• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Dexa scan - Recommended calories

Undercover

Kunce in training
I understand when you have a dexa scan some places will give you a target range (calories) based on your scan.

Has anybody done this and used their recommendation?

Not worth it? BS?

Thinking of having one for the first time, more for a base referance and BF% reading but was interested in their claim for an ideal calorie intake for fat loss. (I'm looking to reduce BF and weight).

I heard varying results from absurd to smack on, I for one cant justify spending $200 on getting a scan down ( Perth ). just using the old myfitnesspal app.

Got one done at bodyscan in Melbourne. $200 for 3 scans. I was also able to claim back $100 on private health insurance as it is a bone density scan, which is covered under my preventative testing extras.

I've had one, but it will be become useful when I get the second test. I've lost about 5kg and plan to lose another 5kg, so I'm keen to see how much was fat and how much was lean tissue.

I was asking exactly the same a while back, and researched how it calculates it etc. In the end, I used the DEXA value and added a touch more (I also adjusted it up further for workout days). Once you get going though, you just use trial and error to adjust it to the right level, depending on how you're tracking towards your goals (too fast, too slow etc). My thoughts on it here.

[MENTION=12407]Undercover[/MENTION]; do you really need one?

I've thought about getting Dexa's many times but then realise who cares what BF I am. What matter's is how I look?

[MENTION=12407]Undercover[/MENTION]; do you really need one?

I've thought about getting Dexa's many times but then realise who cares what BF I am. What matter's is how I look?

Probably not. But don't see the harm in getting one done. Would be for free anyway.

Kinda like getting a dyno on my V8. Don't need to but like having the print out.

I found mine were pretty spot on. Done at Measure Up Sydney

Same... I followed kaz and others to measure up...

The calorie counts proved to be spot on...... Eating at the calorie count from my dexa proved to be very effective...

Same... I followed kaz and others to measure up...

The calorie counts proved to be spot on...... Eating at the calorie count from my dexa proved to be very effective...

Im booking in to get mine re done, I should have taken Jarrod's advice 18th months ago and stuck to the macros he set me.

Would be good to compare though, I never touched a weight before i saw him

If its gonna be free why not just get it done and then give it a go and see if the recommended cals work for you, your not really losing anything except maybe some time to reach your goals if things dont work out for you?

If its gonna be free why not just get it done and then give it a go and see if the recommended cals work for you, your not really losing anything except maybe some time to reach your goals if things dont work out for you?

Booked it today, in a few weeks. Will be interested in the consult and recommendations they give me. Currently on about 2000-2200, trying to drop 10kg from 100 to 90.