• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DISCUSSION: Battle of the Bulge

I feels as though i can eat really well at 500cal deficit for 2 weeks, lose a kilo then have 1 day where i binge and eat at +1000cals over maintenance and i've put the kilo back on.

A one day binge to add a kilo?... Not with 1000 cals you didnt... It would have been mostly water...

Remembering that generally speaking a kilo of fat is around 7500 calories...

Therefore you would have to eat more then 7500 calories over maintenance to achieve a 1 kilo weight gain in a day...

Interesting topic, I have battled against the bulge ever since I gave up smoking in my 20's. Cigarettes kept me super lean used to be able to smoke and eat whatever I wanted and never have my weight budge, as soon as I quit I had a tendency to run to fat very easily. Really fucked with my metabolism and I went from a classic ecto to an endo in the space of a few months.

Ever since then it has been a battle to keep my weight in a comfortable range. Still I think alot of guys rob themselves of good gains and real size by not eating enough. If your 70-80kg range and not getting bigger after a couple years in the gym your diet is to blame, I think alot of guys get on the juice cause they struggle to be both lean and big at the same time and want the size without putting on any 'fat' mass.

I wonder if there is a cap to what you can gain in a day... eg... if you've already eaten 10,000 calories, is there a limit to how much more fat the body can generate if you eat another 5,000 ?...

Thats why Rippetoe's starting strength diet never quite sit well with me. Eating truckloads of food for two weeks I felt like chubby as fuck, so I stopped immediately and just go 200 cals over maintenance.

I am the opposite in terms of food, its the days off when I am relaxing around that I tend to snack a lot (fruit mostly), but when I am working I hardly have time to even think about what to eat, let alone be distracted by hunger.

I often used to have 1-2 smokes when I was trying to lose weight. Usually to space out time between meals. Hardly a healthy way to lose weight but it worked.

Thats why Rippetoe's starting strength diet never quite sit well with me. Eating truckloads of food for two weeks I felt like chubby as fuck, so I stopped immediately and just go 200 cals over maintenance.

I am the opposite in terms of food, its the days off when I am relaxing around that I tend to snack a lot (fruit mostly), but when I am working I hardly have time to even think about what to eat, let alone be distracted by hunger.

The starting strength diet recommendations are for skinny arse teenagers that can't put on weight. For the rest of us it will just lead to fat gain.

A one day binge to add a kilo?... Not with 1000 cals you didnt... It would have been mostly water...

Remembering that generally speaking a kilo of fat is around 7500 calories...

Therefore you would have to eat more then 7500 calories over maintenance to achieve a 1 kilo weight gain in a day...

yeah, i know, it's retarded and on the surface it does not respect the laws of thermodynamics (which we respect in this house).

but yes, i'm quite sure it's a combination of my weight prior to the re-feed being artificially low due to a combination of dehydration, low muscle glycogen, low fibre intake, etc and then after the re-feed my weight being artificially high due to higher glycogen, fibre, hydration, etc. then over the next 2 weeks i'll slowly bleed that off and repeat the cycle. overall for the last few months my weight loss graphs are sinusoidal with a very slow downward trend.

this is why i don't care about day-to-day weights, i do a 7-day running average ignoring the highest and lowest values in the dataset (ie, ignoring the outliers to avoid positively or negatively skewing results). i don't do measurements, but photos suggest a very slight increase in muscle and a slight loss of fat so that complicates things further and makes weight a less than useful measurement of progress.

i think this phenomenon is actually an indication that my maintenance is lower than i think it is hence my deficit is much smaller than i think it is meaning my weight loss is much slower than desired. i think it puts my maintenance at around 1800cals which is pretty low for a 6', 90kg male - i work an office job, but i also spend 8-10hrs a week on the bike and lift 3-4 times a week...

with a tiny deficit it's very easy to wipe it out with 1 or 2 meals on the weekend where i don't have weights or exact content of foods. it's also extremely frustrating because i feel like i'm making progress, then i re-feed and i've undone all my hard work when in fact i'm not and i'm actually doing the right thing. derp.

I wonder if there is a cap to what you can gain in a day... eg... if you've already eaten 10,000 calories, is there a limit to how much more fat the body can generate if you eat another 5,000 ?...

there are limits to how much fat your gut can absorb - at a certain point it will pretty much just give up and open the flood gates. also, there are particular foods and micronutrients that will do the same in high enough concetrations. i think once you hit 10,000 calories in a day, if you're still keen to keep packing them away i say go for it. relatively speaking, the damage will be minor ;)

yeah, i know, it's retarded and on the surface it does not respect the laws of thermodynamics (which we respect in this house).

