• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do you consider yourself strong?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
I don't mean for this to be a "what is strong" type of discussion, I'm more curious about people's mindsets, particularly those who have made great progress.

despite all my training over years, never been that strong. Without gear, best bench 147.5kg and 137.5kg with a pause, 135kg power clean. Probably give myself a C in terms of strength achieved,

Maybe a C+ to B for strength at an older age. Near 50 years of age (95-100kg bw) I did 137.5kg bench (125kg in comp), 112.5kg power clean, 160kg squat (Powerlifting comp) and 230kg deadlift (powerlifting comp).

Last edited:
Although I'm certainly not as strong as I was 10 years ago, I'm much stronger than the average bloke my age.

To me, the best way to describe strong, is "to do"
I've related this numerous times on here to strongman comp's, these are great shows of strength.
In the old days anyway, (10 year ago) I don't know what current strongman comp's are like these days.

I don't mean for this to be a "what is strong" type of discussion, I'm more curious about people's mindsets, particularly those who have made great progress.

don't mean for this to be a "what is strong" type of

Sorry bout that.
But that's my mindset on strong.
Not how much I can bench or squat or more importantly deadlift.

In that case, my mind is very strong. Unfortunately, my results do not match my effort and mindset.

But, hopefully they will in 2014.

my knowledge and training intensity is as good as it has ever been.

But my body is not the same, which is hindering my progress.

When the results are down, it does depress me for a day or so, albeit I still bounce back because I love exercise so much.

Because I am so driven by feats of prowess, despite my age, I still tend to judge my progress by my performance.

The fact that I am very fit and strong when compared to most people my age does not really interest me.

I do not consider myself strong by PL standards, but comparing myself to average joe my age i would think i am much stronger.

I would never consider myself physically strong, although I probably do OK for someone of my tiny size

But overall, I think I'm so much more mentally tough than years ago and I get stronger every year.

While it may not be what you intended by strong, [MENTION=1]Admin[/MENTION];,
I think mental strength carries over to physical strength too in time and impacts what you can do there as much as in any other aspect of life.

I've never called myself strong, but when I look around the gym I generally have an extra plate on each end of the bar than most, so that puts me in the stronger group of lifters.

The Grunta is all about looks anyways, strength is just a byproduct. :D

If I was to compare myself to the average bloke, I'm strong.
Compared to powerlifters at my weight, no I'm not.

Fact is if you squat/dead/bench tripple digits you are fucking strong conpared to normal people. Just not that strong compared to weight lifters.

In competition? 105kg
At my next meet I'll completely obliterate this though, but I'm doing most of my training in the 75-85% zone but you can tell from bar speed etc