• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet Help!

Grove

Hey guys

I'm starting my SS program tomorrow and basically my goal throughout the 6 months is to increase my lifts and stay lean (get more toned). I've researched enough to know that my diet will play a large role in my end results. I was wondering if anyone out there (preferably an experienced member) could help critique my current diet. I don't know the exact name for my body-type however I'm one of those people that can put on weight easily. Unfortuently, I can't eat all I want then not gain a single thing. Here is some basic information about me.

Height: 190cm
Weight: 78.5kg (Was 86 before I started working out)

Meal 1 (Breakfast):
1/3 cup of Guardian Cereal Or Oats with 100mL of light milk
Protein Shake (2 scoops 100% WPI, 1 banana + 250-300mL light milk)

(472 Calories, 39.2g Carbs, 9.6g Fat, 35.2g Protein)

Meal 2 (School Meal):
125-150g of chicken breast with 60g mixed carrot + broccoli

(150 Calories, 7g Carbs, 1g Fat, 25g Protein)

Meal 3 (School Meal):
125-150g of chicken breast with 60g mixed carrot + broccoli

(150 Calories, 7g Carbs, 1g Fat, 25g Protein)

Meal 4 (Pre workout, Around 4pm):
Piece Of wholemeal/rye bread with butter + vegemite (Cheat meal)
1 apple
Handful Of Nuts (almonds/cashews)

(290 Calories, 23g Carbs, 17g Fat, 12g Protein)

Meal 5 (Post Workout, Around 6.30pm):
Protein Shake (2 scoops 100% WPI, 1 banana + 250-300mL of Light milk)

(310 Calories, 45g Carbs, 5g Fat, 27g Protein)

Meal 6 (Dinner):
Whatever is for dinner (Usually pasta/rice with some form of meat which is either chicken/beef/fish). Although I will make sure I get a good mixture of Salad/Meat with my rice or pasta.

Total (Meal 1-5, Not Counting Dinner)
(1372 Calories, 121.2g Carbs, 33.6g Fat, 124.2g)

Last edited:
Should probably re-word it haha. Its called 100% WPI but when I look on the back, per 100g you get about 95g of protein haha. The brand is "horleys", but im not too sure on whether I am going to change or keep buying it after its gone. It taste amazing but I wanna experience what else is out there.

Yeah, fair enough. Horleys is a little expensive, but not too bad. Try Bulk Nutrients Choc Mint. My favourite WPI ATM :)

Hi Grove,

First of all, good to see you starting off smart at 15. I admire the fact that you've already grasped the concept that diet is just as important as training.

That is a decent looking meal plan. If that is your current diet, how is it working for you right now? Are you gaining or losing weight on those meals?

If you're willing to crunch out some numbers, it could be worthwhile to get an estimate of your total daily expenditure so you can calculate roughly how much you should be eating.

Later on today I'll put up the calories/Fats/Carbs/Protein I'm eating. On this current meal plan, doing SS three times a week, I lose approximatly anywhere between 0.3 - 0.5kg per week.

There we go, updated everything from meals 1-5. I haven't included my dinner as that will change daily but from meals 1-5, what do you think I can improve on? Obviously my calories are low but once I have my dinner it will be a bit higher (probs 1700 mark atleast).

So from meals 1-5, how is the Carb/Fat/Protein ratio looking, where can I improve etc :)

1. You are not getting in enough fat
2. You are probably not getting in enough calories, depending on dinner size.
3. You do not need to eat so many meals

Guidelines:

0.8g/kg of fat as a minimum to keep up hormone function
2g/kg of protein as a minimum, especially when dieting
Carbs are at your discretion as they are not essential

Thanks for the information mate, I will reshape my diet around that plan. I got my TDE calculated, from various sources and took the average. All the calculators I used say my TDE is 2400-2600, so I'm taking 2500 as the average and eating 500 calories under in order to lose approximately 1 pound per week. Here are my goals for my new diet.

Calories: (2000)
Fats: 0.8g/kg (so thats, 0.8 x 79kg = 63.2g
Protein: 2g/kg (160g)
Carbs: Will try various numbers, to see which ones better me the most, trial and error essentially.

Thanks for the information mate, I will reshape my diet around that plan. I got my TDE calculated, from various sources and took the average. All the calculators I used say my TDE is 2400-2600, so I'm taking 2500 as the average and eating 500 calories under in order to lose approximately 1 pound per week. Here are my goals for my new diet.

