• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dip form for bench carryover

A typical PLifting thread.

Will dip improve me bench? WTF.

Bench will improve bench

Indeed, but you get to a point where more volume on the bench is silly.
Say you're benching 5x a week, will adding another bench session increase your bench much? What about if that extra session was dips or overhead press?

Most people never get to this point though and are looking for justification to dick around

Thanks bench masters

I've been told by a few people there's a lot of carryover, hence why I asked if form was important. All people who've recommended them (sometimes citing them as their favourite assistance exercise) have benched over 180kg at some point.

Why wouldn't form be important if there are two distinct ways to do an exercise, it's hardly a stupid question.

Indeed, but you get to a point where more volume on the bench is silly.
Say you're benching 5x a week, will adding another bench session increase your bench much? What about if that extra session was dips or overhead press?

Most people never get to this point though and are looking for justification to dick around

For healthy shoulders all forms of pulling and pushing should be used over time 0ni, I see what your writing.

Saying dips are an accessory exercise is just sillyness.

Thanks bench masters

I've been told by a few people there's a lot of carryover, hence why I asked if form was important. All people who've recommended them (sometimes citing them as their favourite assistance exercise) have benched over 180kg at some point.

Why wouldn't form be important if there are two distinct ways to do an exercise, it's hardly a stupid question.

Why ask the questions here?

Just do it and report back.

Infact you ask many stupid questions.

Thanks bench masters

Have you asked them 4 plate benches their opinion?

I can ask Shaun Bostock on Monday but I get the feeling he'd just look at me like I'm a window licker

I don't even know what assistance means
Something that assists the bench? Everything that isn't a bench press is assistance apparently, just over a scale

^ did you do weighted or just BW?

I did them for very high reps so BW. Started doing them after seeing how Defranco often has his blokes do BW exercises to build endurance and strength after the max effort lift. Found they worked well.

guys, I can bust out dips till the cows come home, BW and weighted.

but it has NEVER assisted my bench at all.

maybe it's different for guys but maybe it's just a matter of long levers not getting that benefit.

whatevs.

I also find the notion that if you get really fucking good at something it will not have "carry over" pretty hilarious

CCM let me know what your bench looks like when you can do sets of 10 with 3 plates hanging around your waste

Have you asked them 4 plate benches their opinion?

I can ask Shaun Bostock on Monday but I get the feeling he'd just look at me like I'm a window licker

I was hoping vonfram would respond

I haven't asked my friend who said the same thing

I might ask spritcha on another forum, I believe he told me at the seminar he liked dips as a great bench builder.

I'm currently doing about 15 sets of bench per workout, I find if I go over 15 though I start getting shoulder niggles which is why I use other exercises, hence the question about form. I currently do about 5 sets of dips and another 6-8 overhead press sets.

I think it helps, assistance to me is anything that works similar muscles, but in a slightly duffeent way...i do think dips allow more lat at the bottom and are great for training triceps and lockouts.

As previously mentioned they are good for increasing range of motion, and shoulder flexibility.

I allways get a huge pump in my pecs, shoulders tris and lats after high rep dips, way more than bench...

75Kg bw, max bench 130
best dip bw +50kg......coincidence?

I was hoping vonfram would respond

I haven't asked my friend who said the same thing

I might ask spritcha on another forum, I believe he told me at the seminar he liked dips as a great bench builder.

I'm currently doing about 15 sets of bench per workout, I find if I go over 15 though I start getting shoulder niggles which is why I use other exercises, hence the question about form. I currently do about 5 sets of dips and another 6-8 overhead press sets.

Nah I think it's about right. You increase the volume of the competition lift as much as you have time to do or can do due to injury. Then you add in special exercises. As for exercise selection, most strict pressing is going to be good for your bench apart from the decline press as that's fucking gay. If you're getting stronger then you're getting stronger