• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does flexability affect a persons general health

kindred

Do you think flexability has anything to do with how fit you are overall? I noticed that people with better flexability strugle and exhert less effort than people who arent as felxable. Has anyone else noticed this?

i have lower back problems.. when i was going to a physio i found that stretching my hammys helped a lot ..

Of course flexibility is an important part of fitness. IMHO, probably one of the most forgotten parts, especially by me! Ask any old person how a loss of flexibilty affects their ability to do everyday activities. But being too flexible is a problem as joints are unstable.

Agree flexability is over looked and i really regret loosing mine, (mostly due to a back problem ) I used to be very flexible for a guy, as i was traing 4 days a week in martial arts, and stretching every day.

One thing I will say is that if you are going to increase your range of motion you need to increase your strength at those angles, or yes you will hurt something..

Being flexible increases your muscle length which means it bunches up more when tightens, looks bigger!, but also by stressing the attachment points of the muscles and tendons it acts similar to lifting weights,, it forces these attachments to become stronger.

Stretching is a great way to get blood pumping through the muscles, and if you have a good stretch, (30 mins) you will feel heaps more limber.

To stretch, treat it as an execise, do it 3 times, hold for 15 seconds to maintain a stretch, hold for 30 seconds to increae your flexiblity. I found do a quick warm up, bike, walk, starjumps, etc for a few minutes will help heaps. do one give teh muscle a break between stretches, ie do hammy, then quad, then adductor, then back to hammy etc, you get a little routine, going..

Have yoru stretch after your shower at night while watchin TV, really takes your mind off what you are doing, I used to practice my split while studying, Just remember to relax the muscles every 30 seconds so you maintaine blood flow.

Limber up!

YEs...was able to do it both ways

front back was a little harder as my quads were not that flexi, but side ways i could have each foot on a besser brick and my ass would still touch the floor, I was quite flexible..:eek:

I used to joke that anyting i could touch / reach with my hand i could get with my foot..

Kindred i mainly did Zen do kai Karate, ~3 years but that mixed up with Kick boxing a bit and we did random days boxing or jujitsu.. then I did Wha Rang Tae kwon do, for a few years, but that was about 10 years ago now. would love to go back just for fun but alas shift work sux.

When I lose some weight id like to give Zen Do Kai a go. I tried Kin Bushi Ryu and that wasnt bad.