footy on the weekends, I enjoy beers with my mates after racing each other at the track all day and talking shit afterwards.

I am not competing, I am not trying to be a Ronnie Coleman type. Just fit, healthy and strong with a good physique is enough for me. Each to their own I guess.

Last edited:
Your 100% correct, its why I dont bother telling people to stop drinking, its pointless.

I can get clients to stop most things that are keeping them from their goals, but I have zero success when it comes to alcohol.

Two of my female clients are begging me for a diet, they are 20 years old. They say they wont stop drinking.

I'm not wasting my time writing up a personal nutrition plan for them, complete waste of time.

Most wont to change, but they wont make changes.

As long as your content and you are happy with your lifting and appearance, keep doing what youre doing.

How much power is your GTiR making ? I know its off topic, dont really care.

I know what you are saying, though I often wonder where point lies that you are serious enough that Alcohol is really affecting your liftng.

I mean I love lifting and get 5 sessions a week in, split Chest, Back, Legs, Shoulders and Arms with 3 ab sessions thrown in as well. I have a pretty solid diet that I really nailed down about 4 months ago. All my lifting is Monday - Thursday and a Saturday session. I drink 4 beers on Friday, Saturday and Sunday with the occasional bender here and there (every 8 - 10 weeks).

How much would it be affecting someone like me that is serious about what I am doing yet not as serious as some who spend $,$$$'s on supps, wakes up in the middle of the night for protein, doesn't go out for dinner or drink etc because of its effects. This I have often wondered. If I had never touched a drop since training would I be a heap bigger/stronger/more defined? I am not sure if it would make that much of a difference for someone in my position.

My GTiR has 200kw atw on 18 psi. It has full boost just under 4000rpm and a very strong mid range. Once the gearbox is in, it will be tuned to 23psi where I am hoping to make 240 - 250 kw atw. A fair bit has been spent on driveline, handling and suspension and reliability.

Josh.

I'm not a regular drinker, I don't buy slabs or sixpacks or bottles of spirits. We have some wine, but only drink it when we have dinner parties, which is once or twice a month, so I get one or two glasses in. Then we might go out a couple of times a month, and again usually there's some alcohol. So I guess it'd average to 1.5 standard drinks a week.

However, that's the average, the reality is 4-6 in one week and then nothing for 3 weeks.

In the past I was a heavier drinker - goes with being in the Army. At one point we'd go most Saturdays to a mate's place around 1100 where he'd set up his woodfired barbie, that'd take hours to get going, by 1400 we were cooking and 1500 eating, we'd keep at it until about 0200 Sunday. In those 12-15 hours we'd consume about a slab of beers each plus some spirits.

If I tried that now I'd be in hospital by 1900 ;)

I eased back towards the end of my service, until by sign-out I was a non-drinker.

Going from being a heavy drinker to no or relatively little drinking, it did make a significant difference, I found. You just have more fuel in your tank if it's not mixed with booze. Your endurance is better

But probably more importantly, your motivation is better. Alcohol is a depressant, which is just what it sounds like - it slows you down, damps down all your excitement, even makes you impotent. You just can't train with as much intensity if you've some booze in your system - and it stays in your system surprisingly long, some blokes have been on the piss one night and then got done for drink driving the next morning on the way to work.

It knocks down your your strength, too. It also makes a difference in dietary terms, there are a lot of calories in booze, and those calories have got zero nutrition keeping them company.

So it does make a difference, even for a recreational athlete. One glass of wine or one beer one night a week is not going to have a noticeable effect. But a slab over the weekend is going to root you.

This is why in that beginner's advice (that's for completely untrained unfit beginners who'll have no trainer or partner to work with) I always give, I say "not more than six standard drinks in a week, and not more than four on one day." On thought I would add, "not more than one the day before a workout, and the four only if you've two rest days ahead."

I think Markos is right in that almost no-one will follow that advice given by someone else, it has to come off your own bat. Still it doesn't hurt to plant the seed of the idea in there for the person, so if they come up to their limits, they can say to themselves, "if I want to get past here, I have to leave the grog behind."

The obstacle really is social. If you won't drink with your mates you'll feel a bit of an outsider. Genuine friends rather than just "mates", they'll understand and not hassle you, and you can still all have fun together. But some mates will take the piss viciously and not leave you alone. Unfortunately the only answer to that is to get new mates.

As you say, Josh, it's all about the lifestyle you want to live and the particular goals you have. You have to balance it all up. I say that's fine, you just have to sit down every few months and think it through, do you want to put more emphasis on this or on that, change your workout or your lifestyle, etc. Just always be assessing whether things are still working for you. A lot of us get into habits and keep doing them even when they're not making us happy.

I'm not going to bash alcohol because its a lost cause. I feel like the Lone Ranger when the subject comes up. Do your own research. It took nearly 20 years for my wife to stop, and I never asked her even once to quit, I'm not like that. She never tells me to not spend money on cars either. Its why we've lasted so long lol

Without being a smart ass, most people think I'm 30 and I've had to produce my licence on heaps of occasions. Nobody close to me can remember me getting sick or having a flu in the last 10 years. I have 5 kids that bring everything home from school, my clients get colds and flus, I never catch them.

I dont take any supplements, but I eat well. I've never drank or smoked, my father did both, dying from smoking. Its just personal choice.

My S15 made 200rwkw by 4000rpm with a Greddy T518Z. The best thing I ever got for that car was a HPI manifold. Peak power went up only 12rwkw, not much for a $1200 investment, but I gained 22rwkw at 4000rpm. It hit 258rwkw. It revved like a motor bike, something that doesnt show on a dyno, but f u c k it hit the rev limiter quick (8000rpm)

its a personal choise, i'm never wanted to be a body builder. i begam weights merely as a requirement to bulk up enough to be able to withstand and lay tackles, which is required for footy (AFL, ametures not the actual AFL) but i started to enjoy the weights that i still do 3 sessions a week.

i know excessive consumption will harm your growth but i'm not going to stop having a few brews with my mates on weekends.

because i work out on a fridays, i just stick to water on friday nights...i get a bit of stick from my mates. its wierd that people assume that your on pills if your drinking water at a club, i used to explain that its because i trained a few hours before and i dont want to waste that effort...now i dont bother and just agree with what ever they say

Is it true that alcohol has a negative effect on testosterone levels and it usually takes around a week to get 'em back up to the norm?

Yes. Depends on how much you consume, how long you've been drinking for, your bodyweight and so on for the exact times. But yes, it drops testosterone and that takes a while to recover.

It's a depressant. It depresses things, slows everything down.