• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Derek Boyer retires!

jonnie_sfw

For those who didn't know Derek "Thunder" Boyer has retired from strength events....a true gentleman of the sport and amazing lifter.

Derek Boyer's official Retirement Statement

I Derek Boyer 2010 Australia’s strongest man would like to officially indicate to the World
Strongest Man community that I have retired from professional strongman competition both
nationally and internationally.

It has been a great privilege and honor to have competed against the World’s strongest men of the modern era.

As a young man growing up in a small country city in Australia I had seen on TV Huge giants from Scandinavia testing their strength against unbelievable obstacles in exotic locations around the world. I believed I could shine in this environment and wanted to take my place amongst them. In 1996 I was invited to Calendar by Dr Douglas Edmonds to compete in a trial for W.S.M. I placed 8th and 3rd in the next event at Killen to secure a position in the 1996 W.S.M in Mauritius.

I then went on to compete in 7 W.S.M Championships and numerous Strongman Grand prix all over the world stretching over a 14 year period.

I am proud of being the First Australian to be a finalist in W.S.M., beating the number one
ranked strongman in the world in 1997 Riku Kiri, to be considered one of the top 10 strongest men on the planet, And I did this drug free.

In Australian strongman competition I have beaten all comers since 1997 to be undefeated in all strongman and Powerlifting events with highest totals and placings to the present day. This made me the legitimate titleholder of AUSTRALIA’S STRONGEST MAN. This I’m most Proud of and will treasure to the end of my days.’

I have achieved a number of Guinness world records and a couple of World strongman records over this period and will continue on, challenging myself to better specific records well into my 40’s and 50’s.

The sport of Strongman has given me so much and it has given me an International identity that is now crossing over into the T.V. and movie industries.

I have made great friendships with kindred spirits, brothers that challenged and pushed me to new limits creating a belief that you can achieve anything in any environment.
This sport has also allowed me to travel at the promoter’s expense to distant and exotic countries all over the World where I have found great adventure ,learning and to all the girls in exotic lands I kissed along the way thanks it was fun.

My legacy is this:

I BELIEVE STRONGMAN IS FOR ALL MEN, NOT JUST AN ELETE FEW.
I BELIEVE IT IS CRITICAL TO CHALLENGE OURSELVES EVERY DAY TO THE ABSOLUTE END.
NO MATTER WHO ORWHERE YOU ARE…

I would like to make a special thank you to BILL LYNDON who got me into Strongman and has supported me along the way. Also special thanks go to Dr Douglas Edmonds, Illka Kinnunen, Jamie Reeves and Paul Olh.

At 41 I have presented a recent picture of my new challenge, I have recently been crowned
Australian Sumo heavyweight champion and have qualified for the world championships in
Poland in Oct.

I am now heavily involved in the Movie Industry and looking for featured roles in Major
Productions; I have recently finished on a film shoot in Australia called SINBAD AND THE
MINOTAUR.

I have also taken up Powerlifting for fun and posted the biggest raw total in Australia with an 880 kg total with a lot more to come. From here I will pick and choose Singular Strength Events to concentrate on as did the Olden day Strongmen, embracing the motto…

FOREVER STRONG!

THE ISLAND WARRIOR
Derek Boyer

He will be missed in the Strongman circles I'm sure, but I'm very happy to see him in Powerlifting and a bit of a movie career to boot. The Sumo bit sounds interesting aswell.

He was a true class act at Nationals.

'i did this drug free'... now im not taking anything away from him, an excellent athlete. but i dont know about being drug free for his entire life. much like nfl pro players who are "100% natural" because they jumped on the gear in their earlier years.

mate you obviously got no idea!!!

theres always someone who has to go and say something like that. why cant you just appreciate him for the amazing lifter he was!!

And still is!
I hope he comes to big bench. He is always a pleasure to watch.
Posted via Mobile Device

You know something we don't, Totalstrength?
Anyone who says they are drug free automatically raises suspicion they
could be on something. I dont have a problem with people taking anything
but just be honest. But I do have a problem with people saying they are not
on it when they are.