Calories: (2000)
Fats: 0.8g/kg (so thats, 0.8 x 79kg = 63.2g
Protein: 2g/kg (160g)
Carbs: Will try various numbers, to see which ones better me the most, trial and error essentially.

63.2x 9 calories for fat
160 x 4 calories for protein

That's around 1200 calories

Leaves 800 calories
Or 200 grams carbs

Base your eating structure on your personality and lifestyle. If 6 meals a day makes you feel good and suits you (allows you to not get too hungry, overeat, undereat etc etc) then do that. Same goes for if you wanted 1 meal a day. If eating 5-6 meals is really hard to do then drop the meals frequency to what suits you. Some people eat 1, some 2-4 some 5-8. For you though anything more than 4 may not feel that filling due to the calorie limit.

You can also add some low intensity work to increase your calorie intake if you like more food. Personally I walk on average about 2 hours a day (broken up to suit my life) so that I can take in about 7-800 more calories (I am bigger than you so burn more cals moving my big ass around). This is during a fat loss stage, if I was maintaining or bulking up I would not need as much due to my high calorie needs already. So as you can see I like to eat food, 2700 for me feels low so I add exercise of about 1-1500 calories a day to increase my food intake and keep me sane. Work out what you need. You could also do this by playing sport during breaks at school, and walking/riding to and from school etc etc. Don't make it too hard.

In regards to your weight loss I think you would be better off eating at maintenance levels and just training hard and smart. At your age you will grow well. Unless you are quite fat don't try to get too lean it will come as you don't eat in excess and keep training.

Thanks for the information guys :). I've added onto more to my breakfast and these are my stats so far (without dinner). Onto my breakfast I added one slice of rye bread with avocado with 1 sliced boiled egg on top.

40.4g Of Fat (40.4 x 9 = 363.6 calories)
144g Protein (144 x 4 = 576 calories)
175g Carbs (175 x 4 = 700 calories)

Total Calories: 1640
Calories Left For dinner: 360
Protein left for dinner: Atleast 15g (very easy for me to get)
Carbs Left for dinner: Atleast 25g (very easy for me to get)
Fat Left For Dinner: 25g (This is an area I need to work on, I will see what I can add throughout the day to get my fat total up a bit).

Do you think having a handful of almonds throughout the day will boost up my fat count a bit? I want to leave about 15g, as thats what I will have for dinner roughly.

Base your eating structure on your personality and lifestyle. If 6 meals a day makes you feel good and suits you (allows you to not get too hungry, overeat, undereat etc etc) then do that. Same goes for if you wanted 1 meal a day. If eating 5-6 meals is really hard to do then drop the meals frequency to what suits you. Some people eat 1, some 2-4 some 5-8. For you though anything more than 4 may not feel that filling due to the calorie limit.

You can also add some low intensity work to increase your calorie intake if you like more food. Personally I walk on average about 2 hours a day (broken up to suit my life) so that I can take in about 7-800 more calories (I am bigger than you so burn more cals moving my big ass around). This is during a fat loss stage, if I was maintaining or bulking up I would not need as much due to my high calorie needs already. So as you can see I like to eat food, 2700 for me feels low so I add exercise of about 1-1500 calories a day to increase my food intake and keep me sane. Work out what you need. You could also do this by playing sport during breaks at school, and walking/riding to and from school etc etc. Don't make it too hard.

In regards to your weight loss I think you would be better off eating at maintenance levels and just training hard and smart. At your age you will grow well. Unless you are quite fat don't try to get too lean it will come as you don't eat in excess and keep training.

Thanks for the reply mate :), to be honest 6 meals a day (approximatly 2.5 - 3 hours apart) doesn't leave me longing for food. I feel quite full and since I pre cook some meals, It's no hassle for me to maintain. At school I play "handball" with my mates, its not that physically demanding haha but its something, probs 200 calories for both lunches combined haha. I guess I will just do the trial and error method, see what works for me. If I'm losing too much weight too quickly on this current diet, then I will rearrange it. However, if I'm losing about 0.5kg a week then I'm happy :). I dont want to lose a lot, only about another 4kgs to make me 75kg in total. I'm not a "big" person but there is a bit of unwanted fat that I want to get rid off.

1. You are not getting in enough fat
2. You are probably not getting in enough calories, depending on dinner size.
3. You do not need to eat so many meals

Guidelines:

0.8g/kg of fat as a minimum to keep up hormone function
2g/kg of protein as a minimum, especially when dieting
Carbs are at your discretion as they are not essential
This.

/thread.

And this.

and /thread :D