• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dilema

Turbaolag

Hey Everyone,

Im new to this forum and this is my first post so please bear with me :)

Ill give you a quik backround on myself

Male
183cm
86kg
Unsure of BF% (i estimate around 18-20)

I started training about a year ago at which point i was over 100kg and decided it was time to improve my fitness and general well being.
i Improved my diet and incorperated cardio and weights into my regime.
ive also gained a fair bit of muscle in the last year as prior to my change in lifestyle i had never been to the gym before :p

ok so my dilema is that im going overseas in june and want to look my best by then, however i am not as big or as lean as id like to be when i leave, so my question is in your guys opinion, with a 5 month timeframe would i be better off bulking to get the mass i want then cutting a couple of months before i leave? or just to get lean first then try and put on some muscle later?

im sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, even though ive been training for a year now i stil consider myself a newbie :p
Or any other suggestions that anyone may have would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers

I'd say it depends. But if you're already about 20% bodyfat, it could take the next 4-5 months to get as low a bodyfat% as you'd like. Probably go with whichever is more important to you: being bigger, or having a low bodyfat%. If it were me, I'd cut, because being 20% or higher seems to do some bad things to my health, and of course it doesn't look good, either, but your goals are your goals.

if i were you, i'd just put on as much muscle as you can in that time. could easily be 8kg of muscle, if your diet is good, and at your height, will look a lot better imo (a 75kg weed with abs, or a 95kg bigger lad with some muscle, but a little extra body fat). could even try some carb cycling between training/off days to try n lean up a little at the same time, but your gains will be decreased.

firstly no where says you cannot add muscle mass while still staying lean? Obviously you will put on more size whilst bulking however if you are up for a challenge and really dedicated all it takes is a perfect nutrition plan and a good training regime and you will see muscle gain while keeping lean as well?

A diet where your cycling your carbs would be ideal for this. low cals on rest days so your in a fat burning state during that day and high cals on intense training days so your body has enough nutients in the system to repair and build.

there is always a misconception that in order to build muscle you have to expect excess fat gain, it's not always the case.

@ your height you wouldn't want to lose any more weight id say keep lifting heavy and eating at maintenance you will see plenty of change's. if your not happy in say 3-4 months add some cardio and or start eating 250-500cal below maintenance

I've had this same discussion with my trainer, the more muscle you have the easier it should be to get lean as you have more muscle to burn up calories.Think of a four cylinder car and a V8 at idle, which burns the most juice.

if i were you, i'd just put on as much muscle as you can in that time. could easily be 8kg of muscle, if your diet is good, and at your height, will look a lot better imo (a 75kg weed with abs, or a 95kg bigger lad with some muscle, but a little extra body fat). could even try some carb cycling between training/off days to try n lean up a little at the same time, but your gains will be decreased.

8kgs in 5 months of muscle? Who you kidding??

Look just eat at maintainace lift heavy DNT do cardio get bodyfat low. while lifting heavy 6-8 range all tho there's no magic number for rep range and eating right and u will build lean mass or at least maintain it while cutting the body fat that's hiding muscle And your abs!! Don't go for a short cut or an 8 kg in month unrealistic obstacle ! Even a sligh improvement is an improvent..bodybuilding is a marathon not a sprint

What are your lifting stats?

I'd be inclined to eat around maintenance and keep lifting regularly. See how you feel in say 2 months and if you want to cut a bit then decrease the cals a bit or add some cardio.

For looks, I reckon fat loss always looks the best, unless you're really really tiny. Muscle growth is really slow. Get lean, women like it. No one really cares if you're massive or not.

Get lean, women like it.

Not universally true... especially outside of slim/lean/tan obsessed australia!

In my experience, american girls for example will generally pick a pudgier bigger guy with some muscle over a skinny guy, true to a lesser extent in NZ as well. and I've met a few girls here who would prefer a guy to be bigger and slightly overweight. (slightly being key of course)

Aesthetically, losing body fat is always the best course. I wouldn't be chewing into any more muscle mass though. I'd keep lifting regularly and gradually change body comp. Perhaps lean out 2-3kg of fat while retaining muscle.