Last edited:
Anyone who says they are drug free automatically raises suspicion they
could be on something. I dont have a problem with people taking anything
but just be honest. But I do have a problem with people saying they are not
on it when they are.

yea i agree with that. no doubt his achievements are incredible and thouroughly deserve all the applause. but yea, for 1999 he could have been drug free, but what about the rest of the years? me and a mate whos known him for a few years now said the same thing. wont go into any more.

strongman is a thoroughly brutilising sport. anyone who competes top level and conquers would have to be very very gifted to do it naturally......

How sad that a mans character is dragged down on a forum by people who have achieved nothing compared to him, and none would have the courage to say anything to his face.

One of the nicest individuals I have sat with, didnt have a bad word to say about anyone he has ever competed against, only to have piss ants discuss what they think he does when he's alone.

Great work fellas, I hope you get a chance to meet him and tell him to his face what you think.

Shame on all of you for passing judgment on an individual none of you know.

How sad that a mans character is dragged down on a forum by people who have achieved nothing compared to him, and none would have the courage to say anything to his face.

One of the nicest individuals I have sat with, didnt have a bad word to say about anyone he has ever competed against, only to have piss ants discuss what they think he does when he's alone.

Great work fellas, I hope you get a chance to meet him and tell him to his face what you think.

Shame on all of you for passing judgment on an individual none of you know.

how would i be passing judgement on him? How would his character be drawn down if he has actually done any chemical assistance? there is nothing wrong with that. I think we are all actually trying to understand how he achieved his many accolades. Say for example he has been clean forever. imo he would be a better idol than arnie considering the amount he was chucking down. someone to aspire to. but if he is not, then its a bit hard to idolise him so much if i have a greater priority to stay clean. like i said, it doesnt detract any value from his achievements.

also, people who do get well known and famous for things they do should in fact expect people, not to pass judgement, but expect people to want to understand them better as a human. how they got there etc. isnt that why there are biographies and people buy them? cos they are interested in the individual and how they got there. another example is the 'ask max' thread on ns.com and your journals about him going to the wpc titles. There lies your own recognition regarding peoples interest in how certain people got to where they are. The methods they used etc

There experiences etc. Its not about naming and shaming. its about learning how to get strong as. if boyer is clean as it would give me 100% confidence to know that i could get as strong as him without touching the gear (as he would most definitely be one of the strongest guys in aus). but if he is on the gear or was, watever, it would contribute to my theory that it is harder and almost impossible to be as strong as people who are using properly. This, once again wouldnt detract his achievements but would show he did what was needed to get the job done. and if i had to mentally prepare myself that one day to get strong as i can i would need to use, then i would rather know now then later.

Last edited:
I've never seen him compete but Matt van Beuningen got him to come to the local show a couple of years ago to put on a strongman demonstration. They had some lifters and people from the general public trying the sledgehammer crucifix hold. When it was Derek's turn he did it easily while singing Waltzing Matilda at the top of his lungs.

It was good to see such a great athlete visit a small town and have fun with it. He was willing to talk to anyone who wanted a chat and hopefully left an impression with the kids encouraging them to be active away from the playstation.

Legal attorney, stop back pedalling, what you said was disgraceful, I hope you get a chance to simply repeat what you wrote to his face.

Maybe Frank Manning can arrange it and film it.

'i did this drug free'... now im not taking anything away from him, an excellent athlete. but i dont know about being drug free for his entire life. much like nfl pro players who are "100% natural" because they jumped on the gear in their earlier years.

Nice work here

yea i agree with that. no doubt his achievements are incredible and thouroughly deserve all the applause. but yea, for 1999 he could have been drug free, but what about the rest of the years? me and a mate whos known him for a few years now said the same thing. wont go into any more.

strongman is a thoroughly brutilising sport. anyone who competes top level and conquers would have to be very very gifted to do it naturally......

Take your mate with you