• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diabetic Workout

Daniel.308

Hey guys

Well I am going to be buying my home gym setup hopefully this Monday (power rack, Olympic bar, bumper plates etc.)...

The reason for the move from a commercial gym that I am currently going to is;

1. I will avoid fuck heads
2. I can train at the times I want (I train late at night as there's less chance of a guy doing curls in the rack)
3. I want to get my dad into it...

Okay well the question is what sort of workout plan my dad should be doing...
Some more information about him:
Stats;
50yrs Old
179cm
87-90kg

He has been diagnosed with diabetes for 5yrs now and has not really done much about it... He joined a gym once and was told to run on the treadmill by a personal trainer - it resulted in him being quite ugly skinny... He then stopped as he was sick of running... Then as soon as he stopped he started getting a gut (which he never had before he started the gym), his legs went all weak looking, shoulders used to be pretty damn big and I think he is getting smaller and loosing muscle size by the day...

He comes from a working generation and the guy is quite a unit when it comes to physical labour work...

He used to be a labourer when he got diagnosed with diabetes - though he used to eat heaps due to the work he was doing but I think it is hereditary which is why he got it...

I am fixing up his diet as it is pretty poor, some of his issues are;
No breakfast, thinks he can’t eat anything as his sugar will go up so he starves himself, he drinks a shit load of coffee (culture) and drinks occasionally (culture) etc.

So I know of all the benefits of lifting weights etc one of the main benefits for a diabetic is increased insulin sensitivity which is good...

I was just thinking of what sort of workout he should be doing... I was thinking kettlebell complexes, deadlifts, squats, bench, in some sort of circuit???

All help appreciated, also let me know of any useful equipment I need to get as I am doing my order on Monday :)

Thanks!

If he has no injuries you could try easing him back into it and just squat, bench and deadlift. One excercise per workout. See how he goes, if he is keen, add in some more exercises and maybe some conditioning if he seems to be enjoying it! :)

So I know of all the benefits of lifting weights etc one of the main benefits for a diabetic is increased insulin sensitivity which is good...

Right start.

He joined a gym once and was told to run on the treadmill by a personal trainer

And that is why you do not get to a personal trainer with a medical condition, or pretty much for anything :D

It really depends on what he wants and likes. You may find he really likes to lift or he may like complexes etc because he is good at it (labourers would most likely be better than as lazy asses) and it is challenging. You have to work around his personality, likes, dislikes etc.

It is for his health so benching/squatting/deadlifting a ton a lot is not really so important. Though I would not say not to do them just maybe you may have to work at it. Strongman stuff may interest him as well as a few heavy sets of squatting and deadlifting etc. Kettlebells and barbell complexes may also interest him. Try to make them beatable goals such as I try and do as many DB snatches in 15 minutes. Once I hit 200 I go up to a higher weight. It is always a challenge to do better each day I do it. Or it could be to do 100 reps in the fastest time possible. Once it is down to 8 minutes you add in another set etc etc.

I think he'll enjoy lifting weights in general... I am not too sure about getting him right into the squat as I think he has poor flexibility...

What about circuits of compound movements?

I"ll be intrested in what markos recommends as from the videos I have seen they do kb complexes...

Or as noobs said maybe just basic compounds with 1-2 min rest?

I have a treadmill in my garage lol should I even encourage him to use it?

He is a big and i mean BIG fan of the lat pulldown haha when he was young apparently that's all he and his mates did (chin up bar)...

Keep the suggestions coming...

Also what weight kettlebells should I be looking at?

Cheers

Last edited:
Your dad doesn't need to do anything special because of his diabetes. A combination of moderate weight resistance training and some steady-state cardio like walking will have a huge effect on his health and won't turn him off exercise.

Pick exercises that work large muscle groups like -- squat, leg-press, lunge, chin-up, bent rows, pull-downs, bench, pushups, military press --. He doesn't need kettlebells or anything fancy unless he eventually gets bored. Don't waste money early.
Keep the reps 8 and up, and rest periods down. 2 or 3 sessions a week.

Don't push him too hard, too soon and he'll enjoy himself and keep doing it.

Get him walking 3 days a week to begin with for 30 minutes or so, then eventually stretch that out to an hour 4 or 5 days a week.

Again, the most important thing is to start him out slow - he's got diabetes now and you wont cure him in a week, but you might turn him off exercise altogether if you push him too hard too soon.