• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Deadlift Grip Variations

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Was at PTC Franga today with a few others, and we started talking about different ways you can grip the bar.

With 120kg I tried (pulling conventional) clean grip, hook grip, then mixed grip but with alternating hands (if that makes sense).

Now, normally I pull with my left hand supinated, and the right pronated. With the reps where I swapped over I noticed the bar came up a lot faster and it felt lighter, despite feeling more unco. Is there any reason for this? I'm considering (after tomorrow obviously) swapping my grip over and just making it un-unco.

I know Firas pulls with a hook grip, and Markos made mention of someone at PTC who had trouble controlling the bar (it was swaying) with a mixed grip, tried hook grip and hit a new deadlift PB

I like the feel of the normal overhand grip, I hold the bar with my fingers so it doesn't cut my hands up near as much. Only switch to mixed for the heavier sets (about 180-190kg+).

My double overhand starts feeling slippery at 100kg :(

Using hook grip without any trouble at the moment... deadlift isn't too high though - 130kg x 7 best so far.

I have a slightly controversial take on gripping...

A powerlifter will laugh at the dude who does tricep extensions and looks to the side, knowing the potential issues and imbalances that can be caused by training asymmetrically.

The same powerlifter doesn't bat an eye at 250kg loading with one shoulder internally rotated and the other externally.

Hook grip ftw.

A powerlifter will laugh at the dude who does tricep extensions and looks to the side, knowing the potential issues and imbalances that can be caused by training asymmetrically.

The same powerlifter doesn't bat an eye at 250kg loading with one shoulder internally rotated and the other externally.

Hook grip ftw.
makes sense to me.

i like a mixed grip though

Hook grip ftw.
I see your point here, but when we're talking about deadlifts, how much of that training is targeting the shoulder?

He's not talking about training the shoulder.
Just you becoming unbalanced due you your forearms being rotated in an opposing manner.

Anyway. my main question was really "For mixed grip, which hand should be supinated? Your stronger or weaker". As I said in the OP, I feel comfortable one way but the weight felt lighter the other. Any reason or just luck?

Alternate between each set when training, use your strongest on the day of competition.

The main function of the bicep is to supinate the hand- the arm fully extended with the hand supinated makes the bicep vulnerable.

In my view the mixed grip might keep the bar stable, but at the end of the arms are just a small factor.

i use normal overhand until 140kg.
then i use a mixed grip, alternating bewtween sets.

also feel uncomfortable when my left hand is supinated. feel stronger the other way, though i think its a mental thing...

never tried a hook grip...cant see me getting past 140-150 with that grip, same as normal grip...

180 last friday night with mixed grip. :)

I see your point here, but when we're talking about deadlifts, how much of that training is targeting the shoulder?

It's not targeting the shoulder, but it's important to realise that rotation ay one joint has further implications on the rest of the body. It would not surprise me if it was found that different sides activate differently with a mixed grip due to the shoulders.

i use normal overhand until 140kg.
then i use a mixed grip, alternating bewtween sets.

also feel uncomfortable when my left hand is supinated. feel stronger the other way, though i think its a mental thing...

never tried a hook grip...cant see me getting past 140-150 with that grip, same as normal grip...

180 last friday night with mixed grip. :)

I have held 300 with no issue with a hook grip. I can guarantee you that it will be just as strong as your mixed grip/ The only issue people have is how much it hurts at the start.

I'm going to give hook grip a shot tomorrow when I deadlift. Never used it before, always thought hook grip was another name for the normal over hand grip.

It will take some getting used to. It hurts like hell at first.

Luckily my grip is weak and so I had to start using hook grip at like 110kg. That way I got used to it when the weights weren't heavy enough to be really painful and now it doesn't hurt anymore lol.

I've used it a bit doing power snatches and cleans. Mind you 80kg to 160kg+ is a fair difference in terms of weight on your thumb lol

Alternate between each set when training, use your strongest on the day of competition.

The main function of the bicep is to supinate the hand- the arm fully extended with the hand supinated makes the bicep vulnerable.

In my view the mixed grip might keep the bar stable, but at the end of the arms are just a small factor.
+ 1