• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does my diet plan sound right?

zan777

Hey Guys,

Diet is one big part of my training program holding me back. I've had an attempt at calculating my macro requirements and just wanted peoples feedback if I had the ballpark figures correct.

Current stats:
hight: 181cm
Weight: 68kg

Currently go to the gym 3x a week for heavy work + basic dumbell + bench work at a lighter weight (due to no spotter) every day.

on top of that I have 3, what i would call high intensity aerobic/anerobic running sessions a week. (10km with surges and sprints etc thrown in). Depending on how i feel will go for a light recovery jog at a very low speed on alternative days.

Also play touch footy competitively once a week.

My main goals are to increase muscle mass, which I know may be more challenging for me than others because of my fairly energy demanding lifestyle.

I calculated my BMR to be 1792 using:

(BMR = 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

I then used an activity multiplier of 1.5 to get a calorie requirement of 2688. I prefer working in kilajoules so then converted that to 11236 Kj.

From there i wast sure if my carb demmands would be higher due to the amount of aerobic work so went with a ratio of 35:45:20 (protein, carb, fat) this gave me the requirements of:

231g protein
297g Carbs
60g fat

how does this sound? should i go for a more conventional 40:40:20 ratio? Any comments would be appreciated.

thanks

try it and find out everyones different. for myself though i'd lower the protein a bit and add more fat but thats just me

I would say you may need more calories but give it a try for a month and see if you have increased in weight.

Thanks for the quick replies. These macro's will definetly be a step up on what I currently consume. Fats + carbs i think i have covered but i will find it very difficult to hit that much protein I think. I'l try it out and see how it works for me.

as for layouts of meals, i am still pretty lucky to get a cooked dinner from mum every night so will plan for meals around this:

Breakfast, Early Lunch (12), Late Lunch (3), Mum's dinner, after dinner meal (9). I don't really control whats for dinner so that will vary and I will use it as a "surplus" meal to my diet.

still keen for an constructive posts

Last edited:
What more do you need?

You used ratios which I don't suggest but from your ratios you are getting over the min 2g per kg of protein and 0.8g per kg of fat so they are fine. You have made sure you have enough carbohydrate intake. We have stated your calories may need to be increased but no one can really know what you need until you actually trial it as every ones metabolism is different.

You are pretty much set. Just trial for 1 month and adjust if you have not gained a kilo. If you have keep up the good work. Pretty simple all you need to do is start.

Microutrient wise is all dependent on what you eat but you have not gone into this so no other info can be given. Plus that is more for guys like MaxBrenner or Christian.

Also meal timing wise is not important. You can eat in either 1 larger meal a day or 20 small ones. Do what suits you and keeps you from being hungry/allows you to get the food in. So you could stick to 3 meals a day if need be.

What more do you need?

Still new to everything so just if other people had other views etc that might be helpful that kinda stuff. You raised a point about not totally agreeing with my macro ratios... what ratio's would you go for?

as for micro's I will be taking 2 fish oil caps a day and creatine mono. Usually have a good balance of fresh fruit + veg and should get enough BCCA's through the amount of whey I will consume per day. Is this the sort of info you were after?

Do you think a multi-vit is necessarily in my situation? Going to start the diet on monday once all my exams are over and just wanted to get as many views as possible.

cheers

I am against the use of ratios not the ratios you use. You should go for at least the minimums I stated in my previous post and then fill the rest of your calories from whichever you choose. Usually a bit more protein.

You don't need to sweat the small stuff you should try for 3000 calories and see how your gains are after one month and then adjust by 10% depending on the outcome. Just eat, it is really that simple. Work out macronutrient breakdowns so you can fairly easily make a decision and just eat. The easier it is for you to get you food in the better the outcome will be in the end.

Still new to everything so just if other people had other views etc that might be helpful that kinda stuff. You raised a point about not totally agreeing with my macro ratios... what ratio's would you go for?

as for micro's I will be taking 2 fish oil caps a day and creatine mono. Usually have a good balance of fresh fruit + veg and should get enough BCCA's through the amount of whey I will consume per day. Is this the sort of info you were after?

Do you think a multi-vit is necessarily in my situation? Going to start the diet on monday once all my exams are over and just wanted to get as many views as possible.

cheers
Dave has had it all covered (I'm not needed here :D ) and the guidelines he explained are all you need to worry about and adhere to.

On your supplements consume 10grms of fish oils per day, creatine 5grms per day (please read creatine sticky in the supplements section) and the amount of whey that you want to help fill in your protein intake that you will not achieve from whole food sources. Nothing else is required unless you need some caffeine before training. FYI, you will be consuming more than enough BCAA's through your diet and whey powder :)