• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift - leg day or back day?

Jarefied

Hey guys,

Do you deadlift on leg or back day?

Also ive heard that the big compound exercises create alot of testosterone, so is it viable to do deadlift seperate to legs or back and maybe do on arms day to get more testosterone pumping for bigger guns????

After a while of doing it, you wont be able to put in 100% effort on both exercises if you put them on the same day, it's too taxing.

Squat on leg and dead on back day.

I do them seperate but there's a whole other camp that put them together. Depends how much workload on a given day you can handle.

After a while of doing it, you wont be able to put in 100% effort on both exercises if you put them on the same day, it's too taxing.

Squat on leg and dead on back day.

Its very hard to Dead at 100% intensity if you are doing it on the same day as, and after, squats. As Morgan said, split em up.

As a general rule, avoiding heavy deadlifts and squats in the same workout. Heavy as in intensty of 85% and above.

Deadlift at the start of your workout. The same goes for squatting.

i recently deadlifted after squats, bad idea. Also please don't devote a day to "arms", waste of time.

Deadlifts are both a leg and a back exercise. This is one of the many problems with split routines, compound exercises often don't fit into neat categories like that.

A person asking a question like this is not going to have a 200kg deadlift and 160kg squat, so it's quite alright for them to squat and deadlift in the same workout.

I sense, Jarefied, that you are currently creating your own workout routine. Don't. Follow an established routine an experienced person has come up with.

Someone older and wiser suggested I should consider pressing first.

Pressing with a fresh back is a lot safer, I didn't fully understand this until I tried it.

Deadlifts are both a leg and a back exercise. This is one of the many problems with split routines, compound exercises often don't fit into neat categories like that.

A person asking a question like this is not going to have a 200kg deadlift and 160kg squat, so it's quite alright for them to squat and deadlift in the same workout.

I sense, Jarefied, that you are currently creating your own workout routine. Don't. Follow an established routine an experienced person has come up with.

This.

He hasn't posted any lifts anywhere but he seems like being fairly new to weights so a split is probably not going to be the way to go.

hasn't posted any lifts anywhere but he seems like being fairly new
Well, like I said. People who bench 2 plates a side, squat 3 and deadlift 4 don't ask questions like this. Either they have a coach or trainer who got them that far and they ask them, or else they got there all by themselves so they must know what they're doing.

Only beginners ask about splits and sets and reps and intensity and whether to put shoulders with back day and which exercise in Starting Strength works teh abz and things like that. And it's okay to be a beginner - great, in fact, the gains you can get then are enormous and fun.

But the apprentice chef should not be making their own recipes on their first day in the kitchen. Beginning weight trainers should follow an established routine, and/or have a trainer, coach or experienced training partner to help them.

Seriously, Jarefied, follow one of the beginner routines here. Or buy Starting Strength, or whatever. Just pick a full-body routine, do it a few times a week, eat good food and rest well, and in every session do more weight, or more reps, or more sets than you did before. It's really not that complicated. The bros out there try to make it complicated so they can sell you stuff.

Someone older and wiser suggested I should consider pressing first.

Pressing with a fresh back is a lot safer, I didn't fully understand this until I tried it.

I'm no expert, however from my training deadlifting after pressing is much better. The times i'v tried to bench/military press after deadlifts, it was just simply shit.

Depends. If you're deadlifting for reps as well as squatting for reps (ie: >8), you can lump them together. Generally means you're not lifting as much.

I wouldn't though.

I would always put squats and deads on a separate day. Deads usually on a day i'll work my back (deads, chinups, shrugs and rows). Let me know how your traps are the following day :D

Cheers, for input guys

Im not comPLETEly new to res training. But ive always trained the on seperate days, was just looking too see what other people do/recommend.

No go on the compound exercise with an arms day? or just scrap arms day and put it with chest and back?

I agree with Kyle that as a beginner (which according to Markos "You are a beginner if you cant bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg") there is no problem doing a full body workout on the same day. Check out the beginner powerlifting thread and you'll see Markos' program.

The starting Strength Program suggests Squatting, then Bench Pressing, then Deadlifting, waiting 2 days and then Squating, O'head Pressing, and Powercleans.

The assumption is that once you start lifting heavier weights, you won't be able to do it all justice in one session, and you will take longer to recover, and will have to split it up, but until then don't worry so much.

Anyway, I'm a novice and I'm just collating for you what Ive read elsewhere on here, but I had no trouble increasing my working set's weights squatting, benching & DL'ing yesterday. Chins at the end were tough though :(

Cheers, for input guys

Im not comPLETEly new to res training. But ive always trained the on seperate days, was just looking too see what other people do/recommend.

No go on the compound exercise with an arms day? or just scrap arms day and put it with chest and back?

I shit you not - do an 'arm' day and you will go backwards
For splits it's normally chest/shoulders/tris then back/bis then a dedicated lower body/ab day