• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

DB shoulder press

Hmm ok thanks food for thought.

Sorry just one more question, is there any way to squat without a squat rack, as i do train at home some days.

no.

simply buy a power rack from gymdirect. The best $500 you'll ever spend.

can you direct me somewhere on how to do this please?

Thanks fadi

triceps-seated%20dumbbell%20french%20curls.gif
1184369317KZMB1D.jpg

Dumbbell_French_Press_-_Start.jpg
SeatedTricepsDumbellCurl1.jpg
arnold-schwarzenegger-triceps-extensions.jpg
overhead-tricep-extension.jpg

triceps.jpg

Fadi.

Last edited:
Or if worst comes to worst you can do lunges and single leg squats instead coupled with heavy deadlifts. But it would be best if you could squat.

Maybe power clean up the bar and do front squats.

Fadi, is there any benefit to doing the french db press seated, or is standing better?

Maybe power clean up the bar and do front squats.

Fadi, is there any benefit to doing the french db press seated, or is standing better?

Hello Mick,

24_Utility-Bench.jpg

I find an upright dumbell bench with foot support to be the ideal tool when performing the French curls (or seated d/bell curls). The reason is that…

1) It takes the pressure off my back and
2) Due to #1 reasoning, it frees up my mind and enables me to focus on the main task ahead, which is blasting my triceps.

Why am I emphasising the foot support?

Because I find by digging my feet in on the resting bar and stabilising my upper body, I'm placed in a position where I can generate much more power and direct it all (again) on my triceps.

Similarly when I was performing incline d/bell bench press; by placing my feet on the racked dumbells, much more power can be generated in my upper body, (chest in this case), as opposed to resting my feet solidly on the ground where I feel very unstable which would ultimately result in strength and/or power loss.

Take home message: Stability is key to high performance where no power leakage is allowed, period!

Fadi.

i have in the past cleaned the bar and done front squats. I had one problem though, i think i was doing them wrong as the next day where the bar was sitting my shoulders would be sore. What was i doing wrong?

Nothing probably (I wasn't there so can't be certain) but front squats are rested on you deltoids, a weight sitting on your muscles will cause some soreness. You will get used to it.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was just thinking the other day
that my Triceps are not sore enough
after my 'lying tricep extensions'.

Wanted to vary them and NOW I know
how.

Will do them and see the effect!

Thanks all.

If you're looking for a tricep isolation exercise then my vote is for skull crushers. I use an easy curl bar as I can then get my hand angles right to really hit the middle head for maximum power but it works the whole group and I get a huge pump.

But I'm with others in agreeing go compound and not isolation to start with. Do some big bench work and your triceps will come and you'll get the added bonus of chest and shoulders. Focus on bench, squats, deads as the three core lifts in your programme across a three day split and add in assistance exercises to each. Or, just do all three on an alternate day programme like Markos' starting strength. Whatever, just make sure you do these lifts as the core of your programme.

I remember a great comic frame which had this immense unit talking to this ripped little guy. The little guy was saying stuff like: "I do leg extensions, db lunges, single leg cable hamstring curls, calf raises seated and standing and still I can't bulk, what do you do?" And the big guy just says: "Squats." You get the idea...

Cheers,
Mike