but yes, i'm quite sure it's a combination of my weight prior to the re-feed being artificially low due to a combination of dehydration, low muscle glycogen, low fibre intake, etc and then after the re-feed my weight being artificially high due to higher glycogen, fibre, hydration, etc. then over the next 2 weeks i'll slowly bleed that off and repeat the cycle. overall for the last few months my weight loss graphs are sinusoidal with a very slow downward trend.

this is why i don't care about day-to-day weights, i do a 7-day running average ignoring the highest and lowest values in the dataset (ie, ignoring the outliers to avoid positively or negatively skewing results). i don't do measurements, but photos suggest a very slight increase in muscle and a slight loss of fat so that complicates things further and makes weight a less than useful measurement of progress.

i think this phenomenon is actually an indication that my maintenance is lower than i think it is hence my deficit is much smaller than i think it is meaning my weight loss is much slower than desired. i think it puts my maintenance at around 1800cals which is pretty low for a 6', 90kg male - i work an office job, but i also spend 8-10hrs a week on the bike and lift 3-4 times a week...

with a tiny deficit it's very easy to wipe it out with 1 or 2 meals on the weekend where i don't have weights or exact content of foods. it's also extremely frustrating because i feel like i'm making progress, then i re-feed and i've undone all my hard work when in fact i'm not and i'm actually doing the right thing. derp.

Yikes.... 1800 sounds low.... What's ya bf% like?

Regarding weighing in.... I use my lowest reading.... Once or twice a week I check for it first thing in the morning when I have dried out and as empty as I can be..

iMO using the lowest reading you can achieve is more accurate... I note that my weight can move up to 4 kilos within 24 hours...

I use to hit my lowest weight of the week on Mondays... Now its on Thursdays lol....

\

IF tends to work best for me as it means i can still have a pretty large dinner and i find it easier to skip eating earlier in the day.

I dunno about IF sometimes. before IF a 1000 calorie meal was usually pretty big for me now i can smash double that easily and if i binge its fuckin 3-4 times that. now i almost have to fast all day so i can eat at least 2500+ calories at dinner otherwise im just not satisfied. it seems like binging at least one meal a day is the norm now

I dunno about IF sometimes. before IF a 1000 calorie meal was usually pretty big for me now i can smash double that easily and if i binge its fuckin 3-4 times that. now i almost have to fast all day so i can eat at least 2500+ calories at dinner otherwise im just not satisfied. it seems like binging at least one meal a day is the norm now

I did my first day officially day of IF today. Got home at 5.30pm and still had 1400 Calories. Easily crushed it and still hungry now. It's great being able to indulge for a few hours but I can see how you could just keep eating.

I did my first day officially day of IF today. Got home at 5.30pm and still had 1400 Calories. Easily crushed it and still hungry now. It's great being able to indulge for a few hours but I can see how you could just keep eating.

yep my routine used to look like this which is cutting too, i dont bother doing IF on a bulk:

lunch - 500 cals
snack - 500 cals
dinner - 1000-1300 cals

now it looks like this:

lunch - 400 cals
dinner 2000 - skys the limit

now on paper that doesnt look so bad as the cals are basically the same as long as i dont get to "skys the limit" but when i hit the weekend or a day where i cant be fucked counting macros i'd easily hit 3-4000+ cals. i like IF as it fits my lifestyle (such a fucking cliche) but fuck me has it taught me to eat :eek:

yep my routine used to look like this which is cutting too, i dont bother doing IF on a bulk:

lunch - 500 cals
snack - 500 cals
dinner - 1000-1300 cals

now it looks like this:

lunch - 400 cals
dinner 2000 - skys the limit

now on paper that doesnt look so bad as the cals are basically the same as long as i dont get to "skys the limit" but when i hit the weekend or a day where i cant be fucked counting macros i'd easily hit 3-4000+ cals. i like IF as it fits my lifestyle (such a fucking cliche) but fuck me has it taught me to eat :eek:

I had a moment tonight when I started in putting my eats in my iPhone app (my fitness pal) and saw the green calories turn red.....OVER.

Your 2000+ evening feeds is that just dinner? Or made up of dinner, some
Dessert, shake, tea with milk etc?

I had a 500ish dinner (chicken, rice, veg) then 550 proats (WPI, pb, nuts, oreo) and 250ml milk split into oats and cup of tea.

Your 2000+ evening feeds is that just dinner? Or made up of dinner, some
Dessert, shake, tea with milk etc?

I had a 500ish dinner (chicken, rice, veg) then 550 proats (WPI, pb, nuts, oreo) and 250ml milk split into oats and cup of tea.

yeah dinner plus something like ice cream or snacks of some sort. it really come down to self control but ive never been good at that anyway

Yes its a struggle. I think I will end up exchanging weights for a bike. Doing Miles seems to burn of far more weight from what Ive seen.

Ill still Gym it just more relint on the Bike for loosing Kgs.