I have lost 7 kg (down from 97kg) and my arms and chest measurements are the same basically - but I look a heap better, cuts in the arms make a difference. Did lose strength, but I am not training for that at the moment, goal is sub 10% by middle of feb.

8kgs in 5 months of muscle? Who you kidding??

Look just eat at maintainace lift heavy DNT do cardio get bodyfat low. while lifting heavy 6-8 range all tho there's no magic number for rep range and eating right and u will build lean mass or at least maintain it while cutting the body fat that's hiding muscle And your abs!! Don't go for a short cut or an 8 kg in month unrealistic obstacle ! Even a sligh improvement is an improvent..bodybuilding is a marathon not a sprint

if you're trying to tell me that you can't add 8kg in 21 weeks then you seriously need to reconsider how you train n lift. that's only 300g per week and is easily obtainable with proper training and a diet that's on point.

if you're trying to tell me that you can't add 8kg in 21 weeks then you seriously need to reconsider how you train n lift. that's only 300g per week and is easily obtainable with proper training and a diet that's on point.

Bahahah bud u said something stupid just come out be honest and admit that u where wrong and be done with it? 300 grams of weight gain is different that 300 grams of MUSCLE which will not ALL also all go to muscle growth. People like u who think they know it all are kidding them selves I am going to cut and paist this 8kg of muscle gain I'm 21 weeks and paist and use it In my signature lmao hilarious if u gain 8kgs of mass probably 60% off that is muscle so your philosophy all ready goes out the window ! Good tri tho too keep 8 kgs of lean muscle u would prob need a weight Gain 12 plus kgs to keep half of that

sorry to burst your bubble, bro, but yes, it is very possible. especially since the guy has only been training for a year. if your diet has absolute minimum calories above deficit, all the required nutrients, your training is right and you get plenty of sleep, it is still very possible. i put on 8kg in 3 months and less the 2kg was fat. 8kg of muscle in 21 weeks is very manageable.

and some women go for guys with nice personalities too :p

I can lick my ears and i do alright with the chicks....

As for the original question, considering the amount of time lifting and you current stats i would agree with others who say eat about maintenance and lift heavy and you SHOULD be able to make some good size gains with also dropping some BF.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

been away from home for a while and havent had a chnce to get to my computer.
im stoked with how many people have replied, all the replies are appreciated.
some of you asked for lifting stats so ill put them down,
since the original post ive been eating below maintenance and doing a fair bit of cardio, ive dropped to 84kg,
so lately i havent been lifting as much as i normally would and ill put what i was lifting before,
Squat: 100kg
Deadlift: 110kg
Bench: 85kg
Shoulder press: 45kg
Bent over row: 70kg

For the last 6 months or so my routine has been bassically the same, always aimed for 8-10 reps for all my excersizes, lift 5 days a week and cardio 3-4 times a week in the morning before breakfast.
only the last month have been cutting alot of carbs out and being especially clean with my diet, which has resulted in weight coming off quite quickly and thankfully not too much loss in strength.
as for all the advise, cheers, i think i will try to eat around maintenance and keep lifting heavy for a while, it seems to make sence for me at this stage.
anyone have any tips for diet?
ill put down a typical day for me at the moment, critisism is welcome as im still fairly new to this and trying to pick up any tips or hints i can

Breakfast: 5 egg whites, 2 yolks, half cup of oats cooked in water or 1 banana depending on time restrictions

mornin snack: 100g of tuna/slamon + 8-10 almonds

1st lunch: 200g chicken breast + 100g brown rice

2nd lunch: 6 boiled eggs (whites only) + 1 cup of sweet potato/Broccoli + 8-10 almonds

Preworkout: 30g protein shake + banana

Post workout: 30g protein shake

Dinner: chicken/steak 150g + cup of broccoli

Before bed: 30g casein protein shake

Once again criticism is welcome, keep in mind i do work a physical job and on my feet most of the day
thanks again to all the people who replied and i look forward to further disscusion

Cheers,
Brad