• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Debate over dangers of bodybuilding resurfaces after images of deceased bodybuilder A

I am assuming those that are saying Bodybuilding is dangerous on a competitive level are talking about competing in the untested feds such as IFBB and NABBA, surely you are not referring to natural competitive bodybuilding....

A while back there was an elitefts article that pointed out that risk vs activity level was a U-shaped curve. Very sedentary people have a high risk of illness and injury, and very active people have a high risk too, they just get different problems.

It's not healthy to be 5% bodyfat. It's not healthy to run a sub-3hr marathon. It's not healthy to bench press 250kg. At least not doing these things over years, anyway. It's not healthy to sit on the couch drinking beer and watching the footy for 30 years. It's not healthy to work 80 hours a week and be engaged in insider trading to get wealthy. Extremes aren't healthy... BUT some people enjoy them. I don't have a problem with someone smoking and drinking for 20 years, or pumping steroids and getting to ridiculously low bodyfat, and then dying horribly - so long as this choice was an informed choice. But too often, they get into it without realising the consequences, and by the time they know the risks they're thoroughly committed, it's too late. And that seems a pity.

The lowest risk lies in the sensible middle ground. This is why we have things like deloads in lifting, and why it's good for lifters to do some cardio, and runners to do some lifting, and the lifter to do some reading, and why it's good for all of us put some thought to our families and society in general. I've got a duty to my family to be as healthy as I can be. And to society, too - in Australia we have a public healthcare system, if I fuck myself up, everyone else has to pay for it. Things will happen, and you've got to die of something - but we can minimise the risks, I think.

A while back there was an elitefts article that pointed out that risk vs activity level was a U-shaped curve. Very sedentary people have a high risk of illness and injury, and very active people have a high risk too, they just get different problems.

It's not healthy to be 5% bodyfat. It's not healthy to run a sub-3hr marathon. It's not healthy to bench press 250kg. At least not doing these things over years, anyway. It's not healthy to sit on the couch drinking beer and watching the footy for 30 years. It's not healthy to work 80 hours a week and be engaged in insider trading to get wealthy. Extremes aren't healthy... BUT some people enjoy them. I don't have a problem with someone smoking and drinking for 20 years, or pumping steroids and getting to ridiculously low bodyfat, and then dying horribly - so long as this choice was an informed choice. But too often, they get into it without realising the consequences, and by the time they know the risks they're thoroughly committed, it's too late. And that seems a pity.

The lowest risk lies in the sensible middle ground. This is why we have things like deloads in lifting, and why it's good for lifters to do some cardio, and runners to do some lifting, and the lifter to do some reading, and why it's good for all of us put some thought to our families and society in general. I've got a duty to my family to be as healthy as I can be. And to society, too - in Australia we have a public healthcare system, if I fuck myself up, everyone else has to pay for it. Things will happen, and you've got to die of something - but we can minimise the risks, I think.

Nice.

We aren't insects, insects specialize in one or two things.

What would that be..? Laying lavae with the grace of a russian ballerina, and foraging?

But of course in saying this neither do you wanna be an 'expert' at everything, but master of none..

I don't think it's wrong to go to extremes. If that's how you want to spend your life, good luck to you. But extremes do have risks, and you should inform yourself of these risks before you get into it.