• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift/Squat comparo

Even though these 2 lifts use basically the same muscles, some things that could influence the weight used for each lift might be;

1. Bar position. Where the bar travels compared to the plane of the body, this changes the body's leverage. Given the bar follows a slightly different path for each lift, this may have an impact.

2. Starting position. Given the different starting positions this may also have an impact.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Markos already mentioned leverages and how they can influence the lifts.

What are your lifts / percentages shame?

What are your lifts / percentages shame?
Don't know my 1RM's, not something I train for. Best recent lifts are:

Squat 190kg x 7
Deads 180kg x 4

Only just brought deads back in to my training early September, hadn't done them since June/July 2008.

No comparison can be done with upper body to lower body.

The squat and deadlift basicly uses the same muscles.

Thats what i thought you were referring to, in your firts post you made the commment on the order 1000lb was reached, and thought you had a view on that..or is it as you list in your strength standards
dead 2.5
squat 2
bench 1.5

Don't know my 1RM's, not something I train for. Best recent lifts are:

Squat 190kg x 7
Deads 180kg x 4

Only just brought deads back in to my training early September, hadn't done them since June/July 2008.

Impressive squats.

Currently getting some strength down through the Starting Strength program, but my squats are heavier then my deadlift due to starting weights :(
Squat: 100x5
Deadlift 90x5

Last edited:
Currently getting some strength down through the Starting Strength program, but my squats are heavier then my deadlift due to starting weights :(
Squat: 100x5
Deadlift 90x5

Very much the same for me...

Squat - 110kg x 7
Deadlift - 100kg x4

An observation I have made from experience is that sometimes this is due to squat depth being shallow. You cant fudge deadlift performance, but squat depth is the most varied lift of all.

If your unsure about depth, squat to a milk crate, thats 30cm high, close enough to parallel for every lifter.

we use a 29cm box, the gym record is 200kg, thats with a dead stop on the box.

Americans claim for every inch you squat high, thats 40lbs extra weight you can squat. Not sure how they came up with this, its a powerlifting measurement.

Check your depth before you compare. The reason I say this is I had a 17yo boy pull 130kg first time he ever attempted the lift, he is nowhere near a 100kg squat.

An observation I have made from experience is that sometimes this is due to squat depth being shallow. You cant fudge deadlift performance, but squat depth is the most varied lift of all.

If your unsure about depth, squat to a milk crate, thats 30cm high, close enough to parallel for every lifter.
Cool, thanks for that, I try each rep to get my thighs as close to parallel to the ground as I can, but I'm possibly stopping too early then. Will attempt again with milk crate, cheers!

i wish i had started by squatting to a milk crate. i have developed shocking form, i stop when my ass hits my calves which sounds great but i realise now this is causing my hip flexor pain and when i saw video massive rounding in my back.

easy enough to fix i just wish i hadn't fallen forward with 140kg on my shoulders :(

i did box squats the other day and my glutes/hams are fried.

bit of a rant but just a heads up don't be so quick to get ass to ground squats happening for a lot of people it will take time to develop the glute/ham and even calf flexibility to squat low properly.

just my personal painful experience!

I'm a very big fan of box squats, teaches you to use the correct muscles for sure, as your glutes and hams found out Gilly.

Max squatted 170kg tonight so his ratio is now 85%...170/200

squat 90kg 1rep max (tested in Novemeber 2009)
deadlift 140kg 1rep max (tested in June 2009 probably weaker now ???)

I have big issues with my knees and find deadlifting puts less stress on them.

that's because a deadlift is only the equivalent of a partial squat, do a deadlift from the side and have a look how much your legs move.

Personally, I've got long arms, so, in the starting position with my bum down and knees bent, it really isn't that much of a leg workout. More back.

PTC how does the 200kg box squat record compare to the same persons best 1rm squat with out the Box?