• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

JimJam

I'm defiantly a newbie to squats deads etc, so some guidance is much appreciated
is going deep important?

I mean going past parallel, lately I've been trying to get real deep but its difficult to get back up with higher weights. have found I need to drop my weight by about 10-15kgs to get real low.

should I keep working my way up from as low as i can go, or just focus on higher weights and only going to parallel?

is there any advantage to squatting real deep or is the movement past parallel a waste?

everywhere I read it seems to be, parallel or slightly lower but I figure this is because thats the required depth for comps?

Cheers

I'm defiantly a newbie to squats deads etc, so some guidance is much appreciated
is going deep important?

I mean going past parallel, lately I've been trying to get real deep but its difficult to get back up with higher weights. have found I need to drop my weight by about 10-15kgs to get real low.

should I keep working my way up from as low as i can go, or just focus on higher weights and only going to parallel?

is there any advantage to squatting real deep or is the movement past parallel a waste?

everywhere I read it seems to be, parallel or slightly lower but I figure this is because thats the required depth for comps?

Cheers

Deeper squats activate more muscle fibres particularly in your posterior chain, they also make you strong, manly and cure cancer.

Also I am willing to bet money that what you consider parallel is actually far from it.

Grow balls, squat deep, be awesome.

Deeper squats activate more muscle fibres particularly in your posterior chain, they also make you strong, manly and cure cancer.

Also I am willing to bet money that what you consider parallel is actually far from it.

Couldn't have said it any better.

haha cheers for that.
its the curing of cancer bit that's really selling it for me

what I've been doing is moving the safey catches down and trying to get deep and tap the bar on them before driving up,
just as a way of having a target to get down to, and then moving it lower for the next session

Last edited:
form is the most important. and of course flexibility.

i find i need to spread my legs further apart the deeper i squat. i.e. further than shoulder width.

This..

Should be stickied.

By mark himself
There is simply no other exercise, and certainly no machine, that produces the level of central nervous system activity, improved balance and coordination, skeletal loading and bone density enhancement, muscular stimulation and growth, connective tissue stress and strength, psychological demand and toughness, and overall systemic conditioning than the correctly performed full squat.

Go deep. No adding of weight until you can go to a depth where the top crease between your hip and leg goes below your kneecap.

If you've flexibility issues, practice goblet squats. In the goblet squat, you stand with your feet a bit wider than hip-width apart, feet turned out around 30 degrees, put your hands together at your chest like you're holding a goblet (thus the name), elbows forward and out, and squat down until the tips of your elbows touch the inside of your knee. Like this guy,

2:20:1006:53:04PM.jpg

However, your hands should be closer to your chest than he's got it. And the elbows don't have to be so low - but there's a lot of variation in it, depends on individual flexibility, relative length of arms and legs, etc.

The important things with the goblet squat,
  • weight through heels
  • elbows push knees out
  • chest up! - that's why the hands should be close to the chest, to cue bringing it up, thus making the back straight
  • Press up out of the bottom of the squat keeping your chest up and using just your hips to get up, ie not leaning forward and pushing your hands on your knees.
You may find you can't do all that and go deep. That's okay, go as deep as you can without the leaning forward happening. Practice this, over time you will get comfortably deeper. Then you can hold a dumbbell or kettlebell as you squat up and down. When you can comfortably hold a 15kg dumbbell while doing a goblet squat, you should be able to achieve the same depth in a conventional back squat with the 20kg bar.

I'd love to say something....but everything good has already been said.

That's very, very, very good thinking about gradually lowering the pins in yr rack. Well done.

As others have said, is that depth builds bigger muscles, makes you cooler and more attractive......as well as.....well....gravity....it's the law.

in the sense that if you pause just before the deepest you can go you'll probably find it harder on the way up than if you simply go as deep as possible then power straight back up ..

Dont you get some sort of bounce from the bottom?

Possibly true at lighter weights but I think if I bounced at the bottom of a heavy squat I'd tear the shit out of my glutes and hams.

Yeh my max is only 150kg but i've found that pausing on the bottom when doing lower weights like 120/130 has helped when I sort of bounce from the bottom with the heavier.. i'm probably doing it wrong..

I've watched your vids. they're quite impressive.. at what weight would you recommend using a belt? I've always thought using nothing at all just because i havent wanted to shell out for extra stuff but perhaps a belt makes sense when you get to certain weights?

Possibly true at lighter weights but I think if I bounced at the bottom of a heavy squat I'd tear the shit out of my glutes and hams.

Don't forget to post said video when this happens. It would be a good educational tool...

i can see what jon is saying, i use the 'rebound' technique to my advantage too. when i force myself to stop higher (cutting depth) i don't seem to be as explosive from the bottom.

i think this is more applicable to high bar olympic squats.