• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Do bodybuilders do cardio?

I've never done a body pump class, but they are scheduled for several times a week at my Gym. I believe they do a variety of barbell exercises (curls, presses, rows, etc) at low weight but many repititions for each over the 45 minutes of the class.
I'm a bit embarrassed to have a go, 95% ladies LOL.
Might just select my own circuit and just keep weight low and reps high. I like the idea of the "Lose Fat / Maintain Muscle" circuit Fadi posted. Low weight high reps to replace a Spin bike session. See if that helps.

I have done bodypump before. It is primarily aimed at women who don't want to lift heavy. It's great for muscle endurance due to the hundreds of reps in each "track" of music, but it's not the same as lifting heavy weights, less reps. For example, the leg track (each song is about 3-4 mins long) has over 100+ squats in it, done to different tempos and depths (ie. some partial squats or combinations). faff, feel free to give it a go, but just be aware there are better things you could do.

I was serious.

If a training style is useless, it simply cuts into recovery time.

Recovery time is when we build muscle.

Muscle elevates our BMR

An elevated BMR burns fat.

If your going to be cutting into recovery, make sure its doing something worthwhile.

If you simply want to imitate Jane Fonda, buy a headband and sleep in front of the TV

Yeah I've done bodypump also. It's more aimed toward muscular endurance workout and elevating the heart rate - don't expect a hypertrophy response from this style of training. As far as I see it, your bodypump class is more appropriately classified as a circuit cardio session, not as "weights".

Meanwhile, just give the class a go if you're curious...what's the harm? Don't worry about your masculinity...after all you could be doing a dance class :D

The subject (bodypump) is being talked about in relation to cardio and not building muscle.

Hmmm...it would help if I read the entire conversation and not just skip to the last page methinks. Nevertheless, it's a common question I get about pump classes so I thought I would share.

Last edited:
Regardless, your spot on

I prefer muscular endurance training be done with heavy KB's to be honest

Regardless, your spot on

I prefer muscular endurance training be done with heavy KB's to be honest

Or burpees; I know Markos just loves burpees. I'm serious! They're not brutal for nothing.

KB would be just amazing not just for torturing the prime movers, but also for being the king of involving the stabiliser muscles (something most weight trainers take for granted).

That was my two cents worth...

Fadi.

I've never done a body pump class, but they are scheduled for several times a week at my Gym. I believe they do a variety of barbell exercises (curls, presses, rows, etc) at low weight but many repititions for each over the 45 minutes of the class.
I'm a bit embarrassed to have a go, 95% ladies LOL.
Might just select my own circuit and just keep weight low and reps high. I like the idea of the "Lose Fat / Maintain Muscle" circuit Fadi posted. Low weight high reps to replace a Spin bike session. See if that helps.
Bodypump is a great workout, when combined with weight training, kettlebells and other forms of cardio. It certainly does give you definition. I have been doing it for a while. Squats are very high repetition and you do need to vary your depth. Clean and Press combined with deadlift and bentover rows are a great way to sculpt the back. It can be off putting the way it is soley aimed at women. Don't let that faze you if you are willing to perservere with it you will get a workout which is very much about muscle conditioning. Your definition will improve out of sight.:cool: