• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DIET DISCUSSION: Moderation vs Revolution

kaz

iLift
I read a blog recently of a dieter who joined a weightloss forum thinking she'd gain a support group to help with her journey. Then, she posted how good it was to find Mini Chocolate's under 100 calories each and recieved massive backlash over her food choices for dieting. (Understand this is a very large lady).

Her response from the backlash,
My philosophy on eating and life in general is: Everything in moderation. a balanced approach. The point of life isn't to live on a restrictive diet where you deny yourself any sense of pleasure, where some foods are "good" and some foods are "bad". Actually, let me rephrase that. The point of my life isn't to demonize certain foods and live in complete restriction. Perhaps this works for some people. Maybe some people don't have the control to eat moderate amounts of certain "trigger" foods and therefore avoid them entirely.

• What makes you stick to certain food choices in your diet?
  • Do you allow moderation of all foods or do revolutionise your diet to keep out anything you may find will later break your diet?
  • Is moderation something worthy of adding in later after a restrictive diet?
  • Should overweight people take into account, that these restrictive foods played a part in thier weight gain to begin with....?

I'm sure everyone will have an opinion, but my take is this:

The human body works in cycles, some days you feel weaker, stronger, more energetic and less emotional than others. The body isn't constant and as such I don't believe your diet should be constant. I like to look at my caloric/alcoholic/macros intake over a 1 week period.

I eat carbs in cycles, drink alcohol in cycles - but one thing that has to remain constant is my commitment to exercise (lifting) and constantly progressing in my exercise.

But I'm only 89kgs, just a few kgs off my target weight.

Most chubbies don't get the fact that they have the ability to manipulate foods/diet to get the desired result. They also don't understand that to make the initial change they need to make massive changes in their life.

I've got family and friends who are not just obese, but grossly obese. One common denominator is the fact that they live in denial. When I hear a chubby saying they want to "eat in moderation" I hear someone saying "I couldn't give a fuck if I die early and I want to lose weight as long as I can still eat anything I want".

One of my dearest friends in life is a 44 year old woman who would weigh around 160/170kgs. At dinner the other day she commented that the reflux she has been having lately is "genetic". lol, its cause of all the fat pushing on her stomach/digestive system.

It's sad kaz that the lady copped shit, but maybe she needed to. "Moderation of foods" is not only ok, but the best way to get desired results.

The problem with chubbies is that they don't have the emotional and mental strength to eat in moderation because they have habitually overeaten for years to get in their current state.