• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DeadLift: Hitting the right muscles

skywalker21

Ok so to begin with Im a beginner to the DL & i can do 120kg for 3 reps which is not much but its a start.

I have read up on the DL, watched Youtube vids etc etc but it still sometimes feel when i do the lift that i am sometimes doing it with bad form (I do position my correctly)

When i position my self I roll back on the heels or lean back so my shoulders are equal/behind the bar, stick ass and chest out-Lift. Because when i do this I feel asthough my upper back is rounding, no soreness bur form does not feel correct. Pushing through the heels makes legs wobble slightly also.

When you guys do DL what muscles do you feel the fire in the most ? Perhaps I could handle more weight to feel it more.

Last edited:
1. Bar approx. mid-foot
2. Scapula over the bar
3. Sit back as you drive through the heels, focus on pushing the ground away from the bar.
4. Drive through the hips to straighten up.

Do a vid so we can see your form. You might be going too heavy too fast.

120kg is a good start... I started with 60kg...

I just make sure my spine is curved naturally while I'm doing the deadlift and I deadlift with the bar pretty much scrapping my shins the whole way up...

I just make sure;

Ass out
Chest up
Natrual spine curve

Seems to work for mr along with watching YouTube tutes...

Goodluck.

Ok so to begin with Im a beginner to the DL & i can do 120kg for 3 reps which is not much but its a start.

I have read up on the DL, watched Youtube vids etc etc but it still sometimes feel when i do the lift that i am sometimes doing it with bad form (I do position my correctly)

When i position my self I roll back on the heels or lean back so my shoulders are equal/behind the bar, stick ass and chest out-Lift. Because when i do this I feel asthough my upper back is rounding, no soreness bur form does not feel correct. Pushing through the heels makes legs wobble slightly also.

When you guys do DL what muscles do you feel the fire in the most ? Perhaps I could handle more weight to feel it more.

Skywalker the deadlift is one of the most technical lifts, most people won't get it 100% for quite a while and even always have to be mindful to get it perfect!
Eric Cressey, Mike Robertson, and Mike Boyle have some decent vids on their youtube pages if you want to take a look... there are some on t-nation too.. a worthwile look..
When you say your upper back is rounding it sounds like it is more in regards to your lower rhomboids and traps not being strong enough to maintain the retraction? perhaps your pecs are also too strong and their is an imbalance? are you setting your traps and rhomboids prior to the lift as well as engaging your lats..? Practice makes perfect.. repetition.. that's all it takes.. keep going.. post up some vids if you still are finding problems down the track