• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift programing.

DREADLIFT

Apologies if there is a thread addressing this, search function wont work on my phone.

What would be the most effective programming for my deadlift.

Have had a 3 month hiatus from deads, been doing powercleans to sub.

Second week back pulling, 200kgs for doubles at the moment, with a pb of 240 prior to injury. Deadlifting once a week.

5/3/1 seems a bit too slow for the moment with its 2.5-5kg progress every 4 weeks.

I would need to see a video of your deadlift to be able to give a decent recommendation. The force curve is very important for prescribing sets and reps

alright cool
I can still give recommendations on volume though
You're on 5/3/1 before, this is not much volume at all at a higher intensity and lots of volume at a low intensity. If you did BBB then your volume is 80 lifts a week with an average intensity of 65%. You'll probably want to bring that up to 70-75% and drop the volume somewhat. Working up to 4x3x75% followed by working back up to 4x3x85% from boxes would work well for example. But if you had good speed from the floor but lacked the ability to grind through a rep I would do something like 4x3x65% deficit deadlift followed by 3x2x90% deadlift from a 4" box. I don't like doing reps for deadlift personally so I find it's best to learn to grind through exercises that force you to grind through the lift to get the bar going. For assistance exercises I would do high bar paused squats for a full ROM on your squat day and something light on the deadlift day like kettlebell swings

Hope this helps

For most, especially at this level, there is only one real secret to improving your deadlift.

Wait for it......

... Hard and heavy deadlifts.

There is just no way around it.

Loads of 5's.

If y9our 200x2's were hard, start at 150kg.... 5x5. Add 5kg per session. Do this for as long as you can.

Once you start missing reps, drop into triples.

Once you start missing triples, do 2 weeks of doubles.

Then retest.

There is no secret to building deadlifts for now.... Just make them heavy 5's and you will get stronger.

Im uploading a video right now that builds great deadlifts.

Any guy that cant pull 200kg does these weekly.

It serves 2 purposes...... Ill let you guys figure them out.

Tara has 40kg , Matt has 64kg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8smycpgdM18]PTC Brisbane - Tara and Matt building their deadlift - YouTube[/ame]

You dont need heavier.... trust me.

We will get the 80kg, but only because we have guys going 50+ now.

Well, I went most of the first half of this year without deadlifting. I returned to deadlifting about 6-8 weeks ago, and am now pulling DOH what I used to need a mixed grip for. All I've been doing with the deadlift itself is working up to a heavy single on Wednesdays. Just do 1x60kg, then keep adding weight at roughly 20kg a pop until I lift slightly more than what I did the previous week.

But in my time off from deadlifting, I did a lot of olympic lift variants, and in the 6 weeks leading up to my return to deadlifting I also did farmer's walks twice a week, which I suspect are what gave me the grip strength to be able to DOH previous mixed grip numbers.

You dont need heavier.... trust me.

We will get the 80kg, but only because we have guys going 50+ now.

I have a home made one and did a pretty easy 20 reps with 110 the first time. Then loaded up 150 and did 10 but it was too akward.

Doing more than 20 reps doesn't interest me in the slightest and I would guess the weight is getting too light to help me my dead if i can do more than 20 anyway.

What do I pull? Next to nothing :p I did 142.5kg last week. I opted for heavy (by my standards) high pulls the other day instead, so I haven't done any this week. Next week I intend to go for 145kg, and just keep cracking the weight up a tiny bit at a time each week.
Im uploading a video right now that builds great deadlifts.

Any guy that cant pull 200kg does these weekly.

It serves 2 purposes...... Ill let you guys figure them out.
Grip strength, increased ROM at the hip for more glutes, hammies and lower back, and getting a shit-tonne of practice all seem like candidates to me. Am I warm?

I've been doing these, I got back to the gym after Brisbane and they had some lovely new kettlebells waiting for me!!! Only up to 20kg though, which is a shame. So I just go for a larger ROM and more reps. Second session doing them and I did 30 reps, starting light and shooting for 10 more each time

Benefits are increased work capacity, mental toughness and as a lower back builder I would say... although my QUADS were fried after these. yep

UDLs a regular addition to our training....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojEtQNhEI0I&list=UU7Z0G6anSBXW030fkmbn1wQ&index=12&feature=plcp]Paul UDLs - 80kg x 21 - YouTube[/ame]

I have a home made one and did a pretty easy 20 reps with 110 the first time. Then loaded up 150 and did 10 but it was too akward.

Doing more than 20 reps doesn't interest me in the slightest and I would guess the weight is getting too light to help me my dead if i can do more than 20 anyway.

Something I've learned recently is that going ultra high reps in exercises does something funny to a man. Try curling an empty bar for as many reps as possible and you will find out sure enough, my record is 50 and my arms are growing surprisingly well. I do max reps with 10kg dumbbells on the french press also which works well

What do I pull? Next to nothing :p I did 142.5kg last week. I opted for heavy (by my standards) high pulls the other day instead, so I haven't done any this week. Next week I intend to go for 145kg, and just keep cracking the weight up a tiny bit at a time each week.

Grip strength, increased ROM at the hip for more glutes, hammies and lower back, and getting a shit-tonne of practice all seem like candidates to me. Am I warm?

Its conditioning when in the high rep range